Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New options for budget accommodations in Manhattan (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-options-for-budget-accommodations-in-manhattan-479447/)

Sydney2K Oct 10th, 2004 05:20 AM

New options for budget accommodations in Manhattan

I was in New York in August last year and am returning this December, and I wondered if there are any new options for budget accomodation in Manhattan- any new establishments that have just opened this year.

Any replies would be appreciated!

Widya Santoso

Patrick Oct 10th, 2004 06:24 AM

Maybe someone will know of something, but to be honest, I haven't heard of anybody creating anything new at least midtown in the budget category. Generally the reason places are "budget" is because they are older properties and/or need some refurbishment.
At least that's true if you're thinking budget means something under say $100 a night.
The worst thing is deals are virtually impossible in December. I can fly round trip from Florida for less than I can find a single night's accomodation in the city for December. ($115 with AA).

mclaurie Oct 10th, 2004 08:37 AM

While there are a number of new hotels in Manhattan, none that I know would fall in the budget category. In fact it appears some of the previously budget level places are upgrading/renovating and charging accordingly.

The Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea opened (previously the Chelsea Grand) to rave reviews and I watched as the prices started skyrocketing. It is a good location but very small rooms for the now over $200/night they seem to want. I recently came across a place called the Chelsea Lodge that while not new, gets good reviews on tripadvisor.

What sort of budget do you have? Perhaps a bid on Priceline is the answer.

Mistersmuckers Oct 10th, 2004 07:32 PM

I would recommend priceline, you might be able to get a good deal. Also, there are several hotels managed by the same group that are no frills but inexpensive such as the comfort inn in times square or the red roof inn near the empire state building.

Sydney2K Oct 11th, 2004 03:23 AM

Thanks for your replies; I was looking for any new information that may not be online or reviewed yet but someone might have heard about. Of course I check the Fodor's site for what is being profiled but there might be something new that could be interesting. I'll certainly use your suggestions to make my mind up.

Widya Santoso

mclaurie Oct 11th, 2004 03:28 AM

The group Mistersmuckers refers to is applecorehotels.com.

GoTravel Oct 11th, 2004 06:00 AM

Even priceline rooms are going for close to $200 per night in December.

I suggest you book a cancelable backup and then start stalking websites.

See if Hotwire has anything and try bidding for a room on priceline.

Sign up for Starwood, Hitlton, Bass Hotels, Hyatt and every other major group for last minute discounts. The Affina Group also has great last minute discounts.

Patrick Oct 11th, 2004 06:10 AM

To further explain something I mentioned above about the airfare prices and hotel prices:

I recently found airfares with AA for $115 round trip from Ft. Lauderdale to LaGuardia all through November and December. I thought this was too good a deal to pass up, so started looking for a place to stay first, so I could then book the airfare. I am fairly picky and won't stay at a dump, but I could not find a single place I was willing to stay trying a number of dates for less than a average of $275 a night (plus taxes puts them all over $300). I played with Priceline briefly, and couldn't get anything for under $190-- and that was dropping to three stars instead of four that I would have preferred doing. Frankly with some of the choices of the three stars I was thankful that my $190 bid WASN'T accepted. Yes, I know I could keep playing and MAYBE find something, but to make a long story short, I have given up the idea of going to New York in December!