Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New Orleans good "non-touristy" restaurants suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:35 AM
lisa

We are going to NO tomorrow for a long weekend and staying at the Iberville Suites. I've read a lot about the "must do" restaurants but wondered about smaller, a bit less expensive, non-touristy restaurants that are especially good. Thanks.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:58 AM
joebob

Commander's Palace might be touristy (at least high on the list of must see restaurants-not necessarily touristy) and expensive, however, I'll put up with tourists and would take a second mortgage on my house to eat food like theirs everyday! Don't miss it.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:31 AM
kjulie

I love Commanders. Go there for lunch it is so much less expensive and you get the same quality. Other favorites are:
Margaritaville
Louisiana Pizza Kitchen
Veranda Room in the Intercontinental for Sunday Brunch
Top of the Hyatt get the chocolate desert buffet. (If it is still open. Last time I went it was temporarily closed)
Masparo's (There are two in the FQ and they are not the same restaurant. This one is across from Jax Brewery #1)

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:34 AM
native

I live uptown and two of my favorite restaurants are Vincents and Clancy's. Vincents is on St. Charles Ave. (you can take the street car, it's a little past Tulane/Loyola Universities but before Riverbend). Their Veal Roberta, topped with lump crab meat is too die for. The other "mostly local" restaurant I would recommend is Clancy's at 6100 Annunciation, near the zoo. You would have to take a taxi (or you could take the Tchoupitoulis bus if you are adventurous)though it might not meet your "less expensive" criteria though.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:44 AM
lisa

Thanks for all your replies. A friend at work also suggested Irene's Cuisine and Dick & Jenny's...Sounds like Commanders is a must.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:16 PM
Sue

Masparo's is a must..$1 Strawberry daiquiris & great beef brisket.

Have fun!

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:23 PM
Dan

Irene's wasn't touristy years ago but now the word is out. I wish they took reservations because I hate waiting in line!

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:34 PM
Sheila

Johnny's has great poboys. Absolutely nothing fancy about the place but great food.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:10 PM
TC

We love Feelings Cafe for a great dinner and Mother's for breakfast is a must.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:15 PM
Lenore

My picks are Palace Cafe for Crabmeat Cheesecake, and Mandinas Restaurant for their specials. Both are on Canal Street but are worlds apart.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:33 PM
Lee

I highly recommend Palace Cafe on Canal Street. It's owned and operated by one of the family members of the Commanders Palace retaurant and it is delicious! I ate there for lunch and was very impressed. It's a high dollar lunch but well worth it (and dinner would be much higher). All the food was delicious, from the freshly baked bread, salads, entrees, and dessert--try the chocolate chip bread pudding. It's amazing!

Old May 17th, 2003, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just tried the new pizza place over on St Philip last night, Leaning Tower. OMG, it was soooooo good! The price wasn't bad either. And I liked the idea that I could get my Abita Amber is a big ol' fishbowl glass!
Old May 17th, 2003, 12:52 PM

GatorLady,
Hi-ya, I think I've seen you around these parts b4. Couple of ?'s for you. Is N.O. doing anything to keep the Conquest in port there? I know it is using Gulfport for now but I was wondering if you have seen anything lately in the papers.
Is the JW Marriott going to re-do the Meridian or leave it as is?
My wife and I sure wish we were down by Lamoynes Landing on the river sipping cold brew and watching the boats and people.
Palace Cafe is our favorite res. but we enjoyed the new Bourbon House a couple of months ago.
Will be down Thanksgiving but I doubt I can be away that long b4 I visit. We are 5 hours North. Good talking to you.
Old May 17th, 2003, 01:15 PM

Uglesich's! Where the locals go. Outstanding and very affordable.
Old May 27th, 2003, 03:07 PM

I agree with Biscuit. Uglesich's for lunch is an absolute must. Be forewarned, though, it is not in a scenic neighborhood. I'd suggest taking a cab.
Old May 27th, 2003, 04:18 PM

I don't know that anything in New Orleans is "non-touristy" but some of our favorites are:

For lunch: Central Market Grocery for muflattas

The Gumbo Shop for red beans and rice ( and all things Creole

For dinner: Irenes

Enjoy . . it's a great place to visit!
Old May 27th, 2003, 04:18 PM

opps . . just noticed you are already there . . o well . . .
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 08:54 AM

A great less expensive and more casual alternative to Irene's is Gigolo Gianni's, which is on the next block. Irene's is the 500 block of St Philip and Gigolo Gianni's is the 600 block of St Philip. No reservations are required, and the only time you might have to stand in line is between 7pm and 8pm. It gets really busy then. The menu is not as extensive as Irene's, but it is really good none the less. And they have one thing Irene's doesn't: pizza!
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 12:03 PM

Here's my four cents worth:

Irene's Cuisine
Uglesich's
Cental Grocery
Mothers
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Dan

GatorLady, is Leaning Tower the same place as Gigolo Gianni? If so, you've recommended it twice recently. I've asked around and none of my French Quarter friends have heard of either one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -