Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New Englanders going on southern college trip - nashville to Athens. Please advise.

Search

New Englanders going on southern college trip - nashville to Athens. Please advise.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going on some Southern college visits in a few weeks. Will be driving from Nashville to Athens and Atlanta. Is there anything we should stop to see or do on our way or just drive straight thru?

Has anyone stayed at the Marriott Courtyard in Athens? I haven't found any reviews of it on trip advisor. Is is decent?

Also, any restaurants we should not miss in Athens? I don't want anything fancy. Looking for good, reasonably priced food with a fun sort of typical college atmosphere. If you know of any special breakfast places too, please let me know. Won't have time to sightsee but if there is anything special we should do while in Athens please let me know, particularly for a prospective GA student. Please don't mention bars. Thanks
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 10:31 AM

If the decision isn't yet made for Ga, then you should consider taking the opportunity to head 2 hours south of Atlanta and check out Auburn University as well.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 10:57 AM

There is a place in Nashville close to Vanderbilt University called Pancake Pantry. Great food...cheap prices! There can be a long line though so come early.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 10:59 AM

If you are traveling I-20 to Athens from Atlanta - exit at Social Circle and eat at the Blue Willow Inn - wonderful "old South" buffet! Can also get to it by state highways if you are taking backroad but I don't know the number off-hand.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 11:07 AM

Chattanooga is a neat place to stop on the way. We stayed at the Chanticleer Inn on Lookout Mountain and really enjoyed it although I guess you won't need an overnight so soon.

The Marriott Courtyard is decent. The hotels in Athens are about the same (Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, etc.) It's hard to keep them fresh in a college town.

If you want "atmosphere" you could drive about 20 miles south and stay in the picturesque town of Madison, GA. There are some nice B&B's there. It is used as overflow for GA games for folks who want to stay in a bit nicer place.

Ira, this is your neck of the woods, I think. Any advice?

Plenty of good restaurants in downtown Athens..unlike the days I went to UGA.

You could leave Madison en route back to Atlanta on 20 and stop at the Blue Willow that was mentioned.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

jh76- I have read about the Pancake Pantry here on Fodors and it is a definite!

I would really like suggestions of not to miss places in Athens geared for college age. Good food, maybe unique for some reason, alive with students. I looked at the Blue Willow site and I don't think that is the type of place I have in mind for this trip.

This trip will be Vanderbilt,UG and Emory. In April we are doing VA,and the Carolinas.

If we stop in Chattanooga - any suggestions of what to do in just a few hours?
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:41 AM

Once you get to Athens and take your tour of the unversities with a student/guide ask her/him about recommendations. They know where students go and what places are alive with students.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 09:17 AM

Yes, I've stayed at the Marriott Courtyard-reunion in 2002. It's in the downtown area, a few blocks west of the thick of things. It should be gently worn-the local hotels make their hay during home football weekends. The hotel has a small gym, a pool I believe is outdoors, and is within walking distance of the northern part of campus. Buildings on that side of campus were constructed in the 18th century.

Try the East-West Bistro on Broad Street if you want fine dining downtown and The Grill (across from the arches) if you want burgers (or breakfast) there, or the world famous Varsity for chili dogs, rings or fries west of the Marriott on Broad. The Mayflower on Broad is known for its breakfasts.

Do see the east campus. The Ramsey student center was named the best in the country.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 05:15 PM

I had a fabulous college experience in Athens (only graduated a couple of years ago) and still go back frequently ... it's a great place to go to school. Spend some time wandering around downtown; there's plenty of window shopping and people watching to do.

It's been a couple of years since my parents stayed there, but the Marriott Courtyard was a fine hotel. The surrounding neighborhood is very transitional and I still probably wouldn't walk around there at night, but you're fine walking around there during the day. I've never heard of anyone having problems w/ security in the parking lot or anything. The Holiday Inn and Foundry Park Inn are a little better for walking at night ... Foundry Park is recently rennovated and really nice if you can get a good deal.

Favorite restaurants in Athens ... where to start? Lots of tasty, inexpensive stuff.

Downtown: Five Star Day Cafe (Broad Street) has great southern lunches ... eat early or late as the line goes out the door during the noon rush. If you really want soul food, REAL, no-frills soul food, go to Wilson's on Hull Street. DePalma's (Broad Street) is great mid-range Italian for lunch or dinner. Last Resort on W. Clayton is great for upscale but still cheap lunch or upscale dinner. For burgers and fries, The Grill on College Avenue is a local landmark, but I definitely prefer Clocked on W. Washington St (I think the sign outside just says "Diner" -- it's near the 40 Watt Club).

On Prince Avenue (just off of downtown and an easy walk from the Marriott):
The Grit is a favorite Athens vegetarian place that's loved by meat-eaters, too. Try the Golden Bowl, even if you're not a fan of tofu -- really tasty. Kind of funky, typical ambivalent townie service. They have a good brunch. Just behind the Grit on Meigs Street is Big City Bread, a great place to get morning coffee and pastries, especially since it's so close to the Marriott.

For breakfast, I'd recommend either the Grit (weekend brunch), Big City Bread, Bluebird Cafe (a downtown vegetarian restaurant) or the Mayflower (Broad Street -- cheap, tasty, no frills, Southern breakfast).

I think you'll find the students pretty friendly if you have questions about student life ... don't hestitate to ask them.

Have a great time ...