Reload this Page >

NEED RESTAURANT INFO IN NEWPORT !

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2000, 11:41 AM
June

We will be staying at the Francis Malbone House (Any poinions on this place) Do we really have to eat breakfast with strangers in the morn? My husband and I arent into that. Anyway, are there any really nice dining options in Newprt other than the White Horse, Moorings, Blk. Pearl,Le Petit Auberge? Has anyone tried The Alve in Vanderbilt Hall or the Canfield House? Are there any other options here for fine dining? I would really appreciate anyones input. Thanks so much!! June

Old Jan 24th, 2000, 07:37 AM
Larry

There are maybe a few more REALLY nice places to eat besides the ones you mentioned, but I don't see the point. How many four star restaurants do you expect in a small seaside city? If all you are interested in is fine cuisine skip Newport and vacation in Boston or Manhattan.

Old Jan 24th, 2000, 11:13 AM
CTGal

We've visited Newport many times and have dined at all the restaurants you mentioned in your post. While they are all great, we found The Petit Auberge was the nicest all around - great food, great service and great atmosphere. It's really very romantic and less noisy than the others. Hope this helps!

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 09:03 AM
Jacqueline

I am from Rhode Island and while Newport has some great restaurants, I absolutely love the Seafare Inn in Portsmouth, RI. Wonderful atmosphere and great food. It's only about 15 minutes from Newport. This is a restaurant this is wonderful and undiscovered by the tourists. The chef is great.

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 07:21 AM
John

I lived in Newport for four years and recently spent a weekend there.

If you are looking for fine dining, there is no better option than the Black Pearl or the Seafare Inn.

The Seafare Inn is one of the most highly respected restaurants in the world. The chef/owner has won numerous awards both here and in Europe. I may be a little biased because I went to boarding school with his daughter, but I have eaten in a wide variety of posh restaurants and you will find few that hold a candle to the Seafare. because it is family-owned and operated, it's a formal restaurant that is not very snobby. Certain rooms at the restaurant are also very romantic. Believe me, it's worth the drive.

You will be close to the Black Pearl and other restaurants on the wharf. I suggest you just go with the flow and eat wherever you feel like. There is a great fish place on thames street that is very informal (and I believe cash-only) called Scales and Shells. There is also Purini's - a great Italian restaurant that everybody raves about (also cash only).