Reload this Page >

Need summer ideas for Lincoln, NH/Loon Mountain area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 07:33 AM
Penny

My family is renting a condo in Lincoln, NH (across from Loon Mountain) next week. We usually go to Cape Cod in the summer, so this is a new summer location for us.

What are some must-sees in this area? You're not getting me on a gondola ride. We've got two young teens (15 and almost-13), and we will probably want to do a little hiking, but not a lot. We would be willing to drive a bit--say, to Mount Washington--but not every day.

I know there's lots of summer theater in NH, but I don't think the playhouse in Lincoln will be having performances till July. Are there any theaters that will be performing yet?

What are the best restaurants for pizza, Italian food, breakfast?

Are there good places to go biking and rent bikes?

Thanks!

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 07:49 AM
betsy

Penny,
Be sure to drive through Franconia Notch. There are plenty of hiking opportunities there. Be sure to see the "Old Man of the Mountains" and The Basin. The Flume is also a nice attraction. There is a waterpark called the "Whale's Tale" which is off the exit that is just after the Lincoln exit.
As for theater, there is a small one in Whitefield (1/2 or so away) that is very popular with people who live in that area. It's called the Weathervane Theater. I'm not sure when the season starts for them though.
If you feel the need to do some shopping, you can drive over the Kancamangus Hwy to North Conway, an outlet mecca. Or, you could drive up to Littleton which has a cute Main St. with some nice stores.
For food, I like the Woodstock Inn in North Woodstock. A great breakfast place would be Polly's Pancake Parlor in Sugar Hill. Unfortunately, my favorite restaraunt in Lincoln burned down last winter-The Common Man. If by chance they've rebuilt and reopened, be sure to check that out. Have fun!
PS. The gondola ride isnt that bad! I'm a skier though, so I'm used to them!

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 08:56 AM
Susan

Dear Penny
We are up there quite often and there are many fun things to do. There is a gondola that takes you to the top of Loon Mountain. When you get to the top there are caves that you can climb through and a little hiking (also blueberries!). There is a great water park called Whale's Tale. Always a good time. We did Clark's last summer -that was fun. Lost River and Polar Caves are both alot of fun.
We have eaten at Woodstock Station in North Woodstock and have had a great meal each time. We go in back to the lounge/bar area and it is pretty casual. Enjoy your trip - it is a great area.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 10:46 AM
Beth

Do the gondola! I'm afraid of heights too and it's not that bad - just face forward. Lot's of nice hiking up there. Also, be sure to go to Lost River. Beautiful and a nice tame "hike" with cool caves. Clarks Trading Post is fun, and I've heard the Whale's Tale is very nice (esp. for younger kids). For a nice dinner, ask about the dinner train that's up there. I can't remember the name. Have fun!

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 07:18 AM
Ann

Your kids will love the alpine slide at Attatash. You take the chairlift up and slide down the mountain on a sled in a concrete shoot. You control the speed, so it's only as thrilling as you want it to be.

Take the cog railroad up Mt. Washington, or if you're hesitant about the cog, take the van. Don't drive up yourself unless you're very good at mountain driving and want to put that kind of strain on your car. The vans on the auto road are built for their job (gears are specially built) and the drivers know the road in their sleep...so you can enjoy the ride. At the top is a museum, the weather observatory (private unless you're a member) and the VIEW!

At the bottom of the auto road is a bike center where I think you can rent bikes and ride on their property at the lower levels of Mt. Wash. In the winter it's a x-country ski area.

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 07:34 AM
herself

These are two of our favorite hikes on the K-Highway.
The first hiking entrance, same side of the road as your condo on the highway.
It is a flat hike along the river, stay to the right at the fork. Hang a left before going over brige. This will take you up a short distance to some natural water slides and deep pools. You sit in a sluces formed by the water and get shot out the fall into a body of water. Much better that Disney.
The other hike is up Potash. 360 degree view from the top.
You should get the AMC hiking guide book for this area. We always stay away form the commercial places ie Whales Tale, Lost River etc.
There is, or use to be great clay tennis courts at that Condo.
Have a great vacation.

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 11:32 AM
Sandra

Hi Penny,

There is a bike trail (paved, no cars) that starts near Loon Mountain and it goes for about 7 miles. I've not been yet (plan to this summer) but it goes by the Old Man in the Mountain and by Profile lake. I'm not sure about where to rent bikes but there should be someplace nearby.

I also would encourage you to try the gondola. I did it on my very first trip to WT Mtns. I rememeber sitting at the top and looking down at airplane gliders riding the updrafts. This was one of the trip highlights for me and the beginning of my love affair with the White Mountains (although I love the cape also) There are lots of wonderful hikes in the area and I would suggest you purchase a book that lists some. A good hike is to Lonesome Lake which leaves from Lafayette campbround. Also the hike to Artists Bluff which starts across from the base of Cannon Mt. is a nice short hike with great views of the Notch. Visit the Flume which charges $5.00 but is worth it. There's a film at the Visitor Center and a nice walk through the Flume that is really pretty and nice and cool if it's a hot day. If you search on Amzazon or Borders for hiking books look for 50 hikes in NH or family hikes in the White Mountains or titles like that. I have a couple of these type books and the hikes listed are always good. You could also get a topographical map of the White Mountains that will have all the trails on it. I think you can get it from the AMC. Try their website.

Be sure and go on the Kancamagus from Lincoln to Conway - beautiful views and lots of places to stop and explore. North Conway does have lots of shopping but also lots of traffic.

Enjoy

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 03:56 AM
judy

When we were at Loon a friend took us to the greatest breafast diner called Sunny Day Diner.It was so delicious. Our kids loved it and there were also some adult type specialty items like grilled salmon and eggs. It is quaint, very busy, and they serve large portions. We didn't eat lunch that day. Definitely a worthwhile visit. I am not sure the town name, but it is right outside Loon and near Clarks Trading Post. I think anyone you ask will be able to direct you. Also I second the recommendation going to Pollys Pancake Parlor. It is an experience I had as a child with my family and my sisters and parents still think back on it with wondeful memories. It is not a cheap breakfast, but it is so rustic and quaint, beautiful spot, and the food is so fresh and wholsome. They serve on the tables a tray with all kinds of maple products to use on your food - maple sugar, maple butter.. The syrup is fantastic. It is a bit of a drive but you should go if you are looking to take a drive and explore the surrounding area.