Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Need restaurant suggestion for Wellfleet or vicinity (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/need-restaurant-suggestion-for-wellfleet-or-vicinity-894875/)

Kwoo Jun 14th, 2011 06:13 AM

Need restaurant suggestion for Wellfleet or vicinity

Hello,
On June 28 I will be staying in Wellfleet for one night with my mother & sister. Although we have been to the Cape many times, I would like some restaurant suggestions for Wellfleet or nearby towns. It seems like we always go to the same places. We definitely want a restaurant that serves fried clams (a priority); it could be either a clam shack or something a little pricier. We have eaten many times at Arnolds, so don't want to go there. Last year we ate at Moby Dick's which we enjoyed, but they don't serve alcohol, & we would prefer not to bring our own. We have also eaten at Lobster Pot & Surf Club in Provincetown.

We have had lunch at the Bookstore Restaurant in Wellfleet & am thinking of going there for dinner. Other possibilities are Catch of the Day, Mac's Seafood Restaurant or Mac's Shack or possibily Lobster Claw in Orleans or Bubalas in P'town. What are your thoughts/experiences with these? Any other suggestions?
Thanks!

cw Jun 14th, 2011 09:34 AM

Kwoo,

I've eaten at both of the Mac's--the shack on Commercial St. and the Seafood "restaurant" on the harbor. They both have fried clams but you need to go to the Shack to get alcohol and sit at tables inside or out. I think Mac's Shack is one of the best places around.

We also liked Pearl, which is next to the Bookstore. They have a nice deck on the back if the weather is good. The Wicked Oyster is very popular but I don't think they have fried clams.

I also liked Catch of the Day but for your one dinner I'd go somewhere with a little more Cape Cod atmosphere.

Kwoo Jun 15th, 2011 04:42 AM

Thanks cw.
Has anyone eaten at Bayside Betsy's in P'town?

bachslunch Jun 15th, 2011 04:55 AM

Kwoo, I've only been to Bubula's of the places you listed. It seems to be pretty popular given the crowds, but I found the food middle of the road in quality.

jubilada Jun 15th, 2011 05:43 PM

I'd go to Mac's Shack or to Blackfin in Truro. Bubulas is mediocre, as is Lobster Claw, IMO.

yellowbyrd Jun 16th, 2011 03:22 AM

Bayside Betsy's has THE BEST clam chowder on the Cape. Sometimes we make a special trip in the winter...just for her chowder. I am not impressed with the rest of the menu but you really can not beat the clam chowder, IMO.

Kwoo Jun 16th, 2011 05:21 AM

Jubilada, do you mean Blackfish in Truro? I checked out their menu & it looks like they don't serve fried clams, which is what my sister really wants. But I'll show her the menu & she may change her mind. The menu sounds very interesting! If she still insists on fried clams, I think we'll try Mac's Shack since we are staying in Wellfleet; then we can always go to Winslow's Tavern for an after-dinner drink :-)

bachslunch Jun 16th, 2011 05:29 AM

On rereading Kwoo's list, I realized I have indeed been to the Lobster Claw in Orleans, and my experience there was a very positive one.

jubilada Jun 17th, 2011 11:58 AM

Yes, I did mean blackfish, sorry.
no fried clams, more upscale, but really good. if she wants fried clams Mac's shack doesn't have them either, you's have to go to the original Mac's.

jubilada Jun 17th, 2011 11:59 AM

not you's, you. sorry again!

cw Jun 17th, 2011 02:06 PM

jubilada: Mac's Shack does list fried clams on it's menu (and that's good news for me!).
http://www.macsseafood.com/pdf/2011_...Shack_Menu.pdf

jubilada Jun 18th, 2011 04:52 AM

cw: I'm sorry, you are right. I just didn't see it when I checked yesterday. I am so glad!!!

cw Jun 18th, 2011 05:21 AM

I'm glad too! but I don't remember them having fried clams when they first opened, so it's an easy mix-up. Maybe it's a new menu.

jubilada Jun 18th, 2011 04:01 PM

I always eat sushi there, so I probably just haven't noticed...

Kwoo Jun 19th, 2011 03:51 PM

I told my sister about Mac's Shack, so I think that's where we will go.

Bowsprit Jun 22nd, 2011 02:53 AM

Another suggestion: try The Mews in Provincetown.

jubilada Jun 22nd, 2011 04:30 AM

Kwoo: you won't be sorry. Hopefully it will be a beautiful evening and you can sit outside.

Kwoo Jun 24th, 2011 11:07 AM

Thanks to everyone for all your advice. Right now we are planning on going to Mac's Shack but I will put The Mews & other places on a list for the next time we are on the Cape, which might be in August.

Bowsprit Jun 24th, 2011 12:55 PM

You'll enjoy Mac's Shack. It's a great place.