Christmas Week in Charleston, S.C.

Old Nov 10th, 2012, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas Week in Charleston, S.C.

Driving to Charleston day after Xmas for 4 days' stay at Charleston Mills House. Seems there are many holiday-type activities (which is what I want...all the kids are scattered this year). Any fans of Charleston with food recommendations? We live in Durham/Chapel Hill area and usually don't choose 'southern fare' but would welcome favorite breakfast/lunch spots and dinner restaurants that you love. Also would appreciate anything (especially visual) that I shouldn't miss. Soooo excited about going and, in fact, already planning second trip there to stay at MIddleton Plantation while prices are still halved. Husband is Civil War buff so pls. include anything exception in that direction. Many thanks!
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 04:03 AM

Many have written great trip reports. You could start by using the search feature to look those up.

Traditional lowcountry food can be found in many world class restaurants in Charleson and people come specifically for that. If you don't like "southern fare" you could still enjoy local seafood. It's oyster season. Look at Hominy Grill, Dixie Grocery, Toast for breakfast, SNOB, Jestine's, Husk, Fast and French, Fleet Landing, Butcher and Bee, and 82 Queen (best she crab soup n town) for lunch, Anson, High Cotton, FIG, Tristan,Hank's, Oak, Hall's, The Grocery, and McCrady's for supper.
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 04:04 AM

I hit submit too quickly.

Go to Ft Sumter. Take either a carriage tour or a walking tour so you can learn the history of what you see and et your bearings. Then enjoy walking through the Historic District. Christmas is lovely in Charleston.
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 01:18 PM

A route suggstion: The logical route to Charleston from Durham would probably be down I-95 then I-26 into Charleston.

However, I'd suggest you consider getting off I-95 in Florence SC and taking 76 over to the Myrtle Beach area and then 17 through Georgetown and on into Charleston. The distance is roughly the same. 76/17 will be a little more time consuming but it is worth it. Once you get south of Myrtle Beach you pick up some really pretty and interesting country. Murrells Inlet is the seafood capital of the Carolina with great lunch spots. Georgetown is a great old colonial town. Between Georgetown and Charleston you will be driving through national forest and crossing a couple of beautiful rivers. About 12 miles out of Charleston you will be in Awendaw, home of the Seewee Restaurant a truly down home, local, seafood and country cooking place. [Suewoo recommends].

My experience has been that 95 is somewhat of long line of almost bumper to bumper during the holidays. Check it out. Jumping off in Florence may be a good move.
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 02:02 PM

I always go down 52 to St. Stephens, then 41 to 42 to 17. It's mostly 4 lane and the 42 part into Mt Pleasant is through the Francis Marion Forest. I like that route, but it's not for everybody. It's very rural, but there's barbecue at Brown's in Kingtree.

I HATE 95. But I love the Seewee. My route doesn't come ou that far up, but it's really worth the trip.
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 05:15 PM

Having just moved to the area I have never seen the Festival of Lights at the Charleston County Park on James Island, but my relatives, and the newspaper, tell me the display is a must see. The workers were just finishing the installations this past week when I was driving through the park and I got a good idea why. It's about a ten minute drive from Charleston.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 06:59 AM

ronkala,

I went once. I thought it was ok. I enjoy the parade of boats much more.

http://www.charlestonarts.org/about-...rade-of-boats/
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 11:39 AM

Thanks suewoo, it looks interesting. My nieces told me they have all sorts of things planned for me, so this may be on their list.
Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 08:14 PM

My favorite food places are: Toast (great variety); Poogan's Porch and Hominy Grill!!
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 05:03 AM

I second Weber's idea of Route 17. Stop at Brookgreen Gardens just south of Murrell's Inlet. They will have their Christmas display out in the Gardens, and the art and sculpture is a world class collection. Gift shop has lovely things also. It is REALLY worthwhile. The Huntington's summer home across Route 17 is also VERY interesting--built in a Moorish castle design. It is not furnished, but just walking through it is a very unique tour.
Brookgreen IS the grounds of an old plantation, and they have added a slave quarters tour, I believe, but don't know about the frequency during a holiday time.
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 05:22 PM

Bookmarking.
We are in a similar situation. Kids spread all around. It looks like this will be our 1st ever Christmas as empty nesters. We are thinking of renting a house on the beach at Edisto Beach for Christmas week. We would go to poke around in Charleston and Beaufort, too