Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Needs recs for NYC resturants - cheap, fun, big portions... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/needs-recs-for-nyc-resturants-cheap-fun-big-portions-441529/)

monalua Jun 11th, 2004 07:46 AM

Needs recs for NYC resturants - cheap, fun, big portions...

Hi guys,

My fiance and I will be in NYC for 2 days next month are would like specific recommendations for places to eat (breakfast, lunch, and dinner). We are looking to spend probably no more than $40 at any given meal, and of course we love places with big portion sizes. =) Nothing too formal or fancy - but would like to know if there are any places you think we shouldn't miss - especially places with neat atmospheres, cool views, cool neighborhoods -things unique to NYC. Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

GoTravel Jun 11th, 2004 08:07 AM

Becco all you can eat fresh pasta special. Under $25 per person and includes anti-pasta course.

Lee4 Jun 11th, 2004 08:18 AM

Hi Monalua,
I just returned from NYC and wanted to tell you about Grimaldi's. It's a pizza place in Brooklyn--right under the Bridge on Old Fulton Street. The pizza is delicious, the prices are right up your alley, and the portions are large. You must order whole pizzas there--no slices--and it is SO good! My husband and I actually ate there twice during our trip. We took the subway over to Brooklyn and then walked back across the brige--which is totally free and gives you some of the best views of the NYC skyline. Be sure to take your camera! You can also tell yourself that you're getting some great exercise after eating all that pizza. :)

For some other meal ideas, head to Little Italy during lunch time and you'll find lots of restaurants offering reduced prices. The food there is also delicious. Lots of restaurants in the NYC area offer reduced prices at lunch, so you can always save some $$ that way. Have a great trip!

monalua Jun 11th, 2004 08:27 AM

Thanks Lee4! We totally want to walk the Brooklyn Bridge too, and pizza is my fiance's favorite food, so we will try Grimaldi's!

MFNYC Jun 11th, 2004 08:55 AM

Some other areas for inexpensive food is little India on E. 6th st between 1st and 2nd avs, teh East VIllage in general (loaded with options), Greenwich Village, and Lower East Side. Some decent and inexpensive 'local' chains are 'east' for Japanese food, L'Annan for Vietnamese food, Patsy's pizzeria for pizza, pasta and great salads, Osso Buco for family style italian, and Banditos for Mexican. Many restaurants all over town have pre-theater specials or lunch specials that generallu are good value but have limited choices. My favorite theater area pre theater is Dervish Turkish ($20 for 3 courses and lots of choices).
If you are at little adventerous, take the subway to queens and explore the great variety of ethnic food in Queens (astoria Greek, MidEast), Jackson Hts (Indian, Argentinian), etc.

suzanne Jun 11th, 2004 10:28 AM

Speaking of huge portions in NYC...I just had Korean food at Kum Gang San (32nd & Broadway). Good stuff. They bring you kimchi and about 8 other little plates of various stuff...and soup...before your main meal. I am about to bust. $11 per person including tip. The huge manmade waterfall, complete with a cliff (upon which sits...a grand piano!)adds some tacky fun to this boisterous joint!

NYerr Jun 11th, 2004 10:55 AM

Also, don't forget Chinatown. Go for a dim sum lunch.
Pick up a Zagat and try citysearch.com,too

Lee4 Jun 11th, 2004 07:11 PM

Monalua,
I had another thought for you--another great place in Brooklyn is The Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory. It is also under the brige, where the water taxis dock. It's a short walk from Grimaldi's and the ice cream is yummy! You can sit out on the dock area and have more great views of the city.

Another great place for Italian--Pesca Pasta on Bleeker Street (Greenwich Village area). The lunch prices were good and the food was delicious! The best sauce we had anywhere during our stay!

emd Jun 11th, 2004 08:01 PM

and don't forget to go to Jacques Torres (of Dessert Circus) Chocolate Factory if you like really good exquisite chocolates- it is on Water St., right by Dock St and off to the right btwn Grimaldi's and Brooklyn Ice Cream. My daugher and I tried to go there on Memorial Day and they were closed. But I'll try again next time. Check their website.

kenmat Jun 11th, 2004 08:13 PM

Try the "Hell's Kitchen" neighborhood and "Little Italy". For casual pizza, try the small place on 33rd and fifth