Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New Orleans help please (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-orleans-help-please-1032579/)

nmbook Dec 21st, 2014 07:23 PM

New Orleans help please

I've been to new orleans once before on a girls trip about 3 years ago. This time as an xmas gift I've booked a trip for me and my boyfriend for march. Plane tickets were quite high from Louisville to New Orleans so I used my credit card points for hotel. My choice was between the W and 4 points by Sheraton. I choose 4 points by Sheraton for location (i got a balcony on bourbon st and we luv people watching). Is this hotel a huge mistake? Should I cancel and just bite the bullet and pay for a hotel?

I also booked a food tour for us because we love eating and have found in other cities its a great way to eat and lean some history about the city.

Is there any other tours we need to take? We r only going to be in New Orleans for 3 days.

And most importantly I need restaurant help. Last time I went to NOLAS. We are wiling to take cab but we have 2 lunches and 3 dinners while we are there. I/m not going to lie, we aren't huge seafood fans.

emd3 Dec 21st, 2014 07:41 PM

I have stayed at the Four Pointps in the French Quarter twice in the past two years, for 3-4 nights each time. Once was in April at Jazz Fest time when the quarter was very busy, and the other was in late Oct./early November. Really liked the hotel both times. fantastic location, solid service, but we did ask for a quiet interior courtyard room both times. A balcony on bourbon sounds really loud to me. You can people watch all day and night all over the quarter but I want my room quiet for sleeping. And the hotel is on a corner, so once you step outside the door, you can duck down the side street to get off of Bourbon.

We had a very nice and romantic dinner this past Oct. at Cafe Amelie in the beautiful courtyard. More to the menu than seafood there. Our best meal by far was at Tableau, a Brennan's restaurant overlooking Jackson Square-- the food was so good, the drinks were memorable, the service stellar but not fussy, and the view from the balcony seating was incredible. Would return there in a heartbeat. I had
lamb chops, he had the filet of beef bernaise, all incredible, and we both had the fantastic turtle soup--- get the turtle soup, it was phenomenal.

emd3 Dec 21st, 2014 07:48 PM

this past Oct. we went on two tours with French Quarter Phantoms tour co. One was a walking tour of Treme, neighborhood rich slave history, music history, civil rights history, and it is just across rampart St. From the Quarter. That was a big highlight of the trip. Also did their St. Louis Cemetary tour. Personally I would do one of those tours instead of a food tour in New Orleans. There is rich history in both the cemeteries ( very unusual), and Treme, that you won't get on a food tour. And you will be eating meals anyway...

BigRuss Dec 22nd, 2014 11:04 AM

Swamp tour? I'm a teenager if I know the company we used (and I've been past the teens for years).

You could do a one day plantation tour - it'll probably take you to Oak Alley and maybe Laura.

This is my favorite food in New Orleans and it's not aquatic - http://www.cajunsausage.com/. I pump them so often here I ought to get a cut (I don't).

Hobbert Dec 22nd, 2014 02:13 PM

I love Cochon Butcher. Amazing sandwiches and house made pickles. And no seafood in sight ;)

KVR Dec 23rd, 2014 02:42 PM

We just returned from our 3rd trip to NOLA a couple of weeks ago. We love tours and have done many. I've used www.neworleans.com to book some of our tours. I have 2 trip reports with photo links posted here if your interested.

For your first trip, I would suggest a full city tour. There are several to chose from. It's a great way to see most everything and know what you want to go back and check out more later. 3 days is not nearly enough time to see, do, eat everything you want. If you can add on a few more days you will thank yourself later.