Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Never been to Vegas, need a lot of ideas on everything Please!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I have decided to get married in Las Vegas in September of this year. We are planning to get married in and staying in Mandalay Bay. We will be accompanied by about 15 people for the wedding and are desperate to find a "special" restaurant for dinner after the wedding. Cost for dinner would preferably be no more than $
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Message: (didn't mean to post yet) as I was saying....no more than $40 pp. Somewhere with a varied menu so everyone will be able to find something. After a lot of research we are thinking maybe Hugo's Cellar or my finace is thinking Spiedini. Any thoughts on these. Or any other suggestions?? We are very picky about service. It is as important or maybe even more important than the service. We like helpful, friendly, and attentive servers. I am one of those people who wants my drink refilled BEFORE it's empty.

Also can anyone contrast/compare the Executive vs. Honeymoon suites in Mandalay Bay?

We are interested in taking in a show or two. Maybe a traditional one and a more "adult" show. Any suggestions??

Old Mar 19th, 2005, 05:42 AM

www.cheapovegas.com has great reviews of the various properties in Vegas, and also of the shows.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 07:15 AM

Another great site to check for restaurants and shows is VEGAS.com. A very easy site to navigate.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 07:20 AM

Definitely not Hugo's Cellar. You would need transportation for everyone to downtown, which is quite a haul from Mandalay Bay (especially with Saturday traffic)...and it would be double your price range.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice so far!! Also, my guests will all need somewhere close to stay. Most of them do not want to pay as much to stay in Mandalay Bay. They would rather have a basic, clean room for a lot less money. Any suggestions close to Mandalay Bay? By the way, I checked out Cheapovegas.com. Thanks a lot, it has a wealth of helpful information.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 12:45 PM

www.vegas.com/map.html

Will show you what hotels are near Mandalay Bay. Your closest choices are Luxor, Excalibur, Tropicana, MGM Grand, NYNY and Monte Carlo. Tropicana will be the cheapest, and it is very basic. I stayed there last month. It was fine, but felt like a motel. Excalibur appeals to families with children. I've heard almost no positive reviews of MGM Grand and many negative. NYNY gets mixed reviews. Luxor and Monte Carlo seem nice.

But, I'd check all of those for rates during your dates and see.

If your guests stay further away they can take the monorail to MGM Grand. There are pedestrian bridges for crossing the streets there, and a free monorail from Excalibur to both Luxor and Mandalay Bay.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

jlm_mi: thanks for the advice. are there any restaurants you would recommend for a nice wedding dinner?
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

how about Fellini's restaurant. has anyone eaten here? what is the price range? which one would be nicer the one in the stratosphere or the one on charleston blvd? I realize its at the other end of the strip but mapquest says its only a 12 minute drive to either one. Is this accurate? I would imagine it'd be more with traffic, just not sure how much more.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 08:05 PM

There are several fine restaurants at Mandalay Bay...including a new Wolfgang Puck restaurant. By the time you pay for 15 people to cab back and forth across the strip on a Saturday night, you could up your budget $10 per person for the meal by staying nearby.

Hawthorn Suites has a location behind the Tropicana Hotel with large 1 and 2 bedroom apt-sized units..so some of your guests could economize there and share an apt. It is a long 2 blocks walk to Mandalay Bay, (or to the Excalibur tram to Mandalay Bay.)
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 10:14 PM

Acsproul, I responded to your other thread about the MB. Fellini's is good. The crowd is about 50ish. The location on Charleston is about 25 mins from MB without traffic. For the best Italian my suggestion is Piero's next to the convention center. Just about every celebrity alive and president has eaten there. You can swing it at $40 pp. Much better choice. Piero's was just in the news because a lot of goodfella types go there, 2 cops that were hit men for the mob were arrested in a sting at the restaurant last week.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 01:22 PM

I just got back from Vegas for a friends wedding at Caesars. We had a lot of fun, had the opprotunity to walk the whole Strip. This was also my first trip to Vegas, and I am very glad that she chose to get married at Caesars because of everything that is available around there.
I am not sure about a place to eat after the wedding, but I definetly have to recommend The Round Table Buffet at Excaliber for breakfast. I pigged out! I know that my friend that got married went to see "O" the night of her wedding with her new husband, and they really enjoyed it.
Luxor is right next to Manadalay Bay, and I believe there is tram service back and forth. Another one of the girls i went with stayed there in November, and she liked it other then the fact it is so far from everything else on the Strip.
Vegas.com is a great site, I spent alot of time on there before my trip.