Broadway Shows for 14 year old Daughter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprising my 14-year-old with a trip to NYC for first time in the first week of August. I'm so excited - she's going to faint when she finds out!

I saw a post regarding theatre for teens - and am wondering if anyone has any current information/suggestions on the best shows to bring her to. We'll be there for a week, so we do have the luxury of seeing a couple of shows. She loves music, and is also smart/sophisticated for her age. Considering that she won't be going again (we live overseas) for a while, I'm really hoping to choose the best possible shows for her.

There seems to be a big controversy about Wicked. I haven't seen it, so I have no idea if it's good. I really would like to give her the "wow" factor in these shows, as I had when I was a teen and my parents took my to the theatre. I loved Les Mis, Phantom, Fiddler, Chess...all the classics but don't know what's a hit these days for teens.

Any suggestions?
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 03:22 AM

Wicked is still the go to show for teens. My husband loved it too though.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 03:26 AM

I also vote for wiked, if its anything like the london set design it really is a wow factor. It is really enjoyable and while greta for kids also good for adults. I loved it.

I saw Les Mis a few times as a kid and it is very good but it might be a bit hit and miss.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bowsprit and HG001London, I think I will take her to Wicked.

Any other suggestions?
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 03:50 AM

She might actually enjoy Lion King. Or Phantom. You should take a look on BroadwayBox.com and see what interests you there. There's a thread going on this NY forum that has a lively discussion going about what's playing where with general reviews. Did you see that?
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 03:51 AM

hmm the Lion King is the obvious "big show" but i found it a bit of a let down after so many years of built up of hearing how great it was.

Chicago is really good but maybe she is a little young
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 03:53 AM

Lion King is great.

The thread is titled: Broadway Banter and it was started by HowardR on the New York forum. Browse through that. There's information about the TKTs booth there too.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 04:12 AM

Also consider War Horse. Unbelieveable theatricality, something that almost any 14er would appreciate. It is emotionally-charged, though.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 04:21 AM

IMHO Lion King is not that great (but I'm not a Disney person). I think Chicago is brillian - and if she likes dance you shouldn;t miss it.

Wicked is also excellent - but I' not sure you'll get tickets when you're arivig so soon.

Go to Playbill.com and you can see ahost of reviews - ad which shows are offering discounts.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 05:07 AM

Loved Lion King -- and Wicked. Don't rule out Spiderman. Very entertaining--and great effects.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 05:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I totally agree with Lion King and Wicked. Both are great shows for both adults and teens.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 05:17 AM

Wicked is incredible--the theatricality and creativity are amazing.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 05:33 AM

She loves music, and is also smart/sophisticated for her age.

You might look into Peter and the Starcatchers. The "wow" factor here isn't in fancy costumes or huge sets, but in very clever dialogue and staging performed by a cast up to the task. The night I went, most of the audience was roaring with laughter most of the time - though I was surprised so many people brought young children, because this show is a far cry from a kiddie show. A lot of the fun are in-jokes referencing popular culture and such: perfect for a teen or adult but not for a toddler...
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thank you to all!! I so appreciate your suggestions and comments.

I've looked at some reviews - it's endless!! One could go full-time just to plays (of course with totally breaking the bank!)

Does anyone have any opinions on Sister Act? Is Les Mis playing - I've seen it several times years ago, and loved it but didn't see it advertised.

I'm wondering also if anyone's seen Mary Poppins? or Once? (probably not really for kids, but the reviews were fabulous and I think she'd get it)

thanks again.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 10:23 AM

I've seen Wicked, Mary Poppins and Lion King, all with my daughter, and she (and I) liked them all. All are good choices. Lion King is really all about the costumes, as the story and music will already be familiar to one who has seen the movie. Wicked is much more original.

About Wicked - you mentioned a controversy -- WARNING: PLOT SPOILER....IF ANYONE HASN'T SEEN IT AND DOESN'T WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE PLOT, STOP READING.....the "controversy" may be the adult theme underlying the situation...Elphaba is green because she is the illegitimate daughter of her mother and a traveling salesman. My daughter was too young to pick up on that, fortunately.

We also loved Billy Elliott in London; perhaps it's still playing in New York. Three teen girl cousins saw it, and all loved it.

I second the recommendation for Dylan's Candy Bar (it's owned by Ralph Lauren's daughter Dylan Lauren). My teen daughter wants to go there whenever we're in NYC. She also liked Katz's Deli.

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks bakerstreet. I've seen Billy Elliot with my daughter in Toronto - it was wonderful (that was her first and only show). So I'd like to take her to others.

Still wondering about Sister Act - anyone? Les Mis?
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 12:46 PM

Pass on Sister Act and Mary Poppins. I wouldn't have considered them based on your description of your daughter's preferences. Also based on your choices, I would eliminate Chicago.

Les Miserables hasn't been to a theatre near you yet? I think Peter and the Starcatchers is a brilliant suggestion along with War Horse (intense but so great).

It's worth it to go to Wicked just to see and hear 'Defying Gravity'.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 12:51 PM

I don't think Les Miz is currently playing, but I could be wrong. "Once" is up for many Tonys and is one I wish we had taken the time to see. We also enjoyed "Newsies" which is also nominated for a number of Tony awards this weekend. If your daughter watched "Smash" the actor who played Tom is one of the leads in "Peter and the Starcatchers" mentioned above.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 01:01 PM

Also, for others interested, Billy Elliott has closed on Broadway.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 02:56 PM

Mary poppins is wonderful, as is Peter and the star catcher, but I would also recommend anything goes. I took my 6 yo and she was wowed By the
songs and dancing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -