Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New Hampshire and Vermont (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-hampshire-and-vermont-1457166/)

twinsmom101 Jul 16th, 2017 08:51 AM

New Hampshire and Vermont

Dear all, we are New Jersey based with 3 kids ( 7 twins and 5) want to explore New Hampshire and Vermont, New England newbies.
Could you guys plz help me in shaping up the itinerary where we get to see the best of both states in August
Just did a random check on hotels which r very expensive so probably 5 days for both states,
We want to do mount Washington for sure in new hempshire and Ben n jerrys in Vermont for kids, other than that plz help this mom to make this summer trip awesome one ....thank you thank you

Ackislander Jul 16th, 2017 12:48 PM

Day 1 -- Jersey to Franconia Notch. Many kid friendly places, some 1950's tacky, in Franconia Notch.
Day 2 -- Crawford Notch and Pinkham Notch. There is an easy hike called the Mount Willard Trail that leads to incredible views over Crawford Notch. You can go to the top of Mt. Washington on the train from Crawford Notch or by the Auto Road from Pinkham Notch. You can't walk up Mt Washington with kids that age.
Day 3 -- US 2 across the northern White Mountains to the middle of Vermont. Ben and Jerry's is near I-89, technically in Stowe but there is a heap of traffic between the factory and the center of the town.
Day 4 -- over the Smuggler's Notch road to Burlington. I am going to Shelburne Farms in August and think it would be as good for kids as for grandpas. An outdoor museum with a lot of historic buildings, tools, etc. or so I am told.
Day 5 -- Burlington to Jersey. You could cross Lake Champlaign on a ferry -- kids love ferries -- and drive down through upstate NY, or you could cross one of rage bridges south of Vergennes and go to Ticonderoga. Eventually, I might try to wind up on the truck free Taconic Parkway to the Tappan Zee and the GSP.

Ackislander Jul 16th, 2017 01:04 PM

I should add that you NEED reservations for hotels and should expect long waits in restaurants. In its wisdom Our Government has cut summer employment visas for the people who do a lot of the tourist work.

One of the corny fun places in Franconia Notch is Clark's Trading Post -- see the acrobatic bears! Ride the real steam train! Fight off the Indians.

In Jackson, at the beginning of Pinkham Notch, there is some kind of old fashioned amusement park base on nursery rhymes. Where the Pinkham and Crawford Notch road intersect, there is a Dairy Queen.

dfrostnh Jul 16th, 2017 01:57 PM

Squam Lakes Science Center in Holderness - wild NH animals in natural habitat. Great docents and educational demos. Our granddaughters wouldn't sit in front row for the live and rambunctious coyote talk. Great opportunity to see animals up close. Docents walk around with more things to see. One had a small owl on her arm and talked to just our family. Another sat with us when we rested and chatted. Look for discount coupons.

there's alsp a separate pontoon boat tour to see loons but the kids might be a little young for this and it's pricey.

Montshire Museum in Norwich VT. Take bathing suits to change into after lunch for water play. Take picnic lunch. You can buy sandwiches etc at King Arthur Flour café and Dan and Whit's country store might have sandwiches, too. This is near the NH border with Hanover and West Lebanon so you might find lodging there. Good motel in Quechee just down the road.

Agree with Clark's Trading post and hikes.

Check lodging prices at condos.

Weirs Beach for swimming also has arcade and if a rainy day might consider Fun Spot. I think our son and his family like Lost River.

I'm guessing you have a 6-7 hour drive just to get as far as Concord NH on I93 heading north to mountains. If you get an early start, you can get to White Mountains in another hour or so, so a do-able drive with kids if you stop to stretch legs. Our daughter-in-law goods playgrounds to find stops to break up long drives.

I would check NH events for when you visit. There are a few special events in August like the League of NH Crafts Fair in Sundapee, Musterfield Farm Old Time Farming Days in Sutton NH. A town might be hosting a hot air balloon rally as part of their Old Home Day festivities. In NH, different small towns celebrate Old Home Day at different times during the summer. It started off as a local party to get people to visit their old home towns. Some have small parades and chicken barbecues. Google NH Old Home Day 2017 to get a list. This is real small town fun so expect that after the parade there will be games for kids in a local park, things like three legged races. Donut eating contests. We have free ice cream at ours. Sometimes fire works at night.

bachslunch Jul 17th, 2017 03:29 AM

The amusement park Ack is referring to is probably Story Land. It's in Glen, NH.

HappyTrvlr Jul 17th, 2017 07:57 AM

Another boye for the Montshire Museum, amazing hands on science museum for kids.
Shelburne Farms has educational experiences for kids in their main barn all day long. Animals to interact with and learn about. They also offer cheesemaking demonstrations.. buy some chese to take home too.

twinsmom101 Jul 17th, 2017 07:13 PM

Thank you so much guys for yr suggestions, my itinerary is beginning to shape , thanks to you guys, will check back with you