Search

New Orleans Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 08:08 PM
Stacey

New Orleans Hotel

In April, 2 of my friends and I will be visiting New Orleans (from Chicago)for four nights and we have narrowed our hotel selections down to two; the Sheraton and the Queen and Crescent. We don't need alot of frills (more concerned with location to activities/restaurants) however we do want to be comfortable. There haven't been many postings about the Sheraton and from what I have read on other websites, the Q&C is very small and it doesn't have showers.

Has anyone stayed at either of these locations and do you have any recommendations between the two? At this time, the nightly rate at the Sheraton is 2x that of the Q&C. I would rather use the additional money on entertainment but I also do not want to stay at a low budget hotel.

Thank you for your input....

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 06:48 AM
gail

Did you check the Rants and Raves section? I am pretty sure there is feedback there.If it were me I would choose the Queen and the Crescent. The Sheraton was o.k., but could be anywhere USA.Hope you have a great trip!

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 07:35 AM
Stacey

Thanks Gail for your reply.

I did check Rants and Raves and it appears that both hotels are rated pretty closely. I was concerned with the quality of the Q&C because of the low price.

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 10:09 AM
Tina

It's been alot of years since I stayed at the Sheraton (on Canal St, right?). I liked it for the location. It's right on the edge of the French Quarter, an easy walk down the street (can't remember the name of the cross street, Bourbon maybe?). But it's a Sheraton --- if you're seeking more 'local color' then there are smaller hotels that are within the quarter that have "old world charm".

I'm not familiar with the 'Q&C' -- think they're also on Canal St, but several blocks away from the Sheraton.

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 10:18 AM
Tina

--
Stacey, this is only one man's opinion, however as I was surfing down through past topics I found this commentary regarding one of your hotel options. You may want to re-visit your selection list.

=====================
CRESCENT ON CANAL IN NEW ORLEANS

Author: Deb ([email protected])
Date: 1/26/2001, 11:16 pm ET
Message: Has anyone ever stayed at the Crescent on Canal Street hotel in New Orleans? I can't find out much about it, although there were some incredible rates. Any info. would be greatly appreciated!

Author: John ([email protected])
Date: 1/26/2001, 11:40 pm ET
Message: Deb, this is probably one of the worst hotels in the country. It was previously the Ramada on Canal. It's situated on a bad part of Canal near housing projects and is next to the interstate. In fact, some rooms are less than 20-25 feet from the freeway lanes! The 900+ room hotel has 300 rooms operating...the rest are "dormant" and the whole place is spooky.

So now you know why the rates are incredible! Sorry.

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 11:30 AM
John

Hi all. The Queen & Crescent and the Crescent on Canal are two different hotels. (There's also an Omni Royal Crescent, but that's another story altogether!). The Q&C is okay. The Crescent on Canal is not. Q&C is located near Poydras on Camp. Not a bad location but not as good as the Sheraton. Also, the Queen has received bad reviews from a couple of AOL folks so I'd keep that in mind.

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 05:43 PM
Tina

John -
Thanks for clarifying. I thought I was helping out and I made things even MORE confusing!!!

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 05:37 AM
MoveOn

test