New England Boiled Dinner in New Hampshire

Old Mar 19th, 2016, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New England Boiled Dinner in New Hampshire

We will be in New Hampshire for one week this July, does anyone know where can we find the New England Boiled Dinner anywhere in the state?
Thank you.
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 06:45 AM

I wouldn't want to eat anything that heavy in July, but you are looking for a place that serves local, traditional food and has been there forever. I will be following any answers you get myself.

Of course if you were staying in a cottage, it is dead easy: beef brisket or chuck, potatoes, onion, cabbage, seasoning, many like turnip or beet. Cook the hell out of it.
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 06:53 AM

I've lived in NH for 35 years, and don't recall seeing a boiled dinner on any restaurant menu. However, this is something you may find at a church supper. Small towns generally have church suppers on Saturday evenings. The Common Man is a chain of New Hampshire restaurants that feature local foods like yankee pot roast, chicken pot pie, seafood, etc.
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 08:26 AM

The New England traditional summer feast around 4th of July is to have salmon with new green peas.
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 08:47 AM

CharlotteK, where do you live? I've lived over 50 years in MA and never heard of Salmon and Peas as a traditional feast. Never. Not once. I am intrigued.
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 08:53 AM

Our family in Maine, salmon and peas were always served for the fourth with strawberry shortcake for desert. Some of us really preferred lobster tho.
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 01:11 PM

We went to a church supper last Saturday that did a boiled dinner (corned beef) because it was almost St. Patrick's Day.
The Tilt'n Diner in Tilton NH, part of the Common Man family, has pot roast on Thursday nights. At least this time of year.
I found one! Kathleen's Irish Pub in Bristol NH but I would call ahead. It's a small place:
"New England Boiled Dinner

Traditional dinner of slow cooked corned beef and cabbage with boiled potato, carrots, and cabbage, served with a homemade parsley cream sauce. ** Made fresh daily - get it while it lasts!"
I found their menu on their facebook page.

What's readily available is ham and beans and a good church supper also has good homemade pies. I don't trust baked beans in restaurants since they are usually canned. In the Manchester area there are a couple of places that serve pork pie and poutine, French Canadian specialities. Salmon pie is also available.

I think my MIL used to make something with salmon and peas but it was more like a casserole using canned salmon.
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 01:30 PM
cw

Salmon and peas are traditional for the 4th in Boston. I think when QEII visited Boston for the Bicentennial in 1976, that was the dinner served on the 4th. Peas are early and would have been available in colonial times, as would salmon.
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 03:00 PM

This place in Salem NH appears to offer it once per week. I've never been:

http://www.priscillas-nh.com/specials.html
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 03:02 PM

Here as well: http://www.holygrailrestaurantandpub...u/0/Menus.aspx

I have been there before. It's maybe 20 minutes west of Hampton Beach NH. Food is good, not great, but good.
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 03:03 PM

So it looks like Priscillas may be closed. I'd stick with Holy Grail. Sorry for the triple post.
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 03:22 AM

Good find, Rizzo. There's a second Holy Grail now in Laconia. Their menu shows corned beef dinner, too. I think it's only been open a year. Kind of surprising the diners don't have it. The family should have a good choice. Laconia if they are staying in the Lakes region, Epping if they are over by the coast.
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 07:06 AM

Well all these years and I just found out about Salmon and Peas for the 4th. Google can be a wonderful thing. One must get those pea seeds planted yesterday to have fresh peas for the 4th.

http://www.csmonitor.com/layout/set/.../hfholi-f.html
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 07:15 AM
cw

Ina, with the snow tonight, wait until Tuesday to plant!
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 07:40 AM

who am I kidding cw? That's what farmer's markets and fishmongers are for!!! Just don't use Paula Deen's English Pea recipe!!!!! That woman has a lot of nerve! Melt butter, drain and ad canned peas to pan and heat thru. Prep 5 minutes, cook time 10 minutes. And she published it.
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 02:19 PM

Inka, I am not a native of the Boston area but I have lived in the area for about 30 years now. The first summer I was here I was served salmon & peas for July 4; and everyone in the office where I worked at the time planned to eat it then too. Like a lot of traditions, it has fallen by the wayside, and New England doesn't have a wild salmon fishery to speak of any more. But it's a nice idea...I guess backyard grilling is more the norm these days.
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 04:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I've lived here just north of Boston my entire 46 years and never once have heard of salmon and peas for the 4th, or any other time for that matter! It's always been burgers, hot dogs and lobstah, baked beans and maybe steamers and corn on the cob for the 4th!
Old Mar 21st, 2016, 01:46 AM

Information about Atlantic Salmon fish restoration program in NH http://www.eregulations.com/newhamps...atch-the-king/

grab your fishing pole: landlocked salmon open water fishing in NH begins April 1.

Hydro electric dams built in 1921 on the Merrimack River screwed up life for salmon in NH. In 1989 a fish ladder was built in Manchester NH at the Amoskeag Fishways Learning Center. You can watch fish traveling upstream during certain times of the year. Perhaps lack of salmon fishing for so many decades changed cooking habits for July 4.
Old Aug 12th, 2016, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

We chose the Holy Grail of the Lakes in Laconia since it seemed more family friendly and it was. I ordered the Boiled Dinner. It was out of this world. The beef comes with cabbage, turnips, carrots & potatoes with horseradish mustard sauce on the side. I also ordered a pint of Guinness to accompany it. By the way, they have the Boiled Dinner every day.
Special thanks to rizzo0904 and dfrostnh and everyone else for your suggestions.
Old Aug 13th, 2016, 02:44 AM

Genxer, what fun to have you report back. Glad you had a great dinner.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -