Search

New England Trip - Can't decide!

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2009, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New England Trip - Can't decide!

Hello,

We are from NYC and will be traveling with our 1 yr old son to New Hampshire near Lake Winneapasaukee (sp?) in August for an event we need to attend. We are going to try to make a family vacation out of the trip and stop somewhere else in New England for 3-4 nights. I've never been to Maine and we are considering it, however I am concerned about driving much further north than Portland because it'll make our trip back to NYC 8+ hours with a 1 year old. Ideally, I'd like to drive south so our trip back home isn't so long. We've started to consider other options, but I'm really not that familiar with New England. I'm thinking Cape Cod, Vermont, maybe even Boston, but the choices are overwhelming! We'll want a place with activities, beach, or lakes, and a family friendly atmosphere. We LOVE good food and are big seafood fans (guess that counts vermont out!). We like the idea of a charming, not over commercialized town we can stroll through and some nice options for lodging.

I know this is really broad, but any ideas pop into your head?
THANK YOU!
Old May 31st, 2009, 05:40 PM

August trip to New England. Not too far from New York. "charming, not over commercialized town." "activities, beach, or lakes, and a family friendly atmosphere." Like seafood.
Hmmmmmm.

First of all, if you're planning even one weekend day, avoid Cape Cod at all costs. In August that area is JAMMED on weekends; and it isn't so great on August weekdays.

I adore Boston as a place to visit, but I think you're looking for something a little less hectic.

My suggestion is to forget the seafood and head for Vermont, particularly the areas that are jammed during the fall foliage season. Because the "leaf peepers" won't have arrived yet, the crowds will be manageable, and the residents will be a LOT more friendly to visitors. The Burlington area, for instance, will give you Lake Champlain, mountains, the original Teddy Bear Factory, Shelburne Museum, etc. When you're done, just hop over to the New York Thruway and head home.
Old May 31st, 2009, 05:58 PM

I agree with Paul that you should look into Burlington for the easiest option. The other option would be Southern Maine in the Ogunquit area.
Old May 31st, 2009, 06:11 PM

With a one-year old, just go somewhere where he can run around. All the beaches will be busy during the summer. I do agree about avoiding Cape Cod.

It is very hard to really vacation with toddlers, as you have to build in nap time, etc. I do remember those days of "vacations" and am glad mine are over. Very difficult. We used to rent a beach house for 2 weeks until they were old enough to be portable.

You could make things easy for yourselves and just stay put on Lake Winneapsaukee. Anywhere near water is good for a kid. At age one, he would probably be happy anywhere he can get dirty, throw sand, etc.
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:53 PM

Lake Winnipesaukee can be pretty crowded in August as well, and parts of it can have a touristy feel. A quieter alternative is the Squam Lakes area (where "On Golden Pond" was filmed) just north of Lake Winnipesaukee (the setting for much of "What About Bob?", although that movie was actually filmed in Virginia).
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 01:38 AM

The southern Maine coast might be the answer for you. York is a popular family beach, for example. Not sure about sun issues, our family always needed some shade, but there are cottages you can rent in York within walking distance of the beach that have grassy backyards with a bit of shade. If you want a more quite lake (Squam is a great suggestion) you might also look into Lake Winnisquam which is south of Lake Winnipesaukee. Just be careful about what kind of beach is available. You probably can't rent a cottage for less than a week. There is some pretty decent seafood in NH's Lakes region. (i.e. Red Hill Dairy in Moultonboro/Center Harbor area, just a take out place but great lobster rolls.) The Weirs/Laconia area is very congested. Meredith has a lot of traffic, too, but the other areas of Lake Winnipesaukee are much quieter. Wolfboro is a pretty town.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 05:03 AM

What town is the event in?

You can easily spend those 3-4 days in and around the "Lakes Region" on New Hampshire which is the area surrounding Lake Winnipesaukee (which is huge BTW) with short day trips that won't overburden a toddler.

Some nice, scenic towns include (but not limited to): Meredith, Wolfeboro, Hanover (Dartmouth College town), Canterbury to the south (visit the Canterbury Shaker Village), take a day or evening cruise on the M/S Mount Washington and see everything from the water's vantage point.

It will be more congested in the summer, but it's all part of summer in New Hampshire.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 05:31 AM

Southern ME would work. You could stay in Kennebunkport or York or Ogunquit and explore all of those towns and Portsmouth NH as well.