Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New England etc. 10 day drive (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-england-etc-10-day-drive-1083507/)

lidboymk2 Jan 9th, 2016 11:51 PM

New England etc. 10 day drive

10 day drive. Hi, We fly into Montreal and then intend spending the first night near by. 2nd night at Coaticook near the border with the USA. 3rd night Franconia, then 2 nights near Portland (this is where I would like suggestions, whether to stay in Portland or near by) 2 nights near Boston, (again I see it is very expensive to stay in Boston I was thinking of Rockport or Salem and then take the train into Boston). Then driving back to Montreal via Woodstock or Lebanon (here I would like help with the nicest place) then maybe Burlington or straight back to Montreal for 2 nights.

Many thanks all help will be appreciated.

dfrostnh Jan 10th, 2016 02:21 AM

check to see if you can take rental car across the border.

I think you should be able to find a trip report by yk about staying in an airb&b in Portland that was within walking distance of some good places. The Old Port Area is fun to walk around. You can park in the parking garage by the boat terminal and also take a mailboat cruise of Casco Bay. Chowhound has lots of recommendations for restaurants. The food tour is ok, not great.

I would spend the extra to stay in Boston instead of spending all the time commuting in unless you were only going to spend one day. It depends on how many of you are traveling together. I would be tempted to stay in Portsmouth NH and take the bus or train in since I like Portsmouth better than Rockport and Salem. I use the bus from Concord NH to Boston occasionally. Parking is free at that bus station.

Lebanon NH is next to Hanover. Hanover downtown is interesting and it's home to Dartmouth College. Woodstock VT is very cute and full of tourists. You could stay in Quechee for less money. We have stayed at the Norwich Inn which is slightly north of Woodstock VT. Love the Inn but it's a little pricey. Other Fodorites have stayed at the Coolidge in White River Junction and said it was ok. I think of Lebanon as being mostly shopping plazas. If you stay in this area and it's a Saturday, the Norwich Farmers Market is great fun. You can plan on buying breakfast or lunch there from one of the food vendors. Several years ago we stayed at a motel in Quechee that was fine but no character.

It really depends on the reason for your trip. You could be missing some great scenery/historic areas. If you want to see museums than maybe Salem MA is a great option for you. If you want boat trips, Portland and Portsmouth would be my choice.

lidboymk2 Jan 10th, 2016 03:36 AM

Thanks, I gathered that I needed to check car rental.
The trip is really for the scenery. I agree about Boston maybe we should find a hotel in Boston for 2 nights with parking as once there we wouldn't need the car. I hate too many 1 nights but we have just 10 days in total.
Museums are not high on the list.
Thanks again.

Vttraveler Jan 10th, 2016 04:35 AM

Boston hotels are expensive, but I agree it is better to stay there or in Cambridge than to try to commute back and forth. We have stayed at a B & B in Cambridge called A Friendly Inn that was fine. There is another right next door, the Irving House. In Boston you could try the Chandler Inn

I agree with dfrost about the VT and NH options.

If you have not spent time in Montreal before, I would definitely spend time there over Burlington. The Eastern Townships would also be on the way up from VT.

What time of year are you planning this trip?

lidboymk2 Jan 10th, 2016 05:53 AM

Thanks. We are going end of September. Is Cambridge close into Boston ? Instead of Burlington we could drive from Boston to say Woodstock and then back to Montreal, take the car back and stay in the centre.
Thanks again

Vttraveler Jan 10th, 2016 07:10 AM

Cambridge is very close to Boston, across the Charles River and is on the red line of the T (subway). It has interesting things to do including museums that are part of Harvard University, lots of restaurants, etc.

I just realized you said you are staying in Coaticook, QC after leaving Montreal. This is in the Eastern Townships area I mentioned.

You will find Montreal hotel prices better than Boston prices, and it is a great city to explore, with a good public transit system.

lidboymk2 Jan 10th, 2016 07:45 AM

Hi. I have now booked Lincoln in the White mountains for our first night. I will look at Cambridge thanks.
Now looking at where to stay near Woodstock any help please ?

Thanks

lidboymk2 Jan 10th, 2016 07:58 AM

Is 2 nights in Portland and 2 nights in Boston enough ?
We could have 3 nights in Boston and 1 in Woodstock or visa versa
2 nights in Boston and 2 nights in Woodstock, Help please.

cw Jan 10th, 2016 09:06 AM

Three nights would be good in Boston. Parking can be expensive so check on that when looking at hotels. September and October are popular months in Boston.

The Hampton Inn Cambridge/Boston has free parking and is right near the Lechmere stop of the subway. It's a short ride from there into Boston. It's not in a scenic area but it is safe and convenient.

clarkgriswold Jan 10th, 2016 10:02 AM

Late September is a nice time for this drive, but if you're going for "fall colors" it's a bit early, and if you're going for "coastal scenery" I wouldn't pick Portland (it's more of a foodie destination)...unless you're planning to do day-trips out of Portland to Cape Elizabeth, to Kennebunkport, to the Sebago Lakes maybe.

Also Portland might not be particularly budget-friendly while Kennebunkport/Ogunquit area has some great deals late September.

The Winthrop Arms Hotel or the Harrington House B&B are budget places to stay near Boston...you do have to allow for a 25 min commute into the city (bus 15 mins then Blue Line 10mins) and deal with the bus schedule etc.

Vttraveler Jan 10th, 2016 10:21 AM

Usually I would say 3 nights in Boston but if you want to see fall foliage longer in northern New England would make sense. The foliage peaks in north central VT where I live very late September/early october

lidboymk2 Jan 10th, 2016 12:14 PM

Thanks Vttraveler. Where would you recommend to stay in Vermont. We have 1 or nights between Boston and Montreal. Someone has suggested Montpellier and someone else Burlington.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Vttraveler Jan 10th, 2016 12:30 PM

Montpelier is a much smaller city even though it is the state capital. Burlington is Vt's biggest city but still very small by most standards. The color would probably be better around Montpelier but really the two are not far apart. It is a busy time of year so good to reserve ahead ASAP

There is a foliage festival in small towns in Northeastern VT the end of September/first week in October with special events, tours, dinners, etc. This is the schedule from last year
http://www.findandgoseek.net/listing...airs-festivals

lidboymk2 Jan 10th, 2016 12:31 PM

As Clarkgrisworld said Portland seems expensive bit we would like to go there so need to find a place outside, Any ideas please ?

clarkgriswold Jan 10th, 2016 11:06 PM

Outside Portland look at Higgins Beach Inn, or maybe the Best Western Freeport Inn.

dfrostnh Jan 11th, 2016 03:31 AM

We have stayed at the Elmwood Resort in Wells ME. It's just a former hotel re-done as condos and right on Rt 1 but quiet enough. The advantage is having a real kitchen and LR. Late September is usually a beautiful time of year with great weather. The Ogunquit Playhouse is still running if you want to attend a musical/play.