Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need suggestions on St. George/Bryce/Zion/Vegas Trip!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2000, 04:03 AM
Kim

We need some guidance as I know what I'd like to do but am not quite sure how to go about it. I'd like to fly into Vegas, rent a car, see St. George, Bryce and Zion (I haven't even cracked open a map yet as this is such a good source of info) then drive back to Vegas and spend a couple of days. I'd have about 7 days and it would be in the first week of October. Any suggestions on places to stay, what to see, where to eat?

St. George is not that important, just wanted to check it out as a lot of my parent's friends seem to be flocking there from Chicago and I'd like to see why.

Thanks for your help!!

Old Feb 28th, 2000, 10:00 AM
Diane

Kim, two summers ago we flew in and out of Vegas for our trip out west and it worked out great. My recommendations:

Monte Carlo, Las Vegas(loved the pools)

St. George-Best Western Abbey Inn-this was just a stop on our way back to Las Vegas but we loved this place. They had a gas grill out by the pool and we ended up having a wonderful evening grilling steaks and sipping wine poolside (we were getting tired of restaurants at this point anyway). The rooms all have microwaves and fridges and they had a complimentary, full breakfast buffet which was excellent. If you plan on buying a bottle of wine in St. George, be forewarned, we had to go to a liquor store to purchase it but then was informed that it was against Utah law for the liquor store to sell us a corkscrew so we ended up having to buy one from a bartender in a restaurant...
interesting...

Bryce Canyon-Best Western Rubys Inn-be sure to check out the rodeo across the street. The hoodoos at Bryce Canyon are
awesome!

Zion-we just cruised through the north entrance at Zion; didn't spend the night.

Hope this helps! Have fun!

_

Old Feb 29th, 2000, 08:23 AM
sarz

Stayed at the MGM fall of '98 and loved it!!! Going back in May. Really fantastic buffet. Close to everything and really nice pools.

Roadtripped from CO to Vegas and it was the most beautiful drive. Utah is INCREDIBLE!!!!!! Bryce canyon is wonderful - definately a must. I have no idea about hotels there, we camped. A little chilly in Sept. but it was astoundingly beautiful. As was Zion.

The "civilization" of Vegas was heaven after camping for days. Stayed at the MGM for 2 nights, did hardly any gambling but enjoyed every minute.

Have a great time.

Old Feb 29th, 2000, 01:00 PM
Sara

When we were at Zion last Summer, we stayed at Flanigan's in the town of Springdale, right outside of the National Parl entrance. I highly recommend it; the rooms are spacious and attractive and have a patio or balcony, a varied breakfast buffet is included, the restaraunt is great, and it has a pool and hot tub. The rates are reasonable, too. They have a website at www.flanigans.com (that's how we found them).
The restaraunts in the park lodges at both Zion and Bryce were good, too. Zion and Bryce are both spectacular, and very different from one another. Zion has some very good hiking trails, from easy to challenging - don't miss the weeping rock (a very short hike from the parking area). The canyon overlook trail, next to the tunnel, is not too difficult, and rewards you with amazing views. When you're at Bryce, take a hike down among the hoodoos - what an awesome place! Be sure to catch the sunset (or sunrise, or both) from Bryce Point- my mouth was literally hanging open from the wonder of it all. You'll have a great time on your trip.

Old Feb 29th, 2000, 02:17 PM
Helen

I concur with Sara. I wanted to post about Springdale, UT, but couldn't remember the name of the place we stayed - which of course was Flanagan's. (It's been a couple of years.) Sara's description is accurate - it's a lovely & comfortable place, in a spectacular setting. I believe I found them listed in a guidebook (maybe even a Fodor's product!) In addition to their restauant, there are some very good places to eat in Springdale itself - it's kind of a funky little town. We did a day trip to Bryce from there - no overnight. I took an unreasonable number of pictures there, but once you see it you'll know why. It certainly merits an overnight,if you have the time.
I don't see the appeal of St. George, personally, though admittedly it was no more than a pit stop between Vegas & Springdale for us. The parks are so spectacular, I would try to spend as much time as possible there.
PS we were there in Oct. '97, the weather was great.

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 07:34 AM
Kim

Thanks for the help!!!

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 08:54 PM
Eve

Hi Kim,
We just returned from that area. We spent two nights at south rim of Grand Canyon, drove to Bryce and spent one night there and then drove to Zion and spent one night there. We like the convenience of staying inside the parks so we spent the night at the lodges and had good experiences at each. We especially enjoyed the little cabin we stayed in at Zion. When you go to Zion, the drive from the east is especially spectacular. I don't remember the name of the highway but I think it was about 20+ miles long and you go through a tunnel about a mile long. You come out at the Mt. Carmel Junction at the south entrance to the park. You will enjoy that drive very much. E-mail me if you would like more information. Have fun.

Old Apr 19th, 2000, 03:23 PM
vicki

Have traveled to about 15 of our national parks and of them all Bryce is probably still my favorite. Its a great place to hike or just to sit and absorb the beauty around you. Zion is also spectacular and great hiking. I stayed in the lodges in both parks and was very happy there. If you have time- drive a bit through Escalante - or go over to Kodachrome Valley- both not too far from Bryce. I just drove through St. George so I can't help you there. While Vegas is fun- I'd personally skip it and maybe think of including Capital Reef National Park a few hours drive from Bryce. Very different from the other two.

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 10:31 AM
Perry

Just returned from outr trip to GC Bryc and Zion..AWESOME!!..Stayed at Best Western in Tucsyan..very nice!
Flanagans Inn at Springdale Utah is Wonderful!..literally at the parks doorstep! A nice little town lots of good places to eat!..Hiked Emerald pools trail and Riverside trail to the narrows..INCREDIBLE hiking the river to the narrows! Unforgettable experience!
Hiked the Navaho loop trail at Bryce..Stunning views of the canyons and HooDoos! Have Fun!