Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New Orleans / French Quarter B&Bs (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-orleans-french-quarter-b-and-bs-284626/)

usfdba Feb 3rd, 2003 07:11 PM

New Orleans / French Quarter B&Bs

Hi All,<BR><BR>My wife and I are visiting NO (first timers)for a convention starting March 7, and we're interested in staying in the French Quarter. Thought it would be cool to stay at a B&amp;B or small inn south of Bourbon, where it would be convenient to jump on the Riverfront streetcar (or perhaps walk) to the convention center. Guess another option would be to stay somewhere in the lower Garden District if it's not too far of a walk to the convention center. <BR><BR>Some potentials I've come across are the Jazz Quarters, Royal Street Courtyard B&amp;B, Ariana Inn @ Royal Street Courtyard, Bed &amp; Beverage Guest Apts, The Cornstalk, 905 Royal Hotel, and French Market Inn. <BR><BR>Any comments on these or others would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

J_Correa Feb 3rd, 2003 08:18 PM

My husband and I stayed at the Cornstalk. It was ok, but not worth the price in my opinion.

The house has a lot of character on the outside. The inside needs some work. It's not just that it's old - old is great. Our room was really odd shaped and hard to get around in - squeeze past the bed to get to the dresser and the window. Also, the bathroom didn't have any place to put toiletries or hang up towels, no counter either. Everything was clean though.

The people that work at the Cornstalk were really nice, with the exception of one grumpy man that worked there and he was REALLY grumpy. One woman called around for us to book a plantation tour at the last minute.

The location was very good, right in the middle of everything, but a few blocks from the noise of Bourbon street, so it was really quiet.

The breakfast wasn't much to speak of - OJ, coffee and a corn muffin.

We didn't spend much time at the hotel at all, so lack of amenities wasn't a big deal and there is so much to eat ion NO that a small breakfast wasn't a big deal either. I just think that the hotel charges too much for what we got.

PamSF Feb 4th, 2003 08:20 AM

The Cornstalk is pricey..and as you can read above probably not worth it. Just a few blocks down Bourbon(near Esplanade..Bourbon and St. Phillip) isLaFitte Guesthouse. We have stayed here often and really like it. This B&amp;B gets consistently good reviews. You might check into Soniat House. I think this is located closer to what you have in mind re:location.

PamSF Feb 4th, 2003 08:36 AM

I just checked on Soniat House's location and it is essentially in the same part of the quarter as LaFitte's.<BR>The walk,however, is an easy one. One trip we were at a conference at the Fairmount and stayed at LaFitte's. It was an easy walk and a great way to work off the great meals we were eating.

usfdba Feb 6th, 2003 10:14 AM

Thanks so much for you detailed responses!<BR><BR>Think I've narrowed it down to the Lafitte Guest House and La Maison Marigny (neither on my original list). Was originally hoping to stay off of Bourbon, but these two places have many favorable reviews, and La Maison is apparently &quot;on the quiet end of Bourbon&quot;--which I've read in several different places and really hope is the case. Guess both are just one xtra block from the Riverfront streetcar anyway.<BR><BR>Thanks again!

J_Correa Feb 6th, 2003 10:27 AM

The location for La Maison Marigny will be quiet. It's on the edge of the Quarter and Fauburg Marigny. Bourbon St gets fairly residential once you pass St Philip. You will also be close to Frenchman Street which has some nice clubs - a nice change of pace from the craziness of the clubs on the Bourbon.

SusanCS Feb 6th, 2003 10:46 AM

I think you'll be delighted with La Maison Marigny! I tried to suggest it several days ago but was having problems with this website and was unable to complete the post. Though I haven't stayed there yet, it gets rave reviews from everyone who has. Good luck!

cliffcas Feb 17th, 2003 03:24 PM

My husband &amp; I are planning to visit New Orleans on 3/16 . Can anyone tell me the type of weather to expect. Also, any input on Hotel Monaco.<BR>Anything would be appreciated Thanks.

cliffcas Feb 18th, 2003 12:00 PM

Thanks for the input on Hotel Monaco. I will be booking with them. Just needed a little push<BR> in their direction. Any idea on temperature and type of weather expected in March? Don't want to pack for warm weather and then find out the opposite. Thanks again