Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New England - Handmade furtniture (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-england-handmade-furtniture-347720/)

double_d Aug 13th, 2003 11:55 AM

New England - Handmade furtniture

Hello, I would like to know if anyone has bought/window shopped for any handmade furniture (bedroom in particular) in the New England area? Last year my wife and I stopped in Waitsfield, VT and were a little shop called the Green Mountain Workshop. They had some of the most beautiful handmade furniture (beds) and we would like to visit similar workshops this year before we decide on a bed(s) for our children. Any suggestions for handmade bedroom furniture would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

sjh Aug 13th, 2003 01:56 PM

Since no one else has replied I might be of a little help. Last summer there was a beautiful handmade furniture store (all made to order) on Nantucket. I can't remember the name, but it was on the main street near the wharf and it was upstairs- maybe someone else can remember what it is called. I can't remember if there was any children's furniture, but I think they would make anything that you wanted.

double_d Aug 14th, 2003 04:15 AM

Thanks for the response.., I will add it to our list. I know there must be others, and I am hoping for more responses.

Thanks again!

BuzzyJ Aug 14th, 2003 06:20 AM

The League of New Hampshire Craftsmen has wonderful furniture makers as members; they have shops all over New Hampshire.

double_d Aug 14th, 2003 09:02 AM

topping

bookhall Aug 14th, 2003 10:42 AM

Try www.custommade.com . I collect contemporary turned wood, and occasionally run across the furniture guys at juried craft shows. I envy you your search--there're some beautiful things being made out there.

janie Aug 14th, 2003 10:52 AM

Try Pompanoosuc furniture
www.pompy.com.
Handmade, but sold in store in NY/Connecticut, NJ, as well as at their factory in East Thetford, VT

elston Aug 14th, 2003 12:26 PM

Here's a couple of high end, pricey but very nice New England companies:
Furniture by Dovetail with showrooms in Boston and Holden, MA www.furniturebydovetail.com and Charles Shackleton Furniture with showrooms in Woodstock and Bridgewater, VT www.shackletonthomas.com

crosbie Aug 14th, 2003 03:19 PM

There is a beautiful store (again pricey!) in New Hamspire... It is right downtown either Nashua or Manchester. Maybe someone could help out...

double_d Aug 15th, 2003 05:15 AM

Thank you for all the replies thus far. However, I don't think I was completely clear in my origianl post. I am looking for little shops (not corporate). I know this might be a stretch, but I thought I would throw it out there again. We would really like to find an independent furniture maker who has a workshop where we could go and look at his pieces.

Thanks again for all the help so far!

ARKANSASNURSE Aug 17th, 2003 06:45 AM

Will any of these places ship furniture to say Arkansas? I will pay of course.

LN Aug 17th, 2003 08:24 AM

I know that you're looking for New England but for some really nice handmade furniture I can recommend the Amish around Lancaster PA and there's another settlement near Waldorf Md (outside DC). They ake beautiful furniture to your specifications and they're actually not at high prices.