New England/New York City trip report!

Old Jul 27th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New England/New York City trip report!

In appreciation for all the help I received from this forum , I'm posting a trip report from my vacation.
Day 1- picked up a car from Avis for $386.00 for nine days and was upgraded free to a full size car. I checked into the Days Inn at Mystic Ct.My personal rating 2 1/2 stars, nice grounds, Okay room.
Day 2- We went to Boothbay and loved the Fisherman's Wharf hotel.Personal rating 3 1/2 stars, it had great service, nice room , great view with a balcony.
Day 3- went to Mohegan Island-loved it, very romantic place, highly recommend this.
Day 4- Drove over to the Pemaquid Peninsula and ate at the Seaqull Shop right on the water by the lighthouse. We took beautiful pictures of the lighthouse and the food was excellent.We drove on to Bar Harbor and stayed at the Wonderview Inn- the rooms are okay but, could hear the people's dog barking in the room next to us quite a bit.
Day 5- Went to Jordon' pond for popovers(excellent)Drove up Catallac Mountain beautiful scenery and shopped at Bar Harbor shops.
Day 6- Hiking day! Hiked up the Bee Hive in Acadia National Park. You have to go straight up rocks and walk along small ledges. They have iron bars to help you in most difficult areas. I got a sense of accomplishment after doing this and highly recommend it, beautiful panoramic views.
We went to Thurston's in Southwest Harbor for lobster-great great great food and ambiance.
Day 6- More hiking! We hiked along the ocean trail to see "Thunder Hole" and "Otter Cove" great water action here with the ocean crashing along the rocks. That evening we took a Windjammer sunset cruise for $30.00 per person , 2 hours. I didn't think this was worth $60.00 for the both of us but, my husband loved it. Nice sunset though.
Day 7- We drove to Jackson New Hampshire-beautiful community and stayed at the Covered Bridge lodge- quite the sleeze bag place to stay and it caused us to leave Jackson early.
Day 8-We drove down Rt.112, very pretty country . I enjoyed seeing the old new England towns they have some much charm. We were headed for the Wyndham Arms in the Catskills- good place to stay.
Day 9- Drove along the hudson to see the Mills mansion, Vanderbilt, and Roosevelt's Mansion. Very interesting. We checked in our car at Avis and took a cab to The Swissotel-The Drake. We absolutely loved that hotel! Nice room even though we got it for $125.00 priceline. Good personal staff, spacious rooms, soft king beds and two windows. Highly recommend it.
Day 10- Went to the Bronx's zoo- wonderful zoo, Highly recommend it. Then that evening we went to a Yankee Game! Wonderful to see the monument park; great!Loved to see the fans. Day 11- Took the hop on ; hop off tours around the neighborhood- highly recommend it.Great way to see the city.
In the evening we saw,"Say Goodnight Gracie" about George Burns.Frank Korshin did an excellent job and you actually thought he was George Burns. I highly recommend it.
Day 12- Went to The Met. highly recommend this -spent the entire day. We went to the production "42nd Street" and just LOVED it!Excellent show.
Day 13- Did alot! We took a subway over to Brooklyn to walk along the Brooklyn Promenade then walked back along the Brooklyn Bridge-excellent views of New York.Then ate at "Carmines" excellent food.We did the Harbor lights tour with Circle Line and highly recommend this!Then went to the Empire state building to the observatory. I don't know if it was that I was tired at this point but, I didn't think it was quite worth standing line to do this.
Day 14- We tried to go to Ellis island but, didn't get there until the afternoon and by that time you couldn't see the end of the line. We are exhausted at this point and decided not to go. That evening we went to see "Hairspray", Words cannot describe how much we enjoyed this production. I still think about it.
That's it! My husband did not want to go to NYC but, now thinks it was the highlight of the trip and can't wait to go back. He LOVES it! Observation of the people of New York-I loved them! They are very colorful people with tons of personality! I felt safe the entire time I was there and didn't encounter one rude person. I think they love their city and appreciate sharing it with tourists.This forum helped me with the best trip I have ever planned. Time to plan another one. Thanks!
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 02:35 PM

What an enthusiastic and happy post!! I am so glad you had such a good time in NY
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 10:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks. Wish more people would post about the results of trips that the Fodors Forum helps them plan.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 05:18 AM

Now that is a TRIP!!

Great report, Trisha! You did more in that week than most people do in a year!

I always laugh at the 'snobs' that think Carmines is too touristy! It gives you great value and decent red-sauce enjoyment. Good for you in going over the Brooklyn Bridge! I think that is one of the oft missed highlight of the NYC experience
JOHN
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 07:16 AM

I echo the others' sentiments. Glad you had a great trip.