Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New Mexico Christmas Trip Help (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-mexico-christmas-trip-help-1513641/)

kelliebellie Oct 27th, 2017 12:37 PM

New Mexico Christmas Trip Help

Soooo, our Puerto Rico trip is officially cancelled. Nothing is going to be open or ready. We were hoping to help them bring the tourists back, but it is just not going to work out.

So my mother-in-law has American Airlines credit for us all and now we are thinking New Mexico. Pretty much the opposite of Puerto Rico. But anyway, we are still figuring out which city we are flying into, but it is looking like the Santa Fe to Carlsbad route is nice.

We did Arizona two Christmases ago, so I'm assuming similar weather. Not warm, but warmer then Michigan.

In Arizona, we really enjoyed the hiking. We are going with my mother-in-law who is a fit 72 year old, us, and our three children ages 8 to 13. The kids love the natural stuff.

With all of us, renting VRBO homes worked well in Arizona. We would like to do that again. So my questions:

1. Where are the best home bases and how many days in each?

2. What are the not to miss parts of New Mexico. I'm literally starting from scratch here and will do some research, but whatever you can think of off the top of your head would be great.

Thanks in advance!

MmePerdu Oct 27th, 2017 12:48 PM

"...how many days in each?"

How many have you got?

The weather in the north of both states is similar, as is that in the south. So it depends on where you were in AZ and where you are going in NM. My preference by far in NM is in the north, Taos & Santa Fe.

DebitNM Oct 27th, 2017 01:05 PM

ABQ is really the only city/airport to fly into.

Santa Fe and Taos will likely have snow. It should be blue skies with lots of sunshine that will make it feel warmer than it is. Night time temps are low so be prepared with hats, gloves and winter coats. Yes, we wear down here.

Don't discount Albuquerque for things to see and do; there's some really great things her.

Carlsbad is a long drive from ABQ, longer from SF or Taos. If you are going to do that, plan on staying at least 2 nights to get into the caves once.

kelliebellie Oct 28th, 2017 06:51 AM

Excellent! I didn't know about Taos. I will check into that. Good to know about sun. We don't get much sun in Michigan that time of year, so that will make the snow easier to take.

My mil wants to see Los Alamos. Are there things to do there?

We will have 7 to 9 days total.

Good tho know 2 days for Carlsbad.

I think we will fly into Alburq and out of Roswell. That should make the Carlsbad trip easier. We have credits to use up on American from the hurricane Puerto Rico problem.

DebitNM Oct 28th, 2017 07:05 AM

Bradbury Musuem in Los Alamos. Hiking and outdoors things, but at that time of year... could be cold and not such good footing on trails.

MmePerdu Oct 28th, 2017 07:07 AM

That all-too-frequent issue of too many places, too little time, is upon us, IMO. Though you haven't said what your interests are in particular, the northern part of NM is, to my eye, far prettier than the south. I'd reconsider your current wish list, fly in & out of ABQ, drive straight to Santa Fe, for several nights, then Taos and the beautiful countryside and small towns including Abiquiu if you're an art-lover, before returning to Albuquerque for 2 nights before you leave.

I think a guidebook is in order if you don't have one already, to really know if the long detour south to Carlsbad is the best use of your short time.

emalloy Oct 28th, 2017 01:25 PM

When you are in the Los Alamos area you are very near Bandelier NM. It is a very interesting ancient Native American site with dwellings carved into the soft rock of the mountain side. It's less than an hour from Santa Fe.

