Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need suggestions for family reunion on East Coast, summer of 2003.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Jeanne

We are planning a family reunion for the summer of 2003. We will be 4 families, with 6 kids ages 9 - 1, and 4 adults ages 65 - 33. Most of us live on Long Island, NY, so we think its best to stay on the East Coast. Our big "must haves" are Golf, a pool and a kitchen. A Beach would be an added plus. We have been to the outer banks. We would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Susy

We had a wonderful time at the New Seabury resort on Cape Cod when my niece had her wedding there (at the Popponesset Inn, on the grounds) last year.

They rent little townhouse condos that are complete with furnished kitchens. Cribs, first-floor bedrooms, etc. if needed.

The place is very very cute in a Nantucket/Celebration style, and we all had a wonderful time; plenty of privacy but opportunities to get together, too. The reservation people were a pain to deal with, but our family members rented a half-dozen of these cottages in the "Maushop Village" section and we all had a wonderful time.

They have a huge lovely private beach as well as famous golf, pool, tennis, etc. etc. Check the links for accommodations and recreation at

http://www.newseabury.com/

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 10:46 AM
susu

Cape Cod: check out Falmouth, Mashpee, Yarmouth, Chatham, and Harwich

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 10:59 AM
hans

I would recommend Myrtle Beach, SC.
LOTS of golf courses (18 holes and par 3's), warm water, wide beaches, tons of seafood restaurants, water parks, go-carts, small amusement parks (Charleston SC is fairly close for a day trip) the strip can get kinda crowded and the college kids liked to cruise the strip at night, but we had several families get together and rent a 5-bedroom house 1 block from the beach in a quiet residential neighborhood north of the strip. Plus Airtran flies into Myrtle Beach, so I think you could get from LaGuardia to Myrtle Beach fairly reasonably if you were flying in.

Hilton Head is also nice with plenty of golf, but less stuff for the kids.

Hans

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Sarah

Marriott on the former seaview country club grounds are very nice and last summer they were offering many promotionals as the grounds just opened. You would be inland about 10 miles from the coast but just a short drive from Atlantic City, Ocean City, and others.

I am not a golfer but loved my stay here

http://www.seaviewgolf.com/home.html

The condos are brand new and the grounds are lush green yet you can still smell the salt air.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Sarah

You know I just went online. I just wanted to point out that we stayed at the condos not the hotel. If you like this property call the hotel directly and get the condo rate. They are condos that are going to time shares so you might get a deal if you tell them you are considering a buy. We were there on just such a deal yet we did not have any kind of time share talk as you would expect. I think we paid $120 a night maybe less and we had comfortable lodging for 7 people.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Carmella

Has anyone ever heard of having a fund raiser for a family reunion? A coworker of mine is having a fundraiser to cover their airfare, hotel and all other reunion costs. I never heard of this before.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 12:36 PM
xxx

What are they doing for the fundraiser?

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Jen

Doing a fundraiser for anything other than charity is really really tacky.

It's even tackier than specifying that you want cash instead of wedding gifts, since in the latter case people are probably going to give you something anyway.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 01:40 PM
sn

We had a GREAT family reunion last year at the Kingmill resort in Williamsburg, VA. While no beach, the golf is phenomenal, beautiful pool and grounds. The rooms can be combined to form a suite with a common living room, huge kitchen, etc.--very conducive to visiting. Also, lots of nice places to eat, drink, etc. and close to Colonial Williamsburg for those who want an outing.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 09:49 AM
hans

Virginia Beach is probably 1 hr 15 min to 1.5 hours from Williamsburg.