Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Nervous, no hotel in Boston? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nervous-no-hotel-in-boston-736505/)

schnookies Sep 14th, 2007 11:05 AM

Nervous, no hotel in Boston?

I've called around and most hotels are booked up. I now know I have to spend around $250 at least a night. I found the hotel Clarendon Square too late, it looked perfect but is booked up. Any suggestions?

MikeT Sep 14th, 2007 11:07 AM

There's not a single hotel room in Boston, or none in your price range? Have you used all the usual hotel websites--kayak, hotels.com, expedia, travelocity, orbitz? Have you tried Priceline?

rkkwan Sep 14th, 2007 11:08 AM

Do you need <b>SEVEN</b> threads about your trip to Boston and hotels?

Hubster Sep 14th, 2007 11:29 AM

Amen rkkwan...lmao.

MFNYC Sep 14th, 2007 11:39 AM

Put your dates in Kayak and see what it comes up with. If it's just 2 of you, you should also consider priceline. read info on biddingfortravel.com. Boston hotel are pricey, but you can dfinitely save by bidding wisely on priceline.

MikeT Sep 14th, 2007 11:40 AM

I await the post where she asks us to go on the trip with her, so we can help her make all those decisions too.

wyatt92 Sep 14th, 2007 11:42 AM

You're coming the 26th through 28th right?

I did a quick search on hotels.com and it does appear that availability is really limited. The few hotels that are available have rates over $400/night. Not sure what to tell you, could you switch your dates?

china_cat Sep 14th, 2007 12:05 PM

there's a lesson in here for future visitors...Boston is a city with a notoriously high occupancy rate for hotels, ESPECIALLY in the fall. Its a tough time to be looking for a reasonably priced downtown hotel.

You might try expanding your search to look at places in Brookline or Cambridge. I don't know the rates, but the Holiday Inn in Brookline (on the corner of Beacon and St Paul) isn't too bad a location, its right on the Green Line, so easy access to mass transit.

lcuy Sep 14th, 2007 12:09 PM

Back in June, you asked whether you should book your fall trip in advance, and everyone said you should. I guess now you will respect their advice!

Your trip is 11 days away now. Find your choices on Kayak.com, then go directly to any available hotels and book a room now. At this point the hotels will only get more full and prices even go higher.

Lat minute hotel shopping in popular cities at popular seasons only works if you:

a) already have a reservation at a satisfactory hotel that you can cancel if you find something better,
or
b)if you are willing to sacrifice location and quality just to get any room at your price,
or
c)if you can afford to pay whatever the prices happen to be at the last minute.

seetheworld Sep 14th, 2007 12:11 PM

If you are going in October, between Parent's weekend and leaf peepers, you are pretty much, eh...how shall I say it? Yeah...out of luck.

gail Sep 14th, 2007 12:19 PM

Since I live in Boston area, love the area and feel a little sympathy for your plight, I just spent about 20 minutes searching on line for a hotel for you. I tried to find hotel room for either 2-3 nights at the beginning (9/26) and prior to end (10/6) of your trip.

You are indeed out of luck. As mentioned above, You were advised to make reservations sooner and issues such as leaves and students were mentioned. Problem with the end date is that is the beginning of Columbus Day weekend. The month of September is just popular.

I will continue looking. I suggest at this point your only choice is to stay at high cost at an airport hotel - a few seem to have vacancies in the $200-300 range - way more than you should have to pay to stay near the airport, but it seems either that or skip
Boston.

I hope you have reservations for the leaf looking/northern part of your trip - you will likely find the same problem with those lodgins as well.

Good luck. The only thingpositive I can say at this point is maybe others will read your post and be forewarned.

djkbooks Sep 14th, 2007 12:20 PM

I was one of those who advised booking your accomodations - back in June.

At this late date, you may want to head for the Coast of Maine or Cape Cod.

escargot Sep 14th, 2007 12:33 PM

Oh, I did not know when we 'spoke' in the other hotel posts you had been advised months ago to book for foliage season !! yes, now you know why -
:)

But,, maybe you waited for the same reason you are still consdiering waiting a week to come up, - so have you tried checking for dates if in fact you postpone a week? did you try some of those B &amp; B's just outside of Boston that were mentioned on the other hotel thread? and all the other spots mentioned?

if so, then yes, you could be out of luck or have to reach into your pocket for more $$$.....

If I think of any other possibilities I'll post back...
of course, you could get a car, and try places like the Sheraton Braintree, Holiday Inn Express Braintree/Randolph area hotels - or Quincy Marriott -
they are a T ride out of Boston - you could drive there - are you flying in or driving in? they do not charge to park your car and you could take the T from there to go to Boston for a day...

escargot Sep 14th, 2007 12:35 PM

oh and to add to someone who posted above - do you have your rooms for leaf peeping? I just tried to book for next weekend in Maine for something that came up at my sons college unexpectedly and had to call 12 places to find a room, and that one is 30 minutes away from his school ....... it's a prime time as poster said, between parents weekends, columbus day wknd, leaf peeping, college games, and just generally fall in beautiful new england !

Krista Sep 15th, 2007 05:52 PM

I haven't stayed here but the Hawthorn Suite Hotel is near my home and looks perfectly nice. It's located just outside Cambridge (search site for Arlington MA).
Has plenty of availability for Sep and Oct and looks like prices are around $200 a nite.
You'll have to take a bus to the Red Line subway station (5-10 min ride?) but the hotel is on Mass Ave, a main street with frequent bus service to Porter Square station.
http://www.hawthorn.com/

r/Krista

socialworker Sep 15th, 2007 06:06 PM

I think that gail and krista are being inordinately kind. You are being wonderful ambassadors for us Bay Staters. :)

socialworker Sep 15th, 2007 06:13 PM

Sorry, you too escargot!! :)

schnookies Sep 17th, 2007 12:39 PM

I'm sorry about my delayed reply. I just wanted to thank you all for trying to help me out! The reason for me not being too prepared and up to speed with this trip was actually a death in the family. We now decided to leave and therefore we are a little bit unprepared. But life is like that sometimes and you make the best of it. I may have some more questions and I thank you for your help and patience!!

cfc Sep 17th, 2007 03:02 PM

I believe Boston has a pretty active group of B&amp;B networks, some of which will put you in touch with apartments rather than B&amp;B hotels.

You might try Googling &quot;Boston B&amp;B&quot; and see what you get. You can figure the boutiquey B&amp;B hotels are full, but if it's an apt./condo network, you might luck out.

suze Sep 17th, 2007 08:49 PM

Why not skip Boston? If you are flying in there, it's easy enough to head over to western Mass, maybe Amherst or Northhamton. Not particular &quot;fall foliage&quot; destinations, but beautiful and easy enought to driv to (assuming you're touring in a rental car?).