Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Maui - sub tour, whale watching & luau, these worth it touristy things?

Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be in Maui for a week with my wife and two grade school aged kids. Considering taking my kids on a 90 minute sub tour, whale watching, and to a luau. (Last one is least likely.)

The Luau and sub-tour look like they run about $90 per adult and $45ish per child. (Based on a very cursory check of what comes up first on Google.) Basic whale watching tour was about half that, if I remember correctly.

The money is less the concern. I know when visiting a tourist spot, you're paying to do tourist type things. That's part of the deal, especially with young kids.

I don't mind paying, but I do mind paying a lot for something likely to be underwhelming or not all the enjoyable for any of us.

My sense from previous Hawaii visits is that Luau's consist of mediocre food, uninspired surroundings, and appeal mainly to people that would view Branson as an ideal destination. Could be wrong, but seems like too much of a dinner/theater scene for me.

Anyway, would love to get your opinion on these activities in Maui and whether or not you felt like it was money worth spending, even if a lot of money was spent.

Aloha, as they say.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 10:01 AM

grade school is rather a vague description - anywhere from Kindergarden to 8th grade.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Grade school in the Northeast usually means up to age 10. My kids are 9 and 8, both fairly hearty, experienced travelers if that helps.

With that information, any thoughts?
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 10:33 AM

sub tour seems hokey to me.

I'd much rather spend that money giving them surfing lessons or renting snorkling equipment and heading to Honolua Bay (and then head up to the overlook to watch the surfers) or between beaches in Wailea (Black Rock can be dangerous) or taking a guided kayak tour.

When are you going? Is it when the whales will be there in the winter till March?

I thought immediately of the Aquarium, to spend a few hours and then snorkle off shore to see the fishes.

Old Lahaina Luau was great years ago and I have heard it has only gotten better. Yes hokey, but not Branson hokey. It will teach them about a culture and to understand some of the history of where they are visiting. If I went to the southwest, I would want to educate my kids about American Indian history, If I went to Alaska, I would want to educate my kids about the Eskimo natives, so in Hawaii. . . . If it were just you and your wife, then I'd consider blowing a luau off, but these trips are life lessons for your kids.

I've never done the Pacific Whale Watch out of Lahaina. I am prone to seasickness so I personally would have to wait to see what the surf conditions are that week. I have been in gale force winds crossing in the ferry to Lanai and going to Molokini in a sail boat. 500 tacts later we finally made it back to land. But that organization his very highly regarded, so with good conditions, I would definately visit the whales aboard one of their vessels and your kids will learn valuable lessons.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 11:17 AM

I would do the whale watching, for sure. And I am sure the kids would love it. BUT, the whales are there from Nov/dec to March, so only if you are going during those times.

Luau depends. Some are too show-biz, and don't represent the real Hawaiian culture that hula is about. I haven't been to a hotel luau in years, so I can't recommend one.

Submarine tour? Not if you can swim and snorkel. It's far more fun to be in the water with the fish.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 05:18 PM

I agree that replacing the sub tour with snorkeling is a good idea.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

The sub was more for the unique aspect than seeing marine life, which as pointed out is easy enough snorkling. But, the two subs I looked at could go to a depth of 125 to 150 feet. Snorkling was something we'd do anyway. Thought my kids would get a kick out of the sub.

We're going to be there the last week of March. The whale watching boats say that is still the season. Are they being overly generous with using that term?

Thanks again

(BTW, my wife has cousins in Ewa Beach that we're seeing. Will be getting surfing lessons from them when on Oahu.)
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 06:42 AM

Depending on where you are in March you will probably see whales anyway. I know one year a while back, we would see them from our Ka'anapali hotel room balcony in the area of water between Maui and Lanai. I know that is not the same thing but it was lovely to see them playing in the water there. As far as the sub goes, I know my kids, ages 11 & 13, would LOVE to do that, just for the experience of being on a submarine and we have it on a wish list for one day. I know what you are saying, there is so much natural beauty in Hawaii with excellent things to see and do that it is such a disappoinment when you plan for an activity and it isn't what it made out to be. A few of the great things my kids loved in Maui were the Ocean Center, the Sugar Cane Train, running around the banyan tree in Lahaina, the cove beach up at Kapalua that you enter by Napili Kai, astronomy tour at the Hyatt and I dont know if they still do the Keiki hula show at the mall in Lahaina but we really liked that.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 07:58 AM

I have personally not been on the sub yet but agree that it would probably be thrilling for kids since you are going snorkeling anyway. People who have been on it have told me that they really enjoyed it.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 10:51 AM

My children are grown adults now and they will still talk about their vacation in Hawaii when they were your children's age. They distinctly remember the Luau that we attended and loved every minute of it.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 10:53 AM

Lets not forget that what may seem cheesy and hokey to adults will be the best fun for kids that age.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 11:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I loved the Old Lahaina Luau. There is nothing cheesy or hokey about it. It's an incredibly beautiful location, good introduction to a Hawaiian buffet meal, and excellent quality entertainment. I would put it WAY ahead of a submarine ride.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 12:41 PM

The kids will probably love the submarine tour. Here is a video of the Maui tour http://www.youtube.com/hawaiidiscoun...35/qPLoo8a2ySA The whale watching tours are fun but on the snorkeling tours you can usually see the whales too and depending on the kids they may prefer the snorkeling to just whale watching.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 12:59 PM

Your kids might like going to a luau. I've only been to one, and it really wasn't my thing. But we happened to catch a part of a hula show at the Whaler's Village outdoor mall in Kaanapali, and our daughter was fascinated by it. She was four years old at the time, and she absolutely loved it! I know your children are older, but they might really enjoy it.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 01:03 PM

The whale watch we went on in Hawaii was fantastic. We were surrounded by whales, who came over to look at us when the boat was not moving. I would think the kids would enjoy seeing them in their natural habitat.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 03:49 PM

We go to Hawaii once a year and we love snorkeling, but we also loved the submarine, my son who doesn't like to swim really enjoyed it, we even saw a shark, which personally I would rather see on a sub than snorkeling. Usually rent a oceanfront condo and can see the whales from the balcony, but we also enjoy getting on a boat and doing a whale watch tour, several companies offer one kid free with paying adult, not sure of the age limit as my son is 16 which is definitely too old. You could check out a site like tom's barefoot that offers lots of whale watch cruise for lots of different companies. We have been to 4 luaus, some with excellent food and mediocre show, and some vice versa, when my son was younger he really enjoyed the show. It is something different that you don't find mainland so if it isn't a money issue you would probably all enjoy one. The Maui ocean center in Maalaea is worth atrip with kids your age. Have an awesome time. We are going to Maui again in a month can't wait!!
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 05:01 PM

The luau is a hard call. We went to one on the Big Island when my children were 10 & 7. They both ate dinner and then promptly fell asleep when the show started. I don't blame it on the show, but they had spent all day on the beach and in the water snorkeling and swimming so it was a little too much. They did enjoy a hula show at the mall, so I think that is a really good option especially since those are free.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 05:14 PM

Did the sub in Mexico and Australia and LOVED it. It was a glimpse into another world.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Kids are apathetic about the sub, which surprised me a bit.

My wife wants to take the ferry to Molokai and Lanai. Kids seem more interested in that and snorkeling.

Figure we'll see how it goes with seeing whales from the ferry and play that by ear.

Luau is possible but don't plan on booking anything until we get there and figure out what looks interesting.

Thanks for the information.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 10:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ryan: perhaps your kids think the sub will be lame/fake like the one at Disneyland? Do they realize that it is somewhat real?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -