Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (
-   United States (
-   -   Need urgent help re: a child's US Passport (

rrr Dec 30th, 2002 05:15 AM

Need urgent help re: a child's US Passport
I need to know if a minor child's parents names will be listed on the child's US Passport. More specifically, if so, will the child's mother's name be listed as it appears on the passport application or will it be listed as it appears on the child's birth certificate? In our case, the child's mother reverted back to her maiden name after divorcing my husband. The child's birth certificate, of course, still lists the mother's name as it was when she was married. Which one of the mother's last names will appear on the child's passport?

Ryan Dec 30th, 2002 05:26 AM

My 1 year old son's passport only has his name on it. Parents are not listed. In terms of the passport application and the name change, I'd ask them at the passport office. However, I seem to recall that both my wife and I needed to sign the passport application. <BR><BR>Depending on where you are going, you might want to check the rules for entry when only one parent is present. Some countries require consent of the second parent.

m Dec 30th, 2002 05:31 AM

No, the parents names are not listed on a kids passport. At least, on my sons' passport, which we got 2 years ago when he was six, (and I'm looking at it now, the only name on it is his, and my signature, on the signature line, which is M-M- for son A- R-. (I have a different last name than my son) You can find answers on line at the passport site - do a google search or search this site. More importantly, if you are taking your stepchild(?) overseas or to mexico, I have heard that it is helpful to have a letter from BOTH parents that the child is allowed to leave the country. good luck.

nina Dec 30th, 2002 05:34 AM

Ryan is correct, only the child's name appears on a passport, HOWEVER, for many foreign countries, unless your husband has full custody of the children, you must travel with a notorized letter from the children's mother stating that she has given permission for the children to leave the country without her.<BR><BR>This is even true of married parents when one parent is traveling with minor children. When we've gone to Mexico or the Dominican republic without our husbands, my sister and I needed to bring notorized letters signed by our husbands that we have their permission to take the children out of the country.<BR><BR>This is something that many TA's are unaware of, so make sure you have the letter with you. There have been instances where the children were denied boarding without the letters.

curious Dec 30th, 2002 08:22 AM

rrr, The question leads me to believe that you are either trying to pass your stepdaughter off as your own child, or are taking the child out of the country without her mother's permission. Why else would it matter how the child's/parent's name appears?<BR><BR>You wouldn't be trying to do anything sneaky and illegal like that, would you?

LN Dec 30th, 2002 08:37 AM

Your question could be a bit complicated. Sounds like you need a call to the Passport Office.

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:33 PM.