Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New England-recommendations (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-england-recommendations-793561/)

plea444 Jul 2nd, 2009 05:26 PM

New England-recommendations

I'm going on a trip to New England with my parents, and we were wondering what places are really great and fun to visit...we won't necessarily be shopping a lot, so a place with things to do other than shop is ideal. We are looking for really great food, beautiful scenery, and entertainment. We've already visited Boston, and are looking for something new. We'll be going in early August, so any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

librartravel Jul 2nd, 2009 05:42 PM

People typically enjoy Newport. I personally am not a HUGE fan but have been a few times and enjoyed the Breakers, a walk downtown and the ocean scenery.

I love Block Island, and Nantucket.

Cape Cod, Provincetown are great, particularly in the off season.... whale watching and the dunes are amazing. Rent bikes and enjoy!

Jaya Jul 2nd, 2009 06:15 PM

What's your travel range? How much time do you have?

plea444 Jul 2nd, 2009 06:26 PM

We're starting in Danby, VT. We'll have about 5 days. The one thing that we want is cool weather, since we're from AZ. (Rain is a plus!!!!!)

Jaya Jul 2nd, 2009 06:33 PM

Too bad you can't visit right now! It's been raining daily and in the 60s for almost a month here in NE. We are water-logged! For us, we can't wait for the rain to stop.

Will try to reply with some useful destination ideas. :)

dfrostnh Jul 3rd, 2009 01:09 AM

Portsmouth NH should be on your list esp for food, scenery, history (Strawbery Banke Historic area), and things to do. There are a couple of theaters plus events in Prescott Park. We love the harbor and inland rivers cruises. There are day trips out to Celia Thaxter's Garden which I haven't been on but might appeal to gardeners. Our favorite drive is Rt 1B thru Newcastle - very old houses but then the fabulously restored Wentworth Hotel. For a nice lobster roll and onion rings at a picnic table, stop at the Ice House. (they also have small indoor dining area) Travel along the coastal highway past the mansions in Rye NH. They aren't open to the public but I hear Fuller Gardens is very nice and it is open to the public. Cap off your visit to the coast with a walk on the Marginal Way in Ogunquit ME.
In VT, Woodstock has nice scenery. Eat at Simon Pierce in Quechee or just enjoy the building, shop, and pottery/glass-blowing demonstrations. Check out their hydro-electric power. DH likes the Billings Farm Museum.
The League of NH Craftsmen holds their annual fair in Sunapee NH Aug 1-9. This is a very upscale show on the grounds of Mt Sunapee. There are daily events. It's fun to ride the chair lift to the top for the views. Fascinating craft demonstrations; absolutely incredible furniture and handcrafted clothing in the lodge. Plan to spend most of the day.
Don't use Mapquest to find your way to the coast. It will direct you to Rt 101 which is a boring limited access hwy. Head to Concord NH, take Rt 393 to bypass the commercial area and then Rt 4 to the coast. This will take your thru Northwood's Antique Alley. As you get closer to the coast it just gets darn pretty. Then you'll change to Rt 16 which takes you over the Great Bay bridges. I just love this approach.
Sunapee would give you a taste of the mountains but NH's White Mountains are even better. Everyone likes to visit the Flume or take the gondola ride up Cannon Mountain.
I'm afraid 5 days isn't long enough but it would be possible to go Danby to Sunapee then on to Portsmouth to spend the night and have dinner. Full day in Portsmouth for activities. 2nd night in Portsmouth. Up to Ogunquit, lunch in Portland ME then head back thru the White Mountains which are only about an hour from Portland. Luckily, a lot of places are really close in New England.

Vttraveler Jul 3rd, 2009 05:32 AM

There are a lot of events scheduled around Lake Champlain for the Quadricentennial of Champlain's voyage of exploration. The lake is very beautiful with the Adirondacks on one side and the Green Mts on the other.
http://www.celebratechamplain.org/
From Danby this area would be close and an interesting one to explore. Montreal is another great destination a little farther north (not New England, of course)

Vttraveler Jul 3rd, 2009 05:46 AM

You could also head south from Danby and explore southern Vermont and the Berkshires

The coastal areas mentioned by others are of course beautiful, too, but they would involve more travel