Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New Orleans Hotels: Intercontinental or Crowne Plaza?

Old Mar 19th, 2003, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

My husband and I are debating which hotel we should stay in New Orleans in April:

1. Astor Crowne Plaza @ Canal & Bourbon- French Quarter.
OR
2. Intercontinental on St. Charles Ave.

We have never been in NO and are not familiar w/ New Orleans'areas & map, not sure what the environment/location is. We prefer moderately quiet nights to sleep but don't mind the crowded street as long as the hotel room is well soundproofed. Not sure how noisy fr. the hotel room of Crowne Plaza. Not sure how far & how covenenient to get around fr. Intercontinental.

BTW, there are no major fest/event in NO when we 'll be in.

Your recomendation is greatly appreciated!

Kayla
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 03:19 PM

We stayed at the Intercontinental serveral years ago. Not a bad walk from the Quarter, but if I was choosing, I'd stay closer. I haven't heard anything bad about the Astor, and many good things. I doubt if noise would be a factor either place, even though the Astor is on Bourbon.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 03:53 PM
Kal

We stayed at the Astor this past Oct. and had a room that o'looked Bourbon St and no prob w/ noise. We were about 2 floors below the top floor (14 floors?)

We heard an occassional car stereo boom-boom but not really enuff to keep this light sleeper awake.

Great location. Good service. Large, pretty new room.
Kal
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 04:25 PM

We stayed at the Interconti last year and enjoyed it, but it is not within walking distance of the French Qtr. imho. It is also in an area where I would not go walking at night.
We also stayed at Le Meridien, and it was perfect - close to FQ, but very quiet. (I liked the Interconti a little better, but the location was not good for the FQ. It was very good however, for walking to some of the other NO sights during the day.)
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all of your experience sharing.

Further question: which hotel ( Intercontinenetal or Crowne Plaza) would be more covenient to get to these places?

French Quarter
Audubon Zoo
NOMA
Aquarium
Garden District
shopping on Royal & Magazine St.

Many thanks,

Kayla
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 03:38 PM

I would suggest getting the 3 day streetcar pass. It will take you almost anywhere you would like to go, including into the French Quarter. The rides are unlimited for the 3 days.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 05:12 PM
Dan

Kayla, the two hotels are only 4 blocks apart so either location is fine for the sites you mentioned.

I prefer the Intercon but the Astor's nice as well.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 05:30 AM

We stayed at Astor Crowne Plaza in Nov. 2002 and found it to be an excellent hotel. Rooms were nicely furnished and hotel was very clean. We found the location was exremely convenient. At the corner of Canal and Bourbon you couldn't ask for a better location. Our 9th floor room overlooked Bourbon and noise wasn't a problem. The location is at the edge of the French Quarter and a short walk to the Aquarium, shopping on Royal and Magazine Streets, the river attractions,
Harrahs, etc.. The St Charles street car stops across the street. Did not visit NOMA, or zoo.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, everyone! The travel tips definitely ease our minds for the getting- around plan. Living in Southern California, we get used to hop in the car to get around town. gt;)

Old Mar 21st, 2003, 01:55 PM
Kal

Aloha Kayyyyla, A great city map I recommend for all big cities like New Orl. is "MapEasy's Guidemap to....".

http://www.mapeasy.com/prod_me.html

We've used them for all big city trips, even European big cities...and they are waterproof in case it rains!
I'm sure even a So Cal bookstore carries them (GO Kings!);-)

Make sure you try Jacques-Imo's Restaurant when you go. If it's not raining ask for the seat in the back of the pick up!

Let the good times ROLLLLLL!
Gras Kal
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kal, for the tips on map & restaurant in NO.

I agree that the easy maps are quite covenient. We had used them when we were in the metro cities like Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Vancouver, and Seatle.

BTW, what is the best fr. Jacques' restaurant?
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 04:11 PM
Kal

??? "fr. Jacques'".

Old Mar 21st, 2003, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Jacques-Imo's restaurant. I think I had seen a dining seen in the back of a pick up truck on the " The Best of..." show on FoodTV. Can't remember if that is the same restaurant you are talking about.

Which dishes would you recommend or their best/signature?

Thanks,

K.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 11:42 AM
Kal

Alohaaa kaaaylaaa (Can't get Derek and the Dominos out of my mind now),

J-I's is the very same one you saw on The Foodie. Jacques was in the back of the pick up with the host-guy who is too cool for the room.

Here's the webby: http://www.americascuisine.com/neworleans/jacquesimoschef.html

The stuffed pork chop was killer.
Ditto the bronzed sea scallops in a jalapeno pear sauce.

They also have a dish called "Godzilla meets Fried Green Tomatoes". Softshelled crab up on it's hind end looking over a bed of FrGreenToms and mashed potatoes.
We got 2 orders of Austin Leslie's fried chicken for an appie. (6 of us)
Very good.
Dining room in the back...walk thru the kitchen to get to it. "Eclectic decor" to say the least!

2 pretty funky bars located next door so if you have a long wait (usually) you can pop in next door and wait if
J-I's bar is too crowded.

About a $10-15 taxi ride from the FQ
depending on tip.
We weren't planning on going to NOLA this year but after seeing that show, who knows now!?!?
Kal
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ka,

Thanks again for the food tip; you make me hungry! The soft-shell crab sounds great.

I'll definitely get a taste of unique NO cuisine. That is one of the fun parts of traveling.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Ooop, your name was chopped out. I meant "Kal".