Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Need suggestions for a place to go. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/need-suggestions-for-a-place-to-go-961932/)

sam2012 Jan 8th, 2013 08:00 AM

Need suggestions for a place to go.

Hi,

I got some excellent suggestions here for my last 2 trips and hence I am back again. I am thinking about a 4-5 day trip with my family starting this friday. I initially thought about Washington DC (planned that trip earlier but could not make due to Sandy), but it seems that it is going to rain there during the weekend and also on monday-tuesday. So I am not sure where to go.

I am open to suggestions about places where I can drive to, preferably not more than 12 hours drive time each direction. I would like to avoid snowy-icy driving conditions. I will be driving from Springfield, IL.

Thanks for your help.

Continental_Drifter Jan 8th, 2013 08:30 AM

Wow... really broad inquiry. How about NYC or Toronto?

sam2012 Jan 8th, 2013 08:48 AM

Yea, really broad. Toronto, not possible, need to stay in US. NYC seems to be the same problem as DC, rain.

Thanks for the reply. Another thing I forgot to mention is we are not looking for any ski-trips or snowy mountain stuff. We are not scared of cold that much, but would like to avoid snow/rain/ice.

boom_boom Jan 8th, 2013 09:02 AM

Don't know what the weather forecast is like, but how about Nashville or Memphis for BBQ and good music. Or, a bit further, Gattlinburg, TN?

RoamsAround Jan 8th, 2013 09:02 AM

Gosh! How about giving us some hints?

How many and what ages are the people in your family?

What type of activities interest you?

What's your budget?

How far are you willing to drive?

Lastly, since you are canceling a scheduled trip because of anticipated rain and you don't want snowy-icy driving conditions do you expect us to give you suggestions based on predicted weather for a specific area for this weekend? Seriously, you'll have to do your own weather research.

I'll assume you are comfortable with the same 12 to 14 hour drive it will take to get to Washington, DC. If so, go south to avoid wintery weather - look at Charleston, SC, Charlotte, NC, Atlanta Georgia, Little rock, AK, Dallas/Fort Worth, TX, Oklahoma City, OK, New Orleans, LA.

Hint: Go to Google Maps and see what cities and places are within a a 500 to 700 mile radius of Springfield. There are literally hundreds of interesting places.

sam2012 Jan 8th, 2013 09:20 AM

Thanks boom_boom and RoamsAround.
Not interested in Nashville or Memphis, but looked at Gatlinburg, again rain is a problem it seems.

Well, here are some more details, sorry for not putting them in the first post.

There are four of us, all adults. Me and my wife in early 30s and parents in early 60s. We like to see scenic places, famous places (thats why wanted to go to DC, my dad likes to talk about the famous places he has seen). We are not looking for hiking, skiing, etc.

I will be happy if I can spend less than 600 for hotel and whatever money I will spend on gas and food will be additional.

At the most I am willing to drive 14 hrs. I looked into Charleston and it looks interesting to me. Haven't yet looked into the other places you mentioned.

I thought of going to google maps and finding out places that way, but I dont know much about not so well known gems. Thats why wanted to get some suggestions.

Thanks.

Brian_in_Charlotte Jan 8th, 2013 09:36 AM

I wouldn't want to have to drive that far, but the weather in Charleston is looking fantastic for next week. Sounds like it could match your group's interests, but you may have to stay outside of the historic district with your hotel budget.

TC Jan 8th, 2013 01:18 PM

Wow....a budget of $600 for 4 adults' hotel for 5 nights is a stretch anywhere. Here is a listing for a corporate apartment in Charleston, SC for $99 -- 2 bedrooms/2 baths.

Although I wouldn't want to make that drive, Charleston is a wonderful city and would surely fill the bill for your trip. Lots of history, loads of charm, great food.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationR..._Carolina.html

sam2012 Jan 9th, 2013 05:50 AM

I meant 600 per night for 2 rooms (300 per room per night). Sorry about the confusion. Thanks for the link though.

Brian_in_Charlotte Jan 9th, 2013 06:43 AM

It's last minute, but you should have lots of good options in Charleston's historic district at that price (assuming there are still rooms available).

TC Jan 9th, 2013 09:11 AM

Well, Sam...if you are heading out <u>this</u> friday, you better make a quick destination decision. :)

Gardyloo Jan 9th, 2013 09:22 AM

Shorter drive, why not head down the Mississippi - maybe Vicksburg or Natchez? Stop at the Delta Blues Museum in Clarksdale, eat BBQ at Abe's at the Crossroads of the Blues, drive the Natchez Trace and see the Vicksburg Civil War cemetery.

Continental_Drifter Jan 9th, 2013 05:31 PM

New Orleans is also great for a long weekend trip. It's 12 hours 4 minutes from Springfield.

Hotels and dining are reasonably priced and there's a TON to do there. We love NOLA.

Try it!

starrs Jan 10th, 2013 04:38 AM

I agree with CD. New Orleans!

sam2012 Jan 10th, 2013 05:36 AM

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Seems like I will be going to either Charleston or Washington. Had some talks with hotels at both places. Still some room left, I will have to decide by afternoon though.

Gardyloo, some excellent options there, thanks a lot. Never heard about those places. Googled them and found them to be extremely interesting. Maybe some day in near future.

My coworker recently went to New Orleans and had very bad stories to tell. So I am little apprehensive about that place. Maybe sometime in future.

Once again, thanks a lot.