Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Never Dreamed I Would Ask This - Where Should I Go?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/never-dreamed-i-would-ask-this-where-should-i-go-772459/)

Dayle Mar 11th, 2009 07:32 AM

Never Dreamed I Would Ask This - Where Should I Go??

I NEVER thought I'd be one of those people asking where to go, but I have a SW ticket that must be used by the end of May. I already have a non-flying trip planned in May, so I need to hurry up and use it in during April! Don't want to spend too long on travel as this will be at most a 4 day weekender. SLC to Oakland for the wine country? Phoenix or Tucson for some warmer weather? Can mostly relax, but need some activities/sightseeing too, plus I've been to AZ and Napa before but wouldn't mind going again.

Any suggestions?

adam09 Mar 11th, 2009 07:48 AM

You mentioned that you've been to Arizona - what parts? There's a lot to do there, and unless you've been a lot there's probably something you can find there.

Sedona has a lot of nice hikes and the scenery is great (although when I went last year the roads were terrible because they were widening them). It can be a bit pricey, though.

I know there are also some museums in Phoenix that are highly recommended, but I didn't get a chance to visit them.

Dayle Mar 11th, 2009 08:17 AM

Thanks Adam,

I have been to Sedona many years ago and didn't care for all the development. Visited Tucson so long ago that it would probably all be new to me. I don't want to drive very far after landing, otherwise I would just do a driving trip to start with.

I'm trying to come up with one or two places of interest in AZ. Been to Toombstone, Flagstaff, GC, Mesa Grande, Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon, Cave Creek, Jerico.

Anyone have good recos for B&Bs in AZ, wine country?

PaulRabe Mar 11th, 2009 08:22 AM

April would ideal time to visit Arizona, and, as noted previously, there's ALWAYS something more to see and do there. Relaxation in Sedona. Museums in Phoenix. History in Tucson. Desert hikes and Anasazi ruins all around there.

emalloy Mar 11th, 2009 08:44 AM

In the Tucson area there is Saguaro NP with parts east and west of the city. On the west side is a neat desert museum, a short ride southwest is Kitt peak telescopes to observe while the astronomers sleep.

adam09 Mar 11th, 2009 08:46 AM

How about the Desert Botanical Gardens (if you like that sort of thing)?

Have you been to the Heard Museum or the Frank Lloyd Wright house?

This is all in Phoenix, not far from the airport in the Scottsdale area.

maitaitom Mar 11th, 2009 08:54 AM

My kind of town, Chicago is! Great restaurants, museums, architectural boat tour, The Bean and so much more. Maybe even a trip to Wrigley Field.

((H))

Dayle Mar 11th, 2009 08:55 AM

Thanks! Good suggestions I think I would enjoy.

Barblab Mar 11th, 2009 08:55 AM

How about Santa Fe, NM and surrounds??

enzian Mar 11th, 2009 09:38 AM

Dayle, if we weren't already booked for a short vacation/long weekend in April, I'd say let's swap houses! (But it's not particularly warm up here in April anyway, so we'd get the better deal.)

Instead, how about flying into Oakland and driving to Yosemite Valley? Is that too far?

Or northern California coast---Pt. Reyes, etc., with a stop in Sonoma wine country?

San Francisco? (I know SW doesn't fly to SFO, but it's an easy hop from Oakland to downtown SF).

Dayle Mar 11th, 2009 10:32 AM

enzian,

Actually, I was considering Seattle! But it's a longer and more expensive flight. I so enjoyed Port Townsend I considered going again, but kind of a longer flight plus drive than I really wanted.

I'm leaning toward the wine country. I can never get tired of northern CA. SF is too expensive, plus I've been there several times. Same with Yosemite.

What I really need is an extra ticket to Italy and 4 weeks! :-)