Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New Orleans (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-orleans-13188/)

janine keteri Feb 20th, 1997 10:33 PM

New Orleans

my husband and i ate at several places in new orleans. we would recommend Tujacques at 823 decatur street in the french quarter. be prepared to dine in true southern style. dinner lasts about three hours.all major credit cards accepted. for lunch we really enjoyed the "original" muffaletta sandwich at the central grocery across from the french market.you must eat it in at the old counter style setting to appreciate the true flavor of this italian treat. be sure to end each evening at the cafe du monde for beignets and cafe au lait.the whole world meets here.(do not leave new orleans with out having visited preservation hall. the long line is worth the wait for authentic southern jazz.)

Laurie Feb 22nd, 1997 12:19 PM

Spent Christmas in N.O.this year. Have a "Po-Boy" at Mother's which is just a few blocks out of the French Quarter in the CBD. Classic deli style- Best in N.O. Also, their Jambalaya is fabulous. Muffalettas are also great at Napolean House in the French Quarter. They have a nice coutyard to sit out on if it's nice. If you are looking for a classy dinner, try Antoine's(as in "Dinner at Antoine's") or Mr. B's, but expect to drop a fair amount of cash.

Bill Feb 26th, 1997 04:07 PM

listen to Janine's advice. She knows what she is talking about.

graetz Feb 26th, 1997 06:54 PM

I would suggest you stay at La Mothe. It is listed in this site under hotels. It is an excellent B&B

graetz Feb 26th, 1997 06:55 PM

I would suggest you stay at La Mothe. It is listed in this site under hotels. It is an excellent B&B

graetz Feb 26th, 1997 06:56 PM

graetz Feb 26th, 1997 06:57 PM

graetz Feb 26th, 1997 06:59 PM

Tina Mar 17th, 1997 08:15 PM

What NewOrleanians would consider true New Orleans food is Creole. Not Cajun! Antoine's is the oldest NO restaurant. Serves the classic creole cuisine. So, I would recommend it. Excellent. Tujacques is the second oldest. Went to both in December. Antoines is much better in my opinion. Tujacques has a more limited selection. Galatoires is my favorite. They don't take reservations which can be a problem especially on weekends and after 6:30 pm. Commanders is not in Quarter, but uptown and worth the trip! Bayona is a much newer restaurant, but I highly recommend it also. Gumbo shop is good and much less expensive. Mr. B.'s is a good choice especially on Mon. nite as many others are closed.
Avoid K-Pauls and Brennans.

Jamie Pappas Mar 20th, 1997 04:03 PM

You MUST eat at Emerils! It is a truly amazing restaurant. I would call ahead at least a week for a reservation (before you leave for your trip if necessary). BEG to sit at the Chef's Bar. I guarantee it will be a wonderful experience.