Neopatrick, Oahu Ilikai Marina Condo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Patrick, I reserved the same unit you did for a later date at the Ilikai Marina. Did you get an email from the owner that it has been sold and they are refunding? ..... I did

Now I have a dilema, non-refundable airline tickets and no condo. This is gonna cost me I am sure as that condo was very reasonably priced. I am trying for other units but it is too soon to hear anything yet.. This was to be my very first VRBO experience too, Not starting out well.
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 09:07 PM

What are your dates? And budget? I know a few condo owners in waikiki.
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 12:59 AM

I stayed in unit 524 at the Ilikai Marina, a couple weeks ago. It was very nice. http://www.vrbo.com/110657
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

lcuy, I am going the week of 12/25/09 to 1/1/09. I think I would like the Ilikai Marina Condos. Do you know any owners there?
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 12:26 PM

I do, but they will be in the condo that week. I know someone with a condo at Discovery bay across the street. (Way up high, with fabulous ocean view) I'll check and see if theirs will be empty if that is of interest to you...
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

lcuy, Yes, please inquire about the unit at Discovery Bay.
Thank You.

Too bad the owners will be in their unit at the Ilikai Marina.
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 01:23 PM

Funny. I just spotted this thread after posting about the same thing on the "vacation rentals" thread.

Yes, I got that email yesterday. It's odd because it still shows on VRBO and the availability calendar still shows my week in September blocked out but other weeks available. The email seemed to come from an agency, not what I thought was the owner (I'm away from home so can't check my paperwork).
I've emailed the owner via VRBO to ask for an explanation of why they still show it available.

I'm finding others available, but so far nothing with that kind of view and at that price. When you add the 12% taxes and the average of $100 cleaning fee, $ 700 a week quickly becomes around $900. I was trying to keep my budget in the former, not the latter.

I liked this one -- VRBO#238781, but it ends up over $1000 for the week if I do the ocean view one. It seems pointless to rent a place with a nice balcony that doesn't face the marina or the ocean.
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 01:30 PM

By the way, I read on one listing for Discovery Bay that the condo association requires a minimum rental of 30 days. If that is true, then a weekly rental can possibly get you in trouble and/or booted out.

Not sure if that's true.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 11:03 PM

Discovery Bay is a 30 day minimum, and owners can get in trouble if they have people coming and going. However, these people rarely rent out their unit, so they will rent it to friends of friends for short periods as long as they only have one tenant in any 30 day period.

Still haven't heard back from these guys. i think they may be on a scuba trip. I'll let you know when I do.

I have a friend with an Ala Moana Hotel condo, but they also will be in town for Christmas.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, lcuy. keep me posted
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 09:24 AM

Icuy, keep me in mind as well. I'm now looking for Honolulu for the week of Sept. 9 to Sept. 16 -- Wed. to Wed.
Just me, so I don't need much, but would really prefer something with a relaxing balcony and an ocean or marina view "close" in for walking.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 02:01 PM

hpeabody, here's another unit I just found in the Ilikai Marina. The video shows it to be really spectacular compared to the others -- a major renovation that looks stunning and complete.
It's a little pricey for my dates -- $125 a night which puts it just over $1000 total, but I just may have to bit the bullet and do it. I'm not finding much else to begin to compare. You might see what they ask for your dates of if available. The owner got right back to me today within a few hours of emailing a request.

http://www.ilikaiwaikikicondo.com/
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 03:16 PM

Did you hear that the hotel portion of hte Ilikai closed today? They say it should not affect the pool or common areas though.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 03:55 PM

I know there was some discussion here about the hotel going into bankruptcy some time ago. I actually thought it had closed some time ago.

Meanwhile, I've had a couple emails back and forth with the owner of that last listing. I'm really tempted to bite the bullet and do it. It is awfully classy for the price and I haven't found anything even remotely as nice for that kind of money.

By the way, I find out that the taxes on rentals just jumped another percent this week. Now 12.96%
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 07:52 AM

I spent nearly all day yesterday working on a replacement for my canceled condo. (It was a great way to pretend I didn't need to unpack and do laundry from my 6 week's vacation the night before).

When all was said and done, I went ahead and confirmed the Ilkai Marina #788 from the link I gave above:
http://www.ilikaiwaikikicondo.com/

I found a number of others in the building, at pretty much the same price, some were slightly negotiable, some not, but virtually all were as much as this one which seems to stand out yards ahead of the others in terms of quality of decor. Take a look at the video. They've opened up the wall between the fairly small living room and fairly small bedroom and put in a sort of divider with granite top and a flat screen TV that raises out of it. The kitchen is now stunning, and the bathroom -- well, take a look at the glass walled shower.

I sent payment in full last night after talking with the delightful owner (in Nevada), and I did it with confidence. (My arrival is now 60 days out when full payment is required).

