Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New Orleans help (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-orleans-help-319925/)

irifox May 23rd, 2003 03:47 AM

New Orleans help

We are thinking of flying into New Orleans next weekend. Where do you recommend staying? We are looking hopefully at the $150 or less price range. Close to restaurants and things to do at night. Is it true...do you have to stay in the French Quarter?

faubourg May 23rd, 2003 04:54 AM

I would recomend you check out www.bbnola.com for a listing of bed brearkfasts in New Orleans. You will definitely find prices below $150.00 per night. I would also suggest the Fauourg Marigny neighborhood as a place to consider instead of staying in the Quarter.

J_Correa May 23rd, 2003 08:05 AM

You don't have to stay in the Quarter, but if you've never been to NO before and esspeciallly if you will only be there for a few days, I would recommend it. You will be close to tons of restaurants and attractions. You will be able to take the streetcar out to the Garden District. If you are worried about craziness and noise in the Quarter, as long as you don't stay on Bourbon St, you really don't have anything to worry about. We stayed at the Cornstalk Hotel on Royal and it was very quiet at our hotel.

Siberian May 23rd, 2003 08:52 AM

If you're leery about staying right in the French Quarter, try the Mariott. It's about two blocks away from the French quarter. It's very nice and puts you within walking distance of most of the hot spots in New Orleans. The Garden District is nice but you'll have to take the streetcar down to the Quarter. Don't forget to try a Hurricane and the mud puppies!

EnglishOne May 23rd, 2003 09:08 AM

We came home from New Orleans a couple of weeks ago. We stayed at the Chateau Lemoyne Holiday Inn (not to be confused with the other one in the FQ). It was only one block from Bourbon St, but in a quiet area all the same on Dauphine (Sp?) St. The hotel was $119 per night and it was more than adequate. Lovely pool set in a courtyard.

jedivader May 23rd, 2003 09:19 AM

I was in New Orleans a few days before Mardi Gras and we stayed at a Comfort Inn a few blocks up from Bourbon Street. Rooms are under $100 a night, new renovation, polite/helpful staff, free breakfast. You do have to walk a few blocks through what looks like a bad area, but we had no problems. You are walking on a main street, so I doubt anything would happen. Staff said that we would be fine walking in that area. Check it out !

jedivader May 23rd, 2003 09:33 AM

Sorry, It was a Clarion. Two blocks from the French Quarter.

Clarion Hotel
1300 Canal Street
New Orleans, LA 70112
Phone: 504-299-9900

JAS May 23rd, 2003 09:44 AM

Hotel Monteleone is great little hotel with low prices.

Bri_Neelan May 23rd, 2003 11:18 AM

The Monteleone is a very large hotel with expensive prices. You can find deals during slack periods but it's definitely a $150-200 hotel most of the year.

MarkFromMA May 26th, 2003 06:59 PM

First time? Stay in the FQ.

Tight budget? Try www.hotels.com for a deal. Try to stay away from the most famous chain names. They are fine but have less "local color."

Still having trouble finding what you want at your price? priceline.com might work for you.