Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New Orleans: Breakfast (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-orleans-breakfast-721737/)

frenchtoile Jul 17th, 2007 07:23 PM

New Orleans: Breakfast

Where are the best spots for breakfast. I want the best coffee in town.

BayouGal Jul 17th, 2007 07:27 PM

If you want the true New Orleans experience, Cafe Du Monde for beignets and cafe au lait is tough to beat! :)

starrsville Jul 17th, 2007 07:30 PM

chicory coffee?

BayouGal Jul 17th, 2007 07:33 PM

Yuck, Starrs! LOL

If you like STRONG coffee, then you might like chicory. For fun, look up the history of adding chicory to coffee. :)

starrsville Jul 17th, 2007 08:14 PM

BG, at first I thought you were mocking me and was quite sure you were making reference to coffee shortages during the War of Northern Aggression.

But, alas, I found I was wrong -
http://www.cafedumonde.com/coffee.html

dfr4848 Jul 18th, 2007 05:12 AM

Agree, Cafe du Monde is the classic place for coffee and beignets (and not just for breakfast - it's good anytime and great for people watching late at night or early morning).

For full breakfast, we think Mother's is hard to beat. Great southern cooking (and coffee is good too).

And, yes, if you ask locals about the best coffee, you're likely to get a lot of recommendations for chicory. Definitely worth a try IMO.

ccolor Jul 18th, 2007 05:45 AM

Another great spot for breakfast is Petunia's (817 St. Louis St.). Their crepes are so large they can easily be shared between two people.

Hubster Jul 18th, 2007 06:01 AM

Cafe du Monde. I even drink their chicory coffee at home.

sjbisanz1 Jul 18th, 2007 07:27 AM

Not all are partial to chicory coffee; I love it but my DH doesn't. We just had the French Market coffee in NO last weekend and it was served in all the fine restaurants we ate at. Very good. And I like my coffee strong.

samschack Jul 18th, 2007 07:59 AM

Cafe Du Monde is great but don't wear black

starrsville Jul 18th, 2007 08:00 AM

LOL! The first time I remember reading a caution on this board against black! (But you are right :-) )

radiofanatic Jul 18th, 2007 08:22 AM

another vote for petunia's - amazing - get there early b/c they quickly form a line. I had crab eggs benedict and a bananas foster crepe I split the eggs with one person and the crepe with three other people and was still stuffed!

BayouGal Jul 18th, 2007 08:36 AM

Starrs, I would never mock you, or anyone else. I tease and joke a lot, but I'd make sure you knew it. :) And thanks for posting that link about chicory. I think it's interesting. My little French mother said they really started using chicory again during WWII to make the coffee go further, needless to say, many from that generation don't like chicory either.

Bluebirds is good for breakfast, too.

J_Correa Jul 18th, 2007 08:51 AM

I have found that the tastes of chicory has grown on me. The first time I had it, I didn't care for it at all. But overtime I have developed a taste for it and now I like it. I always find it funny when that sort of thing happens.

beckytx Jul 18th, 2007 09:02 AM

I'm sad to say that I didn't enjoy Petunia's when I was in New Orleans two weeks ago. We went and had a pretty bad experience. First, the coffee cups were tiny, and both mine and my husbands had lipstick marks on them. We couldn't get our waiter's attention, even though there were only a few tables, and we were desperate for caffeine, so we just turned the cups around and drank it anyways. Our waiter totally ignored us and after about 45 minutes without food or refills, came over and said he forgot to give our ticket to the kitchen, but he would give us a free dessert. We just left at that point, which was disappointing because I love crepes, but I was so irritated I couldn't stay.

I love Cafe du Monde, and I couldn't taste the chicory in my cafe au lait. Cafe Beignet on Royale was good too, especially if its hot and you want air conditioning while you drink hot coffee and fried breakfast. :)