Need running routes in Waikiki and Kaanapali

Old Mar 5th, 2004, 07:01 AM
christine_acosta

Need running routes in Waikiki and Kaanapali

Hi, I am currently training for my very first marathon and will be vacationing in Hawaii from Mar 20-28 (Waikiki and Kaanapali). Can anyone please give me a 13-mile route that I can start and end from the Sheraton Waikiki as well as a 13-mile route right around the Westin Maui? Thanks in advance-only 2 more weeks!

Old Mar 5th, 2004, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately there aren't a lot of low traffic side roads in west Maui which go on for miles. In the past I've run along highway 30 and thought it was OK. Certainly more scenic than home!
From Kaanapali north to Kapalua on highway 30 is 6.5 miles, so out and back would be 13. Nice breezes usually keep you cool as well.
One option to consider.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 07:35 AM

From the Westin At Kaanapali you don't have much choice. The Honoapiilani Highway is a few hundred yards from the Westin. Then you either run 6.5 miles south toward Lahaina and back, or 6.5 miles north toward Kapalua and back. The stretch going south is pretty flat while there might be a slight elevation going north. This is a busy highway but there is a wide paved shoulder to run on.

From the Sheraton Waikiki step out the front door and turn right on Kalakua Avenue and run as far as you want past Diamond Head (a beautiful run).
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 07:36 AM

The Honoapiilani Highway is Highway 30.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 08:47 AM

Christine, I run marathons and train in Honolulu. You can train as a guest with www.teamjethawaii.com. I am not sure, but I think you can get some routes from www.mprrc.com (or links from that site).

I have the routes in my head but it's hard to convey to someone new to Honolulu. Best to find a group to train with. How fast do you run? I am training for the Paris Marathon on Apr. 4.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 12:10 PM

My friend Rick Varley just published a book, "The Runner's Guide to Oahu." It includes details on all our favorite routes, including where to find the water fountains.....important in Hawaii! Also there are 4 trail runs in the book.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 09:29 PM

Funny this topic would come up. My wife is a runner and the grass that fronts Waikiki Beach is very nice running , if you head toward Diamond head there is a park also on your left, and running trails arround it. You might get lucky and there is music played there all the time in the big gazzebo. As for maui i would suggest the Baby grand Canyon hikes there are many , the one we liked was to the sacred pools, but there are many and some offer some running. The highway is ok but a little busy ( traffic ). sail