Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need Rental in Miami during Sony Ericsson Open?

Notices

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all - I cant figure out where to start for this trip. I'll be attending the Sony Ericsson Open 4/2-4/7 at Crandon Park (likely will be at the park every day, either for the morning or evening session). The organizers have a list of hotel deals that also include a shuttle to take us from the hotel to Crandon Park.

My question is...should I stay at a hotel with a shuttle and then cab around Miami for the other sightseeing we want to do? Should I use the shuttle but also get a rental car for checking out the rest of Miami? Will parking fees equal the cab fares? Will cabs be less stressful than driving around Miami?

The hotels w/shuttles that I need to research are: Doubletree Grand, Doubletree Coconut Grove, Hyatt, Courtyard Marriott, Hilton downtown.

Any advice on those hotels, or the feasibility of needing/renting a car would be great.

Thanks!
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 11:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
piccolascimmia:
I would stay in the hotel (with shuttle) if price is right for you. As far as a car I would rent one no matter what. Transportation here is horrendous and I do not know how easy it will be for you to find one every time you want to see something else, I personally enjoy my freedom (come and go as I please) and renting a car gives you that. What I would do in your situation: 1. Check hotel rates on my own (so I can compare what works for me). 2. Try Priceline for a better hotel for less money. (in the area check mark Key Biscayne, so you stay close) 3. Check with the hotels to see how much nightly parking costs here the average is $20.00, maybe a little more. 4. If you stay with one of the hotels that offers the free shuttle I would try that the first day and if it does not work bring your car the rest of your time there. I hope this helps a little good luck and enjoy your stay here. Gina
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 05:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,
I have the same problem, hubby and I will use shuttle to go from hotel to Crandon Park everyday but wonder if we could survive without a car. The parking fee is more expensive than the rental fees! I thought we may be able to walk to nearby places for food, especially breakfast.
Folks, anybody familiar with Coconut Grove area please, is it safe to walk around the area in daytime? or in the afternoon?
Thanks
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 06:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes it is safe to walk around the Grove during morning/day...even night.

Just stay away of anything past McDonald and Grand....you'll be fine in the hotel/central business area anytime.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 07:22 AM
GoTravel

Miami is really difficult without a car.

Hotwire usually has really good deals on rentals.

Old Feb 8th, 2008, 06:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the replies. The reason I hope to do without the car is that we will be at the tournament all day, therefore the car will just sit in parking garage costing 25 bucks a day. If we walk to get breakfast somewhere near the hotel, we could have lunch and dinner at Crandon Tennis Park.

Taxi from the airport to Coconut Grove should be less than a day parking fee of $25, I hope

Any restaurants or cafes in Coconut Grove that we should try? This is our first time visiting Miami so any advice is appreciated.
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 06:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coconut Grove is small and walkable so you can easily do it without a car. Lots of outdoor restaurants, too. Places to try for dinner - Le Buchon du Grove, French bistro. Book a table by the doors that open onto the street. Chistabelle's - new, it's a New Orleans style place, dressy. Jaguar, cerviche bar. Very Miami. Mr. Moe's - this is a sports bar, BBQ, sandwiches.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We saw a "dockside" bed & breakfast on a large Hatteras motoryacht in the marina on Virginia Key next door to where the shuttle picks up. Free parking for your car, too. www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I alawys rent from enterprise at the airport. They are so nice, and efficient. Love them. If you are not used to driving in a very big city, driving there can be very stressful. I've used a cab in Miami too. But never for really great distances. Cabs can really add up after a while. Not sure about public busses...