Among other offers I received were a couple within the Ilikai Hotel building next door. When I questioned one owner that the hotel was now fully closed and don't they share many facilities, I got a response that their unit was a fully owned condo, so the hotel closure shouldn't affect anything "inside the walls" of their own condo. Huh? What about maintaining elevators, lobbies, and what about pool, etc? I read frightening stories on Trip Advisor about recent experiences within those condo associations that are within the failing Ilikai Hotel. The Ilikai Marina where I'm renting is a totally separate facility.

A also found some condos that just met my price, but when I compared them to the one I'm getting for just $100 or $200 more total, it seemed absurd that I wouldn't choose the one I did instead of the sparse or no view ones being offered. $125 a night really does seem like a major bargain for what it is and being right on the marina with a full open view as well compared to anything else I was finding.

hpeabody, I mentioned to the owner that you were looking for Christmas and she said hers is available then, but on the site I see that someone is arriving on the 30th of January, so maybe it won't work for you. But good luck. I know you mentioned this is your first VRBO experience and it's not looking like a good one, but honestly things like sales of a condo can happen with any site that lists one. And just be glad you got notice of this 6 months BEFORE your arrival.
Incidentally I have not heard back for clarification why the original condo is still showing as available on VRBO, but have informed them that I have made other arrangements. Now I hope to see my deposit back soon -- and presumably you do too.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 08:13 AM

Wow, that shower! It brought back memories of #584, watching that. Your condo owners have dispensed with a small hallway between the bedroom and (old) bathroom and come up with that fantastic room. In our small hallway, there were two closets, one of which was padlocked, as it contained a washer/dryer, which are no longer allowed to be used, for some reason. You will LOVE it at the Ilikai Marina - it is so convenient (yet peaceful). The walk around the marina to the Hilton lagoon and Waikiki beach takes about 10 minutes (walking slow!) and is a beautiful walk. Up the other way, there is a McD, Subway, sushi bar and ABC store - just a couple minute walk. We felt very, very, very safe there.
Have a great time - glad you sorted things out.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 08:56 AM

Suddenly I'm really into showers. The apartment I just rented for a week in West Hollywood had an amazing shower. The owner is a potter and she owns a pottery school and studio. She made the tiles for the shower which were rustic terra cotta tiles glazed in bright aqua. They were shaped like jigsaw puzzle pieces and fit together to make a four foot square corner shower. The tiles were on the ceiling as well. The floor of the shower however were smooth round black river rocks set in concrete. Then there were two walls of glass and glass door going all the way to the ceiling so it almost could be a steam room when you turned th shower up high. And the shower head was a big rain shower head overhead -- great unless you wanted to take a shower without getting your hair wet. I kept thinking that shower needed to be in an outdoor setting in Hawaii.

I was trying to figure out how the Ilikai Marina bathroom was so much bigger than the others I've seen pictures of. Interesting about the expansion to incorporate the small hallway and washer space. Yes, I was told by another owner that there was a washer and dryer in the unit but you weren't allowed to use them -- common laundry facilities are on various floors instead. Interestingly my West Hollywood apt has a washer/dryer in the unit as well with a sign saying it couldn't be used due to "noise" and that if you used it you would be fined by the association. Perhaps it was the same sort of thing at Ilikai.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 09:28 AM

hpeacody, I'm so sorry, but my friends with the unit at Discovery Bay are coming to Hawaii for Christmas. Good for me, not so for you.

The one Patrick found sounds great though...
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 10:11 AM

That place looks great. Is the parking there? Congrats Neo
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 12:21 PM

I'm only planning to have a car my final two days --driving out on the island a bit. But oddly I'm to pick it up at 1778 Ala Moana Blvd from National and drop it at the airport when I leave. I have a feeling that the pick up location is the now defunct hotel, so will have to check to see if National is even still operating there.

There is parking in the building at Ilikai Marina -- at $17 a day. But the owner says they just park down at the marina itself which is 25 cents an hour -- $6 a day. You need to move your car every 24 hours though, I think -- big deal. If I didn't need the car I wouldn't have one anyway.

Incidentally, I forwarded this thread to her and she mentioned to me that washers and dryers were never allowed in the building -- it was never plumbed for them and she's unclear why anyone ever had one. They bought the condo completely redone a couple years ago. They did not do the extensive renovations. She also pointed out that there is no pool associated with the Ilikai Marina -- not a deal killer for me, but might be for some.

Also, I posted a "looking for" on Craigslist yesterday and have been bombarded with offers for various condos in the Ilikai Hotel building. Most want full cash payment now. And not surprisingly whenever I respond with questions about how the hotel closing will affect facilities in the condos, I seem not to get any further response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -