Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New England 3 Days, late summer, charm & nature....? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-england-3-days-late-summer-charm-and-nature-984601/)

mat54 Jul 9th, 2013 07:45 PM

New England 3 Days, late summer, charm & nature....?

Hi - I had posted earlier this year when considering a 10+ day September New England vacation. That's not going to work out this year, however, we will be in Montreal late August and I am still thinking of taking at least a few days for some ocean time. The last week of August before Labor Day, hoping that might be a little less crowded and hectic than earlier in the summer. I like charming little towns and scenic, natureful seaside vacation spots. Any suggestions?

tovarich Jul 9th, 2013 11:39 PM

Bar Harbor

gail Jul 10th, 2013 02:17 AM

Where do you need to end up after these 3 days? Portland, ME area - and some smaller towns nearby, is surprisingly 2 hours shorter drive from Montreal.

Not sure about how much less crowded it will be - Labor Day is early this year so many schools will not start until after and end of August is a traditional vacation time for those with kids since summer camps are over and childcare arrangements are more difficult.

mat54 Jul 16th, 2013 06:45 AM

We will likely head back to Montreal area after for a day or 2 before driving home to the Toronto area. We don't mind a drive of, say, 5 or 6 hours each way. I have heard a little about Portland Maine and would be interested in learning more, descriptions of the town offerings and other destinations nearby. Is there some nice coastline in the area for exploring? I do love scenic seaside spots for wandering the shore, picnicking, taking photos, observing sea-life but also like charming small towns with cute shops and maybe some decks or patios with water views.

We lived in PA for a few years in the 90's and a couple of times took vacation that week before Labour Day, and I remember places being not overly crowded (but the schools may have gone back early those years). We usually target the last half of August for vacations in Canada and generally find the same - not quiet, but significantly less crazy than the most popular vacation period up here which is mid July to mid August.

Thanks for responding. Hoping I'll get some more data to consider.

bennnie Jul 16th, 2013 09:16 AM

Kennebunkport and Ogunquit are two towns that fill your requirements.

We've had a vacation condo in Kennebunkport for a few years now but we are still learning the area. There is a fair bit of shopping, lots of restaurants. Goose Rocks Beach is lovely for a nice day at the beach, kayaking or just a long walk. There are lots of inns to stay at. Nice bars for a relaxing drink - we love the Ramp. We haven't even stratched the surfuce of everything that is available.

dfrostnh Jul 16th, 2013 10:50 AM

We just discovered Fort Williams Park, only 15 minutes from Portland ME's Old Port Area. The park is free, 90 acres, great place to picnic and looks out on Casco Bay from the south (Cape Elizabeth). There's a small, rocky beach but we did not explore it. Portland Head Light is also located there.

Portland is considered one of the foodiest towns in America. Thanks to being less expensive, new feed start-ups aren't as expensive as in bigger cities like Boston. Old Port area is full of shops but it is also a busy commercial area.

There are some beautiful sandy beaches in southern Maine as mentioned by bennnie. A friend recommended the Rachel Carson preserve but I haven't been.