Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New Orleans Hotels? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-orleans-hotels-1150558/)

lindsyb Nov 11th, 2016 05:40 PM

New Orleans Hotels?

Hello,

I have a big 'oh bday coming up at the end of March 2017. I am trying to convince hubby to take me on my first trip to New Orleans. We are usually National Park type travelers and not really into big cities- but I really want to go. Since we aren't big into parties/nightlife are there any hotels in certain areas that you would recommend? Budget wise I would be looking in the mid$200 range but if ther was something super special - would have some wiggle room. Thank you for your help.

Dukey1 Nov 12th, 2016 09:44 AM

If you absolutely want to stay IN the French Quarter I would NOT pick any hotel ON Bourbon Street.

You could stay on Canal or elsewhere nearby the Quarter and easily walk into it.

Dukey1 Nov 12th, 2016 09:45 AM

Read Trip Advisor reviews which will speak to noise levels and yes, IMO, those reviews ARE accurate. I know because I write plenty of them.

Scotia Nov 12th, 2016 09:53 AM

In 2014 I stayed at the Astor Crowne Plaza. It is at the corner of Canal Street and Bourbon Street which is convenient to French Quarter. It is a newly renovated Hotel and is classified as deluxe. I think it will meet your budget.

BigRuss Nov 12th, 2016 01:53 PM

BTW, there are plenty of national and state parks in and around New Orleans, with the attendant Cajun wildlife (gators, gators, gators) and Spanish Moss and swamps, etc. Easy to find and take some good trips.

lindsyb Nov 13th, 2016 04:31 PM

I have done some more research, read a ton of reviews looked at pics and thoroughly confused myself.

For about the same price ($200/nt) I could do the following:

Bourbon Orleans - Traditional King

French Market Inn - Balcony or the Deluxe King would be less - is the balcony worth it and not too loud?

Hotel Provincial - Premium King

Place d'Armes - Jr. King Suite

LeRichelieu - King bed

Dauphine - Premium King room in Carriage, Hermann or Main House - which would be best

Astor Crowne Plaza - King in Alexa tower

Not sure because of all of the different room types - are any of these better choices? Would appreciate first hand thoughts from any of you if you have stayed in them.

rncheryl Nov 14th, 2016 12:20 PM

We stayed last year at the French Market Inn, in a balcony room. No problem with noise at all. And had the added bonus of sitting on the balcony watching a couple of wedding parades go past. Very friendly staff at the desk. Easy to get to anywhere in the Quarter, and we also used the bus to get to WWII museum

starrs Nov 15th, 2016 03:21 PM

My favorite hotel in New Orleans is the Dauphine Orleans.
If it's a romantic trip, splurge a bit and stay in their Hermann House rooms. Across the street, behind a locked gate with a few rooms around a courtyard with a fountain in the center. Simply lovely.