Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Never EVER use hotels.com (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/never-ever-use-hotels-com-680210/)

bballmama Feb 15th, 2007 07:22 PM

Never EVER use hotels.com

I just had an awful experience -- actually, I am still having an awful experience.

I went to omnihotels.com and noticed a "Specials and Packages" link. WHen I clicked on it, it would let me book airfare, hotel and car. Sounds great, right? NOT...

For some reason, the transaction would never work right on the website. The website labeled Omni Getaways.

I called the 800 customer service number and the lady tried several times to complete my transaction. First she told me that apparently, the airplane I wanted had booked up while we were speaking. That was the first lie.

Anyway, I never got any confirmation and decided something must be up with the bank card. Today, I contacted the bank and they told me that the trip had in fact been booked -- TWICE. I don't have any hotel reservation or airline tickets, but my cards have been debited X2. The bank also tells me that the transactions are not from Omni Hotels, but osme worldwide travel fulfillment company. Further research has shown that to be hotels.com . Nothing I ever looked at said any name other than Omni Getaways.

I have called the Omni in Boston where I need to stay. Obviously, they can't help with this particular transaction although they did help me find some corporate reservations numbers that might. However, he was especially helpful in helping me secure a reservation and even gave me their lowest possible rate on a very good room.

I don't care if I stay in a broom closet at this point, as long as I have a place to lay my head! I will be leaving to take a very expensive trip over the weekend that I am now charged for 3 times and since Monday is a banking holiday, who knows when this will be resolved?

Avoid hotels.com or any of the services that use hotels.com at all costs.

offlady Feb 15th, 2007 08:21 PM

We have never had a bad experience with hotels.com. I don't quite get your post.

TxTravelPro Feb 15th, 2007 08:34 PM

Looks to me that it is WWTE which is Expedia.

TxTravelPro Feb 15th, 2007 08:38 PM

I found it by going to omnihotels.com then going to the specials drop down and selecting Air+car+hotel.
Look at the url and you will see WWTE.
Google WWTE and you will see "Expedia's WWTE" in a bunch of articles.

Andrew Feb 15th, 2007 08:52 PM

I'm sorry to hear of your experience, but am I to understand you used a debit card to book this travel? I would never do that. Using a credit card gives you much more protection against such a thing. If you get double charged, you can always call the credit card company and dispute the charge, and usually they will stand behind you. It's a litle harder to deal with once your bank account has been debited for the actual funds.

I think it's unfair to label Hotels.com as the culprit especially because as others have mentioned it's not clear they are really the same company that has double-charged you.

Good luck getting this resolved!

Dukey Feb 15th, 2007 11:55 PM

Vague posts, however good their intentions, will bring only vague results.

Keith Feb 16th, 2007 06:54 AM

"First she told me that apparently, the airplane I wanted had booked up while we were speaking. That was the first lie."

The story would be better with out this. Just because there are seats available on a plane, doesn't mean they are available at the fare offered in the package.

I'm sorry you are having a rough time.

Keith

KathrynT Feb 17th, 2007 10:53 PM

Hmm, I just checked the website and I think it is confusing since it certainly looks like the specials and packages are part of Omni's programs. I am unclear why you think this is hotels.com's fault.

Obviously an error was made and needs to be rectified. Did you call the customer service number again? The website mentions a 24hr. customer support number.

Good luck!

hulajake Feb 18th, 2007 05:22 AM

Why not contact Hotels.com if they are the ones at fault than Omni is just a third party.

Wednesday Feb 18th, 2007 06:18 AM

Speaking of Expedia, just an FYI, if you ever book travel with Sam's Club Travel online, Expedia is now handling their cruise contracts, not sure if Expedia is doing their air/hotels...yet...so these large compnaies often hold the contracts for these other sites. A dozen "travel" sites could all be services by Expedia or other companies in the background. Just an FYI. Sorry you had trouble. When bookings have to go through so many channels the likelihood of having trouble increases IMO.

rkkwan Feb 18th, 2007 06:27 AM

The packages are sold by WWTE, according to the Omni links.

From WWTE's own website:

<i>&quot;WWTE is a registered seller of travel in California, Florida, Iowa, Nevada, Ohio, and Washington under each state's seller of travel regulations.

California registration number: 2058111-50

Florida registration number: ST-31531

Iowa registration number: 677

Nevada registration number: 2002-0759

Ohio registration number: 29546904

Washington registration number: 601975108

Registration as a seller of travel in California does not constitute the state's approval.</i>

Meanwhile, hotels.com is owned by Expedia.

I don't see any affiliation between the two.

TxTravelPro Feb 18th, 2007 04:47 PM

Google WWTE and you will see &quot;Expedia's WWTE&quot; in a bunch of articles.

rkkwan Feb 18th, 2007 05:02 PM

Ah ha. That's right. So, don't use any of Expedia's companies! :)