New Mexico and Texas in November 2009

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on a trip to New Mexico and Texas in November 2009 and would appreciate any advice, suggestions or tips. The plan is to arrive in Houston on 16th November and travel around the state of Texas and New Mexico for 2 weeks. I will be travelling alone.

Can anyone tell me what the weather will be like at that time of year? Also, as I won't be hiring a rental car I wanted to know if there are any companies that offer day or overnight tours for hiking trips etc that I could join.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 04:21 AM

Mid to late Nov can be all over the place. The later half of the month we've gone swimming in the Gulf and also scraped ice off the windsheld. Hard to tell. And it really does depend on which parts of the both TX and NM. Generally, NM (especially areas like Santa Fe) will be cooler than TX. That said, you're chances of good weather are pretty good.

Would plan on layers. Couple of sweaters and light jacket, but also be prepared for some warm spells.

I am afraid I can't help with tour info. Public transportation is not good in either state. Would really recommend you reconsider getting a car. I think it's pretty essential if you really want to explore both areas and do things like hiking, etc.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 04:34 AM

Might help to add that if a car rental for most of the trip is really out of the question, check fares and schedules on Southwest Airlines. They cover most every major city in the state (TX) very well (and ABQ in NM) and usually have good fares. They aren't listed on most search sites like kayak.com so check them directly [www.southwest.com].
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 05:23 AM

It would be difficult to optimize your time in either Texas or New Mexico without a rental car. If you have no choice but to be without a car, then I suggest that you pick two cities that offer public transportation and fly between them. Keep in mind that the public transportation that we have in our cities is much slower than public transportation in places like NYC and Washington, DC. You'll likely have further to walk and more transfers to deal with.

Even with a rental car, I would encourage you to stick with no more than 3 cities. Keep in mind that the drive time between cities is very long - especially the drive from the I-35 corridor to New Mexico.

If I were you, I'd rent a car and spend the entire two weeks in the Hill Country...including Austin, San Antonio, New Braunfels and the area to the west. It is more likely that you can find some type of group heading out for hiking from the Austin area than any other city in Texas. Check for singles groups - they are pretty active in Austin.

dfr4848's recommendations about weather are accurate - November is difficult to predict. Texans have been known to wear shorts on Christmas some years, have ice storms on Thanksgiving....sometimes all in the same year. Sometimes temperatures can swing 50 degrees or more from one day to the next. It is possible to have 80 degree weather on Monday and snow/ice on Tuesday and then 80 degree weather again by Wednesday afternoon.

I suggest that you post some more definite plans - like which places you plan to visit and what your interests are - and you can get some better suggestions.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Firstly I would like to tahnk you for your suggestions and tips. I would like to drive but where I come from we drive on the otherside of the road. So I wouldn't feel very comfortable.

My plans are still up in the air, but at this stage i am planning on visiting San Antonio, Austin, Santa Fe and Taos. From these cities I was hoping to join day tours to do some hiking and sightseeing.

My interest is in the great outdoors. To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, some of my previous trips have been to Sedona, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Yosemite, Zion and of course the Grand Canyon. As I only have 2 weeks should I spend most of my time exploring one state such as New Mexico or concentrate on staying in say San Antonio and Santa Fe and do day trips. Also do you think its work spending a few days in either Houston or Dallas.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 06:43 AM

The places you have selected are good, I see no reason to visit either Houston or Dallas (Texans of course, are likely to disagree). Your best bet may be to fly from SA over to Santa Fe (or Albuquerque). It will be difficult to get around w/out a car. Check on the prior posts here re: Santa Fe & Taos, you may find them helpful.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 07:23 AM

Even being from Dallas and living in the Dallas area my entire life, I agree with SanParis2...No point in visiting either Dallas or Houston. I always direct people to the Austin/San Antonio/Hill Country area unless they are dead set on seeing something else.

With 2 weeks, I think that you can easily split your time between the Hill Country and Santa Fe, NM. You can just as easily spend the entire two weeks in one or the other...But I think that one week in each is sufficient.

I'll try to post some ideas for the Hill Country later this evening.

Since you are not renting a car, I assume you be flying from Houston to San Antonio or Austin and then to Santa Fe, NM and then back to Houston for your return flight? Or are you planning on bus/train?
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 07:27 AM

You can fly from DFW to Santa Fe on American; otherwise, you will have to fly into Albuquerque ABQ.

You can take the Railrunner from ABQ to Santa Fe. It is mostly a commuter line, so service is pretty much morning through early evening. As of now, no Sunday service.

I am not sure how you would get from Santa Fe to Taos via public transportation. Maybe a bus, but there isn't any rail between the 2 cities.

There will most likely be snow in Taos by November, especially in the mountains. Same for the mountains of Santa Fe. Snows at elevation starts mid to late September. It has been pretty wet summer so far, so snow in town could be possible in November, but no predictions by me!

As has been stated, you can get around by public transportation in cities, but it is time consuming and again, most of these buses will be for in town use, not going out to mountains/hiking areas.

Deb
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 07:34 AM

Ah, the "wrong side of the road" problem. I know it well. I've survived that challenge (sorta) but only you can make that decision for yourself.

Considering your interests, I'd spend about half my time in San Antonio/Austin/Hill Country and half in Albuquerque/Santa Fe/Taos. Yes, considering flying between SA or Austin and Albuquerque on Southwest.

From Albuquerque there is a train to/from Santa Fe. Get details and schedules at www.nmrailrunner.com.

Another option is to take the Turquois Highway between Santa Fe and Albuguerque. It's one of the old roads through some small towns, very pretty and not a lot of traffic. The road is in good shape so I think you could manage it.

If you're doing day trips, you really might have to drive on "the wrong side" but you could google something like "hill country tours", "Taos tours" etc and see what comes up.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 10:39 AM

>>I am not sure how you would get from Santa Fe to Taos via public transportation. Maybe a bus, but there isn't any rail between the 2 cities.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the update, Lee Ann. I saw that on another recent thread, and completely forgot about it. That's what happens when you are out of the [NM]loop for a bit.

Deb
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 11:13 AM

Some favorites of mine:
Santa Fe: Bandelier Park,Green Chile Cheeseburger from Bobcat Bites
San Antonio: Sopaipillas at Mi Tierra,looking at the homes in the King William district, walking along the Riverwalk
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 08:24 PM

The large hotels can provide the sight seeing tours you are looking for. They can also (sometimes for a fee and sometimes for free) pick you up from the airport. There is a fabulous hotel in NM,the Hyatt Regency Tamaya located 10 mi north of ABQ. It's on the Rio Grande river and very beautiful. You can book all sorts of biking/hiking/horseback riding trips through the hotel activity desk. The trainstation is nearby for a nice ride to Santa Fe. Enjoy your stay, it's beautiful here in November. Cooler weather & bugs and snakes are gone!!