Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What happens if you lose your ID while traveling out-of-state?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 02:36 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully I will never need this advice, but I've often wondered how one would get on a plane to come home if you should lose your ID while traveling in another state. We all know that if you lose your passport while overseas you must get a new one before flying home. But I don't think I could walk into a DMV in a state where I do not reside and get a new driver's license or ID card. Does anyone have any first-hand experience?
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 02:41 PM
TC

I'm not sure what would happen and not wanting to find out, I always travel with a copy of my driver's licence and the first page of my passport.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 02:51 PM

Well that is a very good question P_M, wish I had a very good answer.

TC's suggestion about a copy of ones DL is good (never thought to do that) but wonder if the airline would accept it along with a PD report the DL was lost? Wasn't there a poster about a year ago whose son lost is DL when they were out of state? Seems if memory serves me right it was quite a hassle but I don't rememeber the outcome although I am sure he got home. Well I hope he did!!

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 02:51 PM

My husband and I both lost our ID's in Hawaii. We stopped to boogie board one last time before going to the airport, and our driver's licenses floated away (husband forgot to zip the pocket in his swimming trunks and both of our licenses and a couple of credit cards were in the pocket).

Anyway, we filled out a form at the police station that stated that our licenses were either lost or stolen.

We went through extra security before boarding the plane. The security people at the Kona airport were very nice and understanding.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 03:05 PM
P_M
Original Poster

That's good to know, kureiff, considering that I will be in Kona this fall.

I like the idea for copies of the ID's, and I will take copies with me from now on. It certainly won't hurt to take those along.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 03:13 PM

People, don't visit places from which you can't take Amtrak or Greyhound back
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 04:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
When I travel within the U.S. I still carry my passport (along with my drivers license). I assume either one would get me on a plane.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 04:36 PM

You can fly without an ID, but you have to go through extra security.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 04:42 PM

I was just in Atlantic City at the Borgata. A wallet was stolen from a ladies purse that I was with. We contacted the airline prior to her flight with all of the info and she was able to catch her flight with absolutely no id - i couldn't believe it, but she had no problems whatsoever!-
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 07:33 PM

Faina~ that would mean that me and MelissaHI would never be able to leave the islands we're on!
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 08:50 PM

This happened to our son a year ago (he was 19).

We called United to explain that he had no ID to fly Jackson, WY to Boston. They said he should use his passport. We explained that he was in Wyoming and his passport in Massachusetts. They insisted since the trip was "out of the country", he would have had to use his passport. Obviously no help here. The only thing they did say was we should notify local police.

Called Jackson police to file the requested police report. First they said people lose their wallets skiing all the time, so not to worry. Second, they said a police report was useless - as they said "you can tell us anything you want in a police report. That does not make it true"

Most interesting though, they said there is no legal requirement or even official TSA regulation that one have photo ID to fly domestically - but there might as well be since the airlines all require it.

The extra security info is true. They told us to go to airport a little early, attempt to check in and when we had no ID the ticket agent would call over local police, stationed at airport. They would then use whatever means they could to establish likely ID - boarding pass from outgoing portion of trip, luggage tags, hotel receipt plus they would call home RMV to do a match of photos. They also said they might do a fast criminal background check.

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 09:05 PM

Actually P_M, a "lost" ID might be the perfect excuse to not return from Kona.

Can't leave paradise, awaiting new ID, don't call me, I'll call you...

8-)

Disregard all above good, sound advice and stick to my plan, I won't tell if you won't.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:18 PM

My BIL discovered he'd left his ID at home when he got to LAX for his departure. As the airport is 3 hours from home, no way to go home and get it. They sent him to a special security office where they asked him some questions and made some calls and then they gave him a piece of paper to show at the counter. He was able to use that instead of ID for his return trip as well.

But forget that -- I'm for Tiff's idea. If I "lose" my passport while I'm on my cruise next week will thay make me stay on the ship until I can get a new one?? Oh, hurt me!
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 03:48 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Sorry, Faina, I'm going with Tiff's idea. I will make a point of losing my ID, therefore I cannot come back. But I will have to find a way to get my dog to HI, as I couldn't possibly leave her for good.

To those with first hand experience, thanks for sharing your stories, very interesting.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 10:57 AM

To all of you looking for an island assylum - ever heard of a 4-letter word "boat"?

As for Melissa... we'll keep her here, in SF
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 11:59 AM

Yes, Yes P M, definitely go with Tiff's plan, LOL-good one Tiff !!

We carry copies of DL and PP when we travel. We also have copies at home, so if we lose everything-we have a trusted neighbor come in and overnight it or FAX it. We do the same for our neighbor (had this happen to them when in Thailand). Should we be travelling at the same time, my brother has copies
of it all.

Why is it that most travel goes according to Plan B rather than Plan A ?

R5
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 12:39 PM

I have a friend that is in the airline industry and I asked her the question awhile back. Happens frequently and she said you just have to go through extra security so you will need to go to the airport earlier.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 02:21 PM

leave a xerox copy of your i.d back home with a trusted family member...someone who can fax it to you if need be. We leave a copy of our CC cards too, in case of theft we can just call someone to help us cancel them or report them stolen. And any cards you won't need, (library card, grocery card, employee i.d etc) should just be left at home!
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 03:42 PM

tracy - in our case, we thought of the faxed ID idea - but the local police said it would not be acceptable - we had our neighbor go into our house (they have a key) and fax us a copy of the front page of our son's passport - the police said this did not really make any difference and that it was essentially useless as ID (although that did not make a whole lot of sense to me)