Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New Orleans activity/lunch ideas for spouse along on july business trip

Old Jun 24th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tagging along on business trip w/ hubby to new orleans in july...i know...hot, hot, hot!

staying at bourbon orleans.
looking for daytime activities and lunch ideas on my own near hotel(on previous trip we did garden district, cemetery tours, steamboat cruise, ). not a mall shopper, want to experience more of new orleans sights. love history, art, antiques, books, churches, and music. has anyone done daytrip bus tour to plantations or other interesting tour?

they have planned dinners at k-paul's and bourbon view.
would like other suggestions for our open evening...not dressy and walking distance to hotel. also, we both love jazz/blues/zydeco...what would be best bets nearby?

one thing we did not do on previous trips was a swamp tour...would this be totally unbearable in summer?

thanks,
chip's wife
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 02:46 PM

Not really a 'tour person' so I'm not much help there, although Royal St. has blocks & blocks of galleries & antique shops. For that type music I always head to Frenchmen St. & Snug Harbor or The Spotted Cat - http://www.faubourgmarigny.org/. Click on the 'businesses' for others. I'd also check the HOB. www.neworleanscvb.com
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 02:46 PM

Lots of recent trip reports on here as well that you may find helpful.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 04:25 PM

An idea for lunch that would be easy to get to from your hotel is the Gumbo Shop on St. Peter. I have been eating there for years and just love it. Here's the link: http://www.gumboshop.com/.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 01:38 AM

We had a fun time + lunch at New Orleans School of Cooking. It's really more of a show but you will get some cooking lessons and then everyone eats. People sit at large round tables. I wouldn't mind going alone and getting to know the other people at your table. I overheard one person say her husband had stayed back at the hotel to watch tv because he didn't cook but too bad because he missed a lot of fun.

We also did a bus tour to Oak Alley plantation. My only complaint was that I wish we could have stayed a bit longer.

Royal Street was fascinating. There were street performers nearby. Enjoy window shopping or taking a closer look inside some of the shops.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 07:00 AM

Last time we were in New Orleans we took a walking tour of the French Quarter with the Historic New Orleans Walking Tour Co - that was a lot of fun and very informative. We also toured a couple houses in the FQ - the Gallier House and the Grimmer House, I think it is. The 1850 House on Jackson Square is neat too. I can't remember the name of the company, but we also did a culinary tour one day which was a blase - went to different restaurants and sampled some stuff, learned a bunch about the food of New Orleans, and so on.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 07:01 AM

A plantation visit would be something to do. I did that, along with other wives, when my DH was on a week long conference.

Last year we were in LA and NOLA. We visited the Laura Plantation. http://www.lauraplantation.com/ I would recommend that. Also, Oak Alley is close to the Laura Plantation.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 07:02 AM

We did go on a swamp tour about one hour from NOLA. It wasn't all that great but it was fun watching the kids on the tour throw marshmallows to the alligators.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 09:48 AM

Take the ferry across the river to Algiers. The Seven Sisters of Algiers Voodoo Museum is small but relatively interesting. When we went, Mardi Gras World was located in Algiers, but I leaned from a friend it has since moved. We enjoyed walked around the neighborhoods and admiring the homes; many home owners were friendly and were more than happy to share the history of their homes with us.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 03:17 PM

I did tours by Isabelle we did the half day plantation tours. It was great, informative and I liked very much. There is also a WW 1 museum I hear is great. I am not a museum person so we didn't attend this--I did do a swamp tour and I loved it. You have to do the airboat ride though, and it was very interesting. I loved seeing the gators in the wild, they came right up to the boat and were fed. You can also take the city tour which will take you to the mansions along st. Charles and you will see alot more than just walking the quarter. You also learn about the city.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 09:08 PM

Some ideas would be, based on your interests:

World War II Museum
Ogden Museum of Southern Art (since you're into art)
New Orleans Museum of Art (NOMA - take Canal Streetcar to get there from downtown/french quarter)
Plantation Tours (Oak Alley and Laura)
Airboat rides
Royal Street window shopping
Magazine Street window shopping

I recommend an airboat ride over a swamp ride that time of year because the airboat is very fast and provides a breeze. The swamp will be fully alive, green, and the gators will be out in full force. Make sure you do wear insect repellant though.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 08:14 AM

I'm going to echo those who suggest a site search. This city is very well covered here. Here are two threads of mine to get you started:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...experience.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...y-184065-2.cfm

And it bears repeating about tours in New Orleans -- they are not always reliable. For plantations for example, unless Laura and Oak Alley are the destinations, there's a very good chance they won't go out, no matter what the company may tell you; some companies have tour offerings on their books that haven't actually happened in a year or better. Tours normally happen only if a minimum number of people sign up, and usually confirmation does not come until the day before going out.
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:30 PM

I seem to be in the minority, but the Hubs and I did the Laura Plantation tour and thought it was a huge waste of time and money. It was boring, and the bus ride there and back was longer than the tour.
We also did the swamp tour and we enjoyed that. The airboat looked like a blast, but we chose for the covered swamp boat to limit sun exposure in the heat of the day.
We spent almost every night on Frenchmen st - lots of options for food and music. The Marigny Brasserie and Adolfo's were both great for dinner and there's lots to choose from for music.
We also made our way uptown (just north of the Garden District) to the Creole Creamery for ice cream. The St Charles trolley takes you (almost) right there, and it is worth the trip!
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:32 PM

One more thing!
We took a number of tours with a few different companies, and we found that the Historic New Orleans Walking Tour Co was by far the best. We did their Garden District tour, but they have several others to choose from.
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:47 PM

Laura is a Creole style plantation, and like the Pitot House near City Park in NOLA, it's in a comparatively plain style (I actually liked its somewhat understated look). If the preference is to see a huge and fancy Tara-style plantation home, a house like Nottoway is where one should visit, though it's tougher to find an active tour out of NOLA that reliably goes there. An especially nice thing about Laura is that unlike some other plantations, it has many of its out-buildings still intact and standing. Tours of Laura often are combined with Oak Alley, which is a more ornate place, though not as fancy as Nottoway.

I liked all three of these plantations, myself, and found the contrast to be most interesting.