Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Need some help with Luas (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/need-some-help-with-luas-46620/)

Marie Jun 17th, 1999 10:15 AM

Need some help with Luas

My boyfriend and I will be in Oahu & Maui in July. We would really like to go to an authentic Lua. We were also wondering what is the best place to go snorkeling (have heard Molikini Crater is good but VERY CROWDED, is it still worth it??) I would appreciate any recomendations. Actually I would appreciate any recomendations anyone wants to give about anything else in Hawaii. Thanks a lot <BR> <BR> Marie

k Jun 17th, 1999 01:32 PM

Hi Marie: I'll try again. My earlier post vanished into fodor-cyberspace. <BR> <BR>This is a distinction you'll want to make. It's LUAU, not LUA :-) <BR> <BR>As for Oahu LUAUS, Paradise Cove in Ko Olina is often recommended. A good point for general Oahu information is http://www.visit-oahu.com/ <BR>All the major islands have web sites, often cited here. <BR>There are wonderful snorkeling sites all over Hawaii. Some may or not be appropriate, depending on your experience and ability level. Your hotel concierge can easily provide this type of information. <BR> <BR>Have fun! <BR>

k Jun 17th, 1999 01:33 PM

Hi Marie: I'll try again. My earlier post vanished into fodor-cyberspace. <BR> <BR>This is a distinction you'll want to make. It's LUAU, not LUA :-) <BR> <BR>As for Oahu LUAUS, Paradise Cove in Ko Olina is often recommended. A good point for general Oahu information is http://www.visit-oahu.com/ <BR>All the major islands have web sites, often cited here. <BR>There are wonderful snorkeling sites all over Hawaii. Some may or not be appropriate, depending on your experience and ability level. Your hotel concierge can easily provide this type of information. <BR> <BR>Have fun! <BR>

Ruth Jun 17th, 1999 02:43 PM

Hi Marie, <BR> <BR>My first recommendation for a luau would be to buy a "tour package" that takes you to the Polynesian Cultural Center at the North Shore of Oahu, the package that only takes you to the luau/evening show. You are picked up and delivered back to your hotel; the show alone is so gorgeous that it's worth the price of your tour. <BR> <BR>Another one would be the Old Lahaina Luau on Maui, supposed to be as authentic as any you'll get in the islands now. (Haven't been to it, but the most reliable Hawaiian/resident writers always rave about this one.) DO NOT GO to the Marriott Luau/Kaanapali. We were just there in February, and felt it was definitely not worth the money, even though some travel "bibles" recommend it! <BR> <BR>There are many wonderful snorkeling spots, lots of times right in front of your hotel. There is not much that the concierge can't help you with - they're usually great! <BR> <BR>Aloha, RH

Lucille Jun 17th, 1999 09:47 PM

Aloha Marie, <BR>Lua means toilet in Hawaiian. A big difference from luau, feast. Many hotels have luau for the tourist but the food is so foreign that it really doesn't matter. Just enjoy the entertainment. <BR>

chuck Jun 18th, 1999 05:20 AM

We just returned from our seventh trip to Maui and would recommend the Old Lajaina Luau as the most authentic. If you must do a hotel Luau we prefer the Hyatt to the Marriot. <BR> <BR>Snorkeling at Molikin is great but as you said it will be crowded with boats. But once everyone is in the water, each boat kind of has its own territory so you don't feel overly crowded. So its best to go on a smaller boat that will have less passengers so you will have more room by your boat.

Marie Jun 18th, 1999 07:45 AM

Hi all! Thanks so much for all your responses. This will be my first time in Hawaii, so any info is really appreciated. I realized as soon as I sent my message that I had spelled Luau incorrectly, but it was too late. Did'nt realize I was really asking for help with toilets!!! <BR> <BR>Thanks - Marie

Karen Jun 18th, 1999 10:10 PM

For snorkeling you might also try booking a day with a woman named Ann Fielding. She does personalized snorkel tours and she is WONDERFUL. We booked her for our first day on Maui and she not only took us to great places but also recommended other places for us to go on the rest of our trip -- places we wouldn't have gone to otherwise because we didn't know where they were or how to find them! Her prices are very reasonable too. Her website is: <BR>http://www.maui.net/~annf/ <BR> <BR>P.S. Molokini Crater is great as long as you book with a small ship instead of one of the "booze cruises" where you're fighting for space. Try to get one of the ones that gets there early and leaves there early -- nicer conditions and less crowds.

Phil Jun 21st, 1999 06:24 PM

I just got back from Maui June ninth. We went to the Old Lahaina Luau and really enjoyed it.I made reservations around ten days ahead of time.I opted for the tables as my girlfriend has a knee problem. The location was excellent right next to the ocean.All the drinks and food you could eat were included. It was nice to watch the sun set as we ate dinner. The show was excellent and we had a great evening.As far as snorkeling on Maui we did not do the Molikini Crater trip as we had just gone on an all day trip to Lanai on trilogy tours. But we stayed at the Sheraton and I snorkeled every day at black rock in front of the sheraton. Another good place to snorkel is in Wailea up the road from the four seasons hotel at the Ahini-Kinau Natural area reserve.The snorkeling was excellent but make sure you have fins or beach shoes as there is a lot of coral.If you do go make sure you drive further up the road and also see the lava fields. The final place which is also free is past Kapalua in Honalua bay.

Mary Jun 22nd, 1999 08:55 AM

Marie, <BR> <BR>We were just in Maui in May and went to the Old Lahaina Luau. It was great. You do have to make reservations ahead of time as they always sell out. We made ours 10 days ahead and got the traditional seating which is on a pillow . I would opt for that. When you make reservations, you are assigned a table then, so the sooner you make them, the better seat you will get. Have fun!