Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New England Getaway Suggestion (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-england-getaway-suggestion-1689566/)

asd04 Sep 11th, 2020 01:40 AM

New England Getaway Suggestion

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to plan a getaway for the week of Columbus Day, ideally somewhere in the New England area (no quarantine needed afterwards for MA resident). I'll be off work the whole week and since I've been stuck in the Cambridge/Boston area since COVID-19 started I would love to do a quick trip to a nearby city/small town where I can spend 2-3 nights at a hotel and where I can relax but also wander around the area and explore. Would be wonderful if any fall foliage remains by then. Not very outdoorsy but simple hikes I can do by myself.

The only smalll (ok big) problem is that I don't drive and cannot fly due to work rules. I'm willing to take buses and Amtrak, followed by an Uber ride to get to the final destination but I would want the final destination be somewhere were I can walk around for those few days and where I can feel safe as a solo traveler.

Thanks!

oldemalloy Sep 11th, 2020 03:43 AM

Look at the Mystic/ Stonington area of CT. There is Amtrack service to Mystic, you could even walk to some of the lodging choices or do Uber/Lyft/taxi from the train station.

There are plenty of dining choices with outside or well spaced inside seating. The Seaport has outside exhibits, tour boats may still be running, shopping on Water street in Stonington, in Mystic and in Ye Olde Mystic Village.

It is not Vermont, but you can expect color in the trees in October.

asd04 Sep 11th, 2020 04:47 PM

Thanks for the suggestion about Mystic in CT! I'll check to see how many of the attractions are currently open.

HappyTrvlr Sep 11th, 2020 06:05 PM

Amtrak stops at Old Saybrook, CT a charming town.

dfrostnh Sep 12th, 2020 12:40 AM

Concord Coach serves Boston with a route up I93 to Concord NH. I believe there is also a route up I95 to Portsmouth. The Dartmouth Coach bus line would be Boston to the Hanover NH area. The foliage in southern and central NH Columbus Day weekend should be wonderful. It looks like Portsmouth Harbor cruises are still running. We've liked both the harbor cruise and inland rivers cruise. Lots of good restaurants in Portsmouth and small shops to explore plus Strawbery Banke historic area.

You can also get up to Portland ME via bus (and possible train - google Downeaster). Check the Casco Bay cruise website. We've done an early mailboat cruise of the islands. There's not a lot of narration but you also have the option of getting off to explore an island. A friend recommends Peaks Island where she has stayed often. Portland has a lot of great restaurants and the Old Port area is fun to explore. We have not visited the Portland art museum.

I would check the city bus schedules and routes that should give you more options to explore even if you just ride the bus to enjoy the scenery.

Vttraveler Sep 12th, 2020 12:20 PM

You probably know this already, but you can't come to VT from the Boston area without quarantine requirements.

I agree with dfrost that Portsmouth NH could be a good destination.

I had thought of suggesting Provincetown via ferry but it looks as though the service ends on October 12th.

zootsi Sep 15th, 2020 01:42 PM

The Dartmouth Coach to Hanover NH might be a good fit. Hanover is a picture perfect little college town. A beautiful town green with towering maples, some fun little shops and very good restaurants. You can even walk across the bridge to Vermont. Some nice walks along the Connecticut river in both states as well as around picturesque Occum pond in downtown Hanover. The Hanover inn is a large upscale hotel right on the green, and the bus pulls in right in front.
An added bonus is that the ride from Boston to Hanover is very scenic once out of Boston.
Hanover is extremely safe.

dfrostnh Sep 20th, 2020 12:53 AM

Yesterday I took a drive in the area just north of Concord NH. Color seems to be coming on pretty quickly. One marshy area was brilliant scarlet from swamp maples which turn color early. Color is usually great that week of October but you might check a foliage map. The coast is warmer so colors don't turn as early. I would not go too far north.

Vttraveler Sep 20th, 2020 08:25 AM

You should read the strict VT quarantine rules carefully before crossing from Hanover NH into VT as suggested. I don't think you would qualify to be in VT w/o quarantine.

Foliage color seems pretty early here in north central VT here as dfrost noted in NH. Usually peak foliage here is the last week in September. I would not come this far north for Columbus Day week.

Tonyr4 Sep 24th, 2020 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by asd04 (Post 17155209)
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to plan a getaway for the week of Columbus Day, ideally somewhere in the New England area (no quarantine needed afterwards for MA resident). I'll be off work the whole week and since I've been stuck in the Cambridge/Boston area since COVID-19 started I would love to do a quick trip to a nearby city/small town where I can spend 2-3 nights at a hotel and where I can relax but also wander around the area and explore. Would be wonderful if any fall foliage remains by then. Not very outdoorsy but simple hikes I can do by myself.

The only smalll (ok big) problem is that I don't drive and cannot fly due to work rules. I'm willing to take buses and Amtrak, followed by an Uber ride to get to the final destination but I would want the final destination be somewhere were I can walk around for those few days and where I can feel safe as a solo traveler.

Thanks!

We were up in Lake Placid this year for the first time. The Mirror Lake Inn and Whiteface Lodge are two great places to stay. If you've never been I'd highly recommend checking it out. My two favorite towns in VT are Woodstock and Stowe but you may have quarantine issues going there.