New England/North East U.S. coast this summer

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking about driving up the coast from NY this summer with two children ages 3 and 5. We have one week, but have never been north of Boston. Any advice where to stop and how far North we can logistically go within the allotted time.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 01:56 AM

There are lots of posts on this forum that the search box will lead you to. Look for Maine coast and go from there.

Do you want things for the kids to do but that could be anywhere like water parks or amusement parks or do you want activities that will be more local, like hanging around docks to see the marine life?

One good thing is that this area is not very big. You can cover the coast from Portland to Bar Harbor in a day. The bad thing is that all the most scenic parts are not on the main roads. You have to get a good map book (DeLorme's is famous) and follow the little byways down to the waterside villages.

Another bad thing is that it will be too cold to go more than ankle deep in the water. But marine life is amazing. Get the books "One Morning in Maine" and "Blueberries for Sal", and read them to your children a lot before you go.

They are old enough for a windjammer cruise of a couple of hours. We enjoyed "Surprise" in Camden, but there are lots in places like Boothbay Harbor.

The Farnsworth Museum in Rockland specializes in Maine art, and they own the Olson house where Wyeth painted Christina's world.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 01:59 AM

You should be able to make southern Maine in a day but I'd make sure your lunch stop was someplace where the kids can stretch their legs. Since you said north, I thought you meant Maine. South of Portland, the beaches are sandy. York Beach was our family's favorite summer destination. With children as young as yours, I would think a week in a cottage within walking distance to the beach would be great.
You could easily get to Portland for a special dinner out and other popular towns like Ogunquit are nearby.
Rockland is about 2 hours north of Portland so this could be a day trip to hike to Owls Head Light (but York has the Nubble Light) and an easy hike to a rocky beach for play and picnicking. Not sure if it would be worth it to have kids in the car for 3 hours each way but adults might want a change of scenery. From York, Portsmouth NH is just a short drive south. You could pick a NH beach for a different day.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 03:57 AM

If you are not from New England you may not understand that New England beaches are not for swimming, they are for looking at. Other than people who are FROM New England no one can stand water that cold (other than maybe Cape Cod beaches in September when it's as warm as it gets). So if you are looking for a sit on the beach and go swimming kind of holiday I would not drive all the way up to Maine.

But if you want to see some gorgeous coast then most of the area from the North Shore (Cape Ann, north of Boston) all the way up to Acadia National Park is great. I used to drive all the way from Long Island to Bar Harbor, Maine in one day but with 3 and 5 year olds I would probably break it up. But certainly in a week you could go all the way to Acadia. As stated above, south of Portland has more sandy beaches and the real dramatic rocky coast is north. South of Portland good towns to stop in are York (light house), Ogunquit (sandy beach, mile long nice walk along the water), Kennepunkport. North of Porltand the Boothbay Harbor area and Camden/Rockport are nice. All the coast, you need to be on the actual coast road, which is usually 1A rather than US1. North of Portland there are a lot of peninsulas that you have to drive out quite a ways (like half an hour or so) otherwise you won't see the good stuff.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your replies - looking to possibly drive even farther into canada- new brunswick or towards Quebec. Looking for nature, simple hiking, and marine experiences. Can you do whale sighting tours in the summer? Any specific lighthouses that I should be looking for. Any other highlights along the way?
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 12:04 PM

This is a great site with map of Maine Lighthouses - and also great descriptions - http://www.lighthousefriends.com/me.html

Here's a link to my photos which includes a lot of the Maine/mass coast http://www.pbase.com/annforcier/new_england

With a week you can easily get up as far as Acadia, spending a night or two or three along the way. But be careful not to try to cram in too much or go too far or you'll spend all your time driving and not have any time for enjoying the places you'll stop. If you hug the coast (which you want to do) it will take a lot longer than just driving up the interstate.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 04:14 PM

You don't have enough time to get to Canada and back in a week unless you never want to get out of the car.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 01:56 AM

Keep in mind the coastal route isn't really on the coast only close. I agree, don't put on too many miles. Suggest you do a family picnic on the top of Mt Battie. Take the auto road. The view is incredible overlooking Camden harbor. Spread a blanket for the kids.
Brunswick has a great farmers market on Fridays. I've read about some other great markets. If it's blueberry season, you'll see trucks along Rt 1 selling berries. Make a simple treat by mixing berries and vanilla yogurt.

I haven't been on a New England whale trip but suggest you double-check on whether it's a good idea with children that young in case of sea sickness. A lobster boat trip might be a lot better and shorter.

If you get to York, it's traditional to watch the taffy pulling machine at the Goldenrod and to buy some salt water taffy to bring home.

Check out the Seacoast Science Center (near Portsmouth NH).