New Mexico Trip Report

Oct 22nd, 2005, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

New Mexico Trip Report

Overall, weather was great during this week: Highs in the mid-70s, lows in low 50's.

10/1 - Fly into Albuquerque, drive to Santa Fe via Turquoise Trail. Drive was very scenic and interesting in Madrid area.

10/1 - Stayed 3 nights at Inn of the Governors. Excellent location for plaza visits. Better than expected accomodations.

10/2 Museum day in Santa Fe. Museum of Indian Arts and Culture, Museum of Indian Folk Art, Museum of Fine Arts and Palace of the Governors.

10/3 Hiking at Bandelier National Monument. Cliff-dwellings and hiking the Waterfalls trail. Great views and photographs.

10/4 Visited Ghost Ranch in Abiquiu. Tranquil ranch with awesome views. Location of "City Slickers" movie.

10/4 Stayed next 2 nights at Fechin Inn in Taos. Great accomodations, on the busy road a couple of blocks from the Plaza.

10/5 Taos Pueblo. Great time talking to shop owners . Have some fry bread, while you're there. Also spent time at Rio Grande Gorge Bridge. More great photographs.

10/6 Drive to Albuquerque for Balloon Fiesta. Make sure you get to see Special shapes Glow-deo during night-time sessions.

10/7 Previously reserved a flight with Rainbow Riders, which was highlight of trip. We lifted off from the park around 7:30, ride was approximately an hour in the air. Night session, again attended the Special Shapes Glow-deo.

photos can be found at www.pbase.com/bigsac .

Oct 22nd, 2005, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention that we stayed at the Marriott Pyramid in Albuquerque.... an average hotel, but a good location near Balloon Fiesta park.
Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:56 AM

Hi Donnie,

SOunds like a great trip! You visited some of our favorite places. Santa Fe rocks! And we too loved exploring the Taos Pueblo; hard to imagine it's been continuously inhabited for over 1000 years. We just happened to be there the day of a wedding so experienced (from afar) some of the joy and emotion involved. Very cool.

Thanks for posting!

Oct 23rd, 2005, 12:46 PM

Thank you so much for your post!
We've talked about going to New Mexico sometime in the near future, but weren't really sure how to put it all together. This helped us a lot.
Oct 27th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Posting is my pleasure .... In fact, I was inspired to take this journey based upon others who had posted.

There is so much to see and do, next time I will have to attend one of the ceremonial dances at Taos Pueblo, which I was told are very special and spiritual experiences.

Oct 27th, 2005, 06:21 PM
P_M

Your trip to NM sounds lovely. I went to Santa Fe on business a few years ago and I fell in love with that part of the country, especially Taos. Your pics are great too, although I confess that I was sidetracked by the Italy pics. They are all very good, thanks for sharing.
Oct 27th, 2005, 06:29 PM
E

Excellent report, thanks for sharing!
Oct 27th, 2005, 06:40 PM
P_M

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm really enjoying the Italy pics. I have a question--who is the person in the casket in the St. Paul's gallery?
Jan 3rd, 2006, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

P_M,

Your question got me researching as my notes/memory were not complete for this photo.

The body is of Pope John XXIII.
Jan 3rd, 2006, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the trip report! We're going back to Santa Fe in early October--it was one of my all time favorite trips but that was 4-5 years ago. Regardless, I will never forget the movement of the Rio Grand Gorge Bridge!
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:10 AM
P_M

DonnieD, thanks for checking that out for me.

Search this Thread