Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New Orleans locals and other "in the know" visitors help with Sunday and Monday dinner. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-orleans-locals-and-other-in-the-know-visitors-help-with-sunday-and-monday-dinner-330132/)

MAP Mar 25th, 2008 03:56 PM

New Orleans locals and other "in the know" visitors help with Sunday and Monday dinner.

Love NO but haven't been since Katrina. We need help with dinner Sunday and Monday's. Price range flexible, 75-100 for two, but no exhorbitant "art on a plate." We love Commander's brunch, for ex. Also "down home" cooking is great. Any thoughts on Couchon, Cafe Adelaide, Stella, Taqueria Corona, Tommy's, Bon Ton,Cafe Amelie,Jacques Imo, Elizabeths? How about eggs and the fixins breakfast Monday or Tues. morning? Love Camelia Grill but ready for new place, too. We will stay on FR. Q. but have a car. Thank you!

WannabeinaMontserrat Mar 25th, 2008 06:34 PM

A place that is seldom mentioned (but very good) is Dominiques' in the Maison Dupuy hotel on Toulouse St. More of a local hang-out that a tourist destination. I have also heard many good things about August, but have not personnaly dined there...

otto Mar 25th, 2008 07:18 PM

so glad you are heading to new orleans. try "herbsainte". had a very enjoyable meal there the day before the chef won the james beard award last may.

MAP Mar 26th, 2008 08:34 AM

Otto, is Herbsaint owned by the Couchon people? What do you think of Couchon? Thanks.

beckytx Mar 26th, 2008 10:13 AM

I had my 1st anniversary dinner at Stella last summer and loved it! Without wine or extras, dinner for 2 should fall into your range.

be_6489 Mar 26th, 2008 10:57 AM

Hi MAP -

Glad that you're making a trip to NOLA. Have been to both Tommy's and Jacques Imo's and think they are both very good. Recently had a great meal at Upperline (but I think it might be closed on Mondays).

Taqueria Corona is a great Mexican place (Magazine St). It is casual and probably costs $10-$15 per person (not including the margaritas).

MAP Mar 26th, 2008 11:46 AM

Thank you. Stella sounds great for one dinner, and Mexican might be good for the other. Do you have any thoughts for breakfasts other than the usual rec. Petunia's, Mothers, and Camellia Grill? Is Elizabeth's good? Cafe Adelaide?

Callaloo Mar 26th, 2008 01:02 PM

We enjoyed Cochon when we went there last spring (during Jazz Fest). Casual feel in a modern setting (Warehouse District -- meaning concrete floors, high ceilings, metal and wood), pleasant service, and highlighting all things piggy -- pig done exceptionally well in a homestyle Cajun way. I actually went a little out of the box, and had fab rabbit and dumplings in a cute little cast iron skillet.

The desserts were old-fashioned too. And don't forget the moonshine -- but it's not the rotgut you expect, but rather a slightly corn-tinged liqueur.

A really unique experience.

otto Mar 26th, 2008 02:24 PM

not sure, map. herbsainte was also featured on anthony bourdain's new orleans episode of "no reservations".

Dana_M Mar 26th, 2008 04:07 PM

Breakfast--Cafe Adelaide has a great breakfast. I stay at the Lowes often, and have had breakfast there many times. For real ďdown homeĒ cooking you might want to try Motherís for breakfast.

Dinner--I highly recommend Couchon for great unpretentious food in a casual atmosphere. A little less casual, still not stuffy though, is Bayona. It's one of my favorites. I have not been to Herbsaint or to Restaurant August, but have heard they are both excellent.

MAP Mar 26th, 2008 04:14 PM

Yes, Callaloo, I heard the rabbit and dumplings was good. Hadn't heard about the moonshine and will try it. Otto, Herbsaint is tempting, but Cochon sounds more down our alley. Maybe next time.
Dana, Mother's is very hard to miss, so I think we will pick up stuff to go and enjoy it in Florida for the rest of our vacation. Glad to hear Cafe Adelaide breakfast is good and will go for sure.Thank you for your tips and more are always welcomed.

mah1980 Mar 26th, 2008 04:45 PM

Favorite places in various ranges:

1. Restaurant August (most expensive but cheaper for Fri lunch).

2. Cafe Adelaide--only for lunch

3. Tommy's-great for dinner and lots of atmosphere; excellent wine list

4. Couchon for lunch

5. Luke--newest John Best (of August fame) restaurant that is really good. A lot of the chefs at August work lunches at Luke during weekday lunches.

6. Bayona--my favorite restaurant in New Orleans. The lunches aren't too expensive and it is a cute place in the quarter.

Dana_M Mar 26th, 2008 04:55 PM

Café Adelaide--Iím a big eggs Benedict fan, and theirs is very good. The French toast is to die for.

Cochon--If youíre a pork eater, youíll have lots of excellent choices, but the fish is also excellent. And try the oyster roast, even if you just split it as an appetizer.

Oysters -- If you like oysters try the broiled oysters at Dragoís restaurant in the Hilton. But donít eat at Dragoís. The food is terrible. Have a drink at the bar and order a dozen broiled oysters.

Motherís--That sloppy food is going to be awfully hard to eat in the car, and I bet the aroma will get to you before you get back to Florida. I was in New Orleans a few weeks ago. Iíd had a little too much to drink the night before, skipped breakfast, and had a morning meeting at the Hale Boggs Federal Building across the street from Mothers. The meeting finished around 10:30 and since it technically wasnít lunch time yet, I had a crawfish etouffee omelet. Sounds terrible, but it was really good.

Mandinaís--I canít believe I didnít think of this before. I guess I was focused on the French Quarter. Since you will have a car, and you seem to like good food in casual settings, youíd probably really enjoy Mandinaís. Itís on Canal Boulevard, towards City Park. I love their soft shell crab.

nolaluver Mar 26th, 2008 05:15 PM

Cochon is great - wonderful oyster BLT and the best pulled pork bbq sandwich I've ever eaten. I'm a big fan of NOLA in Fr Qtr. Some people think that the Emeril's restaurants are overrated - but I love NOLA. We sit at the food bar, right in front of the wood oven and all the chefs and it's a delight. The food is reasonably priced, ample quantity (we spliet entrees, etc) and I love the shrimp & grits, duck, fr chicken, redfish, etc, etc.

BKD Mar 26th, 2008 05:24 PM

Mother's for breakfast. That one is easy.

Stella is probably my favorite restaurant, but you might have to stretch a little outside the budget.

Herbsaint is wonderful. I like it much, much better than Cochon. Shrimp grit cakes, tomato shrimp bisque at Herbsaint and the rabbit are all great.

If you like oysters go to Casamento's on Magazine. Had about two dozen raw and a oyster loaf the other night. Wow!

Mandina's is probably a good idea, too, as a medium priced place. Cash only.

Someone mentioned Mexican. MEXICAN??? I don't think so. Not in New Orleans. But if you want to try an ethnic restaurant, Cafe Minh on Canal near Carrollton is fantastic. Higher end, very creative Vietnamese food. Great stuff, friendly and talented owner. Medium priced.

Your problem is going to be finding restaurants open on Sunday and Monday. You may not have a lot of choices. Good luck and have fun,

MAP Apr 2nd, 2008 09:53 AM

What great responses! Thanks. I have a reservation at Cochon, and we definitely will have breakfast at Adelaide's. Mother's food will be for comsumption once we get to Florida, so we won't have to worry about Po-boys dripping down our arms. Ha. Can anyone give advice on breakfast at Elizabeth's in the Faubourg Marigny district? Am still thinking about Hersaint after such good reviews....and Stella.