Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New Orleans Marriott (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-orleans-marriott-150771/)

Max Jan 29th, 2002 11:10 PM

New Orleans Marriott

I am considering the New Orleans Marriott for our Anniversary. Is this hotel located in a safe area? I would greatly appreciate your comments.

Chas Jan 30th, 2002 04:46 AM

The Marriott is right on Canal St. It certainly is safe during the day and we felt fairly safe at night. We try to avoid Canal St at night however and take the side streets from the FQ to get back.

Melinda Jan 30th, 2002 11:03 AM

We were to stay at the Marriott in New Orleans for a week this past September. We went with another couple and the lobby looked nice and the location was good but the room was so old. The tee tiny bathroom turned me off immediately and then the film on the windows and dust everywhere. We called and got an upgrade and that room was horrid overlooking a burnt out looking building that I think was being torn down. We then called our friends and they too had moved to a second room. We checked out and went to Windsor Court for only 60 dollars more and were blown away at the level of service and romantic first class accomodations. We had one of the nicest vacations ever there. The Marriott is an old battle horse of a building but others might disagree but if I was to go to New Orleans I would definitely stay someplace else. There are so many great little boutique hotels and such that the Marriott is not the place even though we usual count on them for a good hotel in most cities.

Max Jan 30th, 2002 11:21 AM

Thanks for your replies. Would you suggest The New Orleans Ritz Carlton over The New Orleans Marriott on Canal Street? This is a special occasion and I would like it to be a safe, clean, comfortable and memorable one.

Casey Jan 30th, 2002 11:29 AM

Have you looked into the Embassy Suites in the warehouse district?

Casey Jan 30th, 2002 11:35 AM

Melinda, I think you are talking about the Courtyard Marriott on Charles Street, not the New Orleans Marriott on Canal Street. If I'm wrong, let me know.

melinda Jan 30th, 2002 01:05 PM

Casey I am talking about the big one right in the middle of everything where they have all the conventions which I believe is the one on Canal Street. thanks for so politely wording your response as I am alway a bit timid to share my views as you get so beat up on this site. I think it would be just fine if you were there for a business convention or with a group of friends who just wanted to party the night away and not be "romantic." Marriott was nice enough to credit us points for our 7 nights that we were supposed to stay there. I was just hugely disappointed as we have two little kids and this was our big "get away" week for romance. The Windsor Court is always in the top ten hotels in Conde Naste. We got a suite at Windsor and it is was just beyond nice and I know Max's wife would love it. Just nice formal "old money" feel to the place and I never really feel safe in New Orleans but sure did there. We loved doing the town at night and then coming back to their cigar bar or having a late hot tub in the quiet surroundings. Hey I am ready to go again now...

Casey Jan 30th, 2002 01:37 PM

Melinda, I appoligize for my error. Thanks for correcting me and informing us on the latest happenings at the Marriott. Unfortunately, the Marriott chain has not been up to par for the last couple of years. I prefer the Embassy Suites.<BR>Max, good luck!

Scott Jan 30th, 2002 04:06 PM

I agree with the poster who mentioned the Embassy Suites in the Warehouse District. The suites in the main building are okay, but the ones in the adjacent "Lofts" building are among the most attractive hotel accomodations I've ever seen at a reasonably-priced hotel. A pretty good location for heading over to the Riverwalk, too.

cindy Jan 30th, 2002 04:22 PM

I agree with Melinda. I live near New Orleans, and we recently spent the weekend there and did not consider staying at the Marriott because I would have expected it to be just as Melinda decribed.