Between Albuquerque and Santa Fe is Tent Rocks, fun for hiking if the weather permits.

jlub Oct 28th, 2017 07:26 PM

You did not mention your actual Christmas plans, or for that matter your budget. If time and budget and Christmas plans permit, I would look into renting a Pueblo style home in Santa Fe region and light Luminarias (or is it farolitos) for a very special Xmas eve. Or just find the areas of town and visit them. As emalloy mentioned Bandelier National Monument is perhaps 20-30 minutes from Los Alamos, (maybe not if it snows). If your kids ski or snowboard, just above Santa Fe is a ski area (I've never been so I can't say how good it is). As others have mentioned, you should be prepared for the weather both personally and for your vehicle(s).

dorkforcemom Oct 28th, 2017 10:57 PM

Since you have credit with American Airlines, you might take a gander at flying in and out of Santa Fe rather than Albuquerque. It's a wonderful small airport with car rental about five steps from the gate - no need for shuttle bus to remote lot, etc. We fly in and out of Santa Fe airport on American spending about 7 weeks a year in northern New Mexico. Have fun planning!

travelottie Oct 29th, 2017 03:33 AM

Unless the airport has expanded recently, ABQ airport is not large and car rental lots are adjacent to terminal, a very short walk away. No shuttle bus required.

DebitNM Oct 29th, 2017 01:57 PM

ABQ rental cars are at a remote location; have been for several years now. It's a short 5 minute ride.

Service to/from Santa Fe is very limited via flying.

Santa Fe Ski Area is a good, decent ski area; husband skis there all the time and he's a pretty picky skier.

DebitNM Oct 29th, 2017 01:59 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=sant...w=2048&bih=980

emalloy Oct 29th, 2017 02:43 PM

DebitNM, that information about car rentals was my recollection too. Most of them were in the same remote lot and there was a gas station on the road before you into it where you could fill up last minute too.

DebitNM Oct 29th, 2017 04:08 PM

Correct, emalloy

kelliebellie Oct 29th, 2017 05:55 PM

Thanks all! After a very long evening of googling, I have sort of put this together.

(It would make more sense to fly into Roswell and out of Albuq, but the car rental was like $2000)

We are keeping Carlsbad because the husband and the kids will really love it. And me too!

12/25 Arrive late, just stay near airport in Alb. Pick up car the next day.

12/26 Drive to Carlsbad with some interesting stops along the way. Four hour drive total. Spend night in Carlsbad.

12/27 Do Carlsbad caverns. Spend night in Carlsbad.

12/28 Drive to Santa Fe. Try to find a house to rent. Use that as our home base. Lots and lots of day trips about an hour or less away. Taos, Los Alamos, etc. Spend New Year's Even in Santa Fe.

1/1 Head to Albuquerque. Spend one night in old town.

1/2 Spend day in Alb. spend night at the airport. Turn in the car.

1/3 Fly home SUPER early.

lindagj Oct 29th, 2017 06:47 PM

Don’t dally. Only two months. Houses might be tough for just four nights especially ending with NYE. Santa Fe is very popular over the holidays and if a house doesn’t work for whatever reason hotels could be hard to get. Would need two rooms for six people I am thinking. We tried a few years ago for our holiday anniversary and were out of luck. Ended up in Albuquerque which wasn’t a bad thing. Had a good time anyway. I know you haven’t booked flights but might they be pretty booked at this late date? Or maybe I just like things wrapped up early so I don't have to keep thinking about logistics and can enjoy thinking about the fun.

DebitNM Oct 30th, 2017 04:25 AM

Sounds good but I think you may need to switch the order.
It may be easier to find a place in Santa Fe first dates, than over NYE.

kelliebellie Oct 30th, 2017 07:42 AM

Thanks all! NYE in Santa Fe looked so nice and my mother in law was able to book some Villas something that sounds sort of like a cross between a house and a hotel.

Flights are booked and she's finishing the rooms. She booked Puerto Rico through AMEX travel, so I think they might be helping.

So I guess we are all set! Thanks!

sludick Oct 30th, 2017 10:48 AM

Enjoy, kelliebellie! We spent NYE in Santa Fe a couple of years back as well. There was a little snow on the ground, but crisp blue skies. We were able to go to Bandelier and do some hiking (some areas were icy and so closed off, but just some).

MmePerdu Oct 30th, 2017 11:29 AM

Pecos National Historical Park is another interesting possibility not far from Santa Fe. It's got it all - Pueblo Indians, Spain & Mexico, Santa Fe trail, even a Civil War battle.

https://www.nps.gov/peco/index.htm