Need Winter Park CO restaurant suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're headed to Winter Park to ski next week and I'm seeking input on restaurants. Are any of you WP locals or regulars who might recommend places to eat in the area? We are a group of five adults, like all foods at all price points and we have a car so we can go to nearby towns as well.

We were in WP two seasons ago and just went to dinner wherever we found ourselves. This time we'll have some WP newbies with us and I'd like them to love everything about their Colorado ski trip so that they go more frequently.

So far we have reservations to eat at Ranch House Restaurant at Devil's Thumb Ranch because I've had good food and service there in the past and love the beautiful setting.
Ann Marie
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 03:29 PM

We were in WP a couple of weeks ago. Everyone recommended Hernando's Pizza which we picked it was just OK, but I hear it can be fun. Had a decent lunch at Randi's, ate in the bar, the dinning room did not seem very umm cozy. After that we just gave up and ate in. Deno's used to be good but lately I have heard it had gone down hill. Sorry I know that this is not what you hoped for.

Maybe stop on the way up at Applejacks Liquor and King Soopers ( Youngfield Exit ) and pick up some really great wine and cook fabulous meals in??
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Coskier. I don't usually cook in when we ski but we usually are in Aspen where we have lots of favorites.

I may take your advice and cook in at least the first couple of days as it seems we are going to be joined by a couple of unexpected friends and family members. My brother has decided to come up from Denver and he likes to cook too.

I appreciate your feedback. It is just as good to know the places that are eh, just okay as well as knowing of fab places.
Ann Marie
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 05:36 AM

Winter Park is no Aspen but the flip side is we had a blast skiing!
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

We love Winter Park because it is much cheaper to eat, ski and sleep there than Aspen and since we fly to Denver and drive it is closer than Aspen. And THIS week, with what is going on with 70 I'm soooo glad we are NOT trying to drive to Aspen. What a mess.
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 09:10 AM

The Ranch House is our all-time favorite place for a special dinner in WP.
Hex Tavern, also at Devils Thumb, is good, too. Amazing architecture. We love the renovation they have done with the entire property.

Hernando's gets swamped after ski. It does have excellent pizza for a great price.

In the new WP Village, theres a place called the Cheeky Monk. Stupid name, but great selection of Belgian beers and good food.

Dont recommend Lime, also in the Village. Extremely mediocre Mexican food.

Smokin' Moe's is good barbecue at a good value, in a simple setting in town.

Fontenot's is over-priced and mediocre.
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 01:47 PM

FWIW, we didn't like Hernando's, but did like Lime.
To each their own...
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 03:02 PM

Have you eaten at either restaurant multiple times, Barry? We have
lots of experience at both over their lifetimes.

Lime once served me uncooked tamales.
Another time they served a white fish to my husband and insisted it was salmon. Which it definitely was not. And did you get Hernandos pizza? If ypu dont like theirs, you just dont like pizza!
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 05:12 AM

No, just once.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 03:26 PM

Thanks, Barry. Next time you are in WP, let me know and I will treat you to Hernando's pizza. You will be converted.

The trick is to out-think the ski crowd so you don't get there for an hour-long wait. I am a big fan, having fed our family of four there, and having taken many families there, over the last 20-something years. Their food is fresh, home-made and reasonably priced. Family-sized salad is fabulous and inexpensive. It's hard to find a place like that in a ski town, especially. Fun, loud atmosphere with fireplace in the middle, or side-tavern area with TV.

So Travel Talk me next time you're in WP!
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

We are just back from Winter Park and ate dinner at The Ranch House at Devil's Thumb Ranch which was great. We got great views of sunset on the mountains which turned the peaks a soft pink and enjoyed the food and service. http://www.devilsthumbranch.com/index.cfm

DH and I split the salad of Bartlett Pear, Candied Pecans, Blue Cheese & Port Wine Vinaigrette and the waitress brought it on two plates without us asking her to do so. The salad was delicious and definitely large enough to share. I had the Maple Cured & Smoked Salmon and Wild Mushroom Risotto Cake with Warm Bacon Vinaigrette but had them hold the vinaigrette. The salmon was farm raised Atlantic salmon which I usually avoid but it was prepared very well. The flourless chocolate cake was amazing. The apple studel was a hit with others in my party.

After talking to the owner of the condo we rented we made reservations for Tabernash Tavern and it was also a hit. The place looked like a dump as we flew through Tabernash in the late afternoon but on closer inspection we realized it was intended to look that way. On the inside it is new and very cozy with worn barnsiding on the walls and the ceiling.

The place is tiny and even on a Thursday it was completely full. Reservations are a must. We started with apps at the bar including brie with fruit chutney and fried wontons which was large enough to share and barbeque shrimp wrapped in bacon which only included three shrimp so we cut them so everyone could get a taste. Entrees included filet mignon, Colorado lamb, mahi mahi and pork chops and all were well recieved. I had the veggie napoleon which I wouldn't recommend- too many flavors that didn't blend and the various parts of the stack ranged in temperature.

The hot chocolate cake was a bowl of sinfully rich melted chocolate with a chocolate cake like crust on the top. The carrot cake cheesecake was filled with fruit and nuts and covered with cream cheese icing.