Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need recommendation for Newark to JFK private shuttle for 8

Old Oct 15th, 2019, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're two families, 8 people, needing to get from Newark to JFK in July for a trip to Europe. We'll be landing in Newark at 1pm and need to get to JFK for a 5:30pm flight to Budapest. With 8 in our group I think we'd definitely go with a private shuttle. I'm assuming there isn't another way that someone would recommend we make this trip??

Assuming a private shuttle is the best route...are there any companies out there that rise to the top for dependability, safety, clean vehicles, etc?
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 07:25 PM
J62

Have you looked into flying into JFK?

If you land at 1, assume you'll get your bags and to a vehicle by around 2. At weekday rush hour you should be able to get to JFK departure terminal by about 3:30 or 4, just in time to catch your onward flight.
Flying into JFK would save you 8 a lot of hassle getting across the city from one airpor to another.
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Tickets are done...using frequent flyer miles for all 8. I'm seeing 1.5 hours for transfer times and we’re carrying our bags on, so no time at baggage claim. Hopefully time won’t be an issue. Any thoughts on shuttle recommendations?
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 08:18 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Check with Carmel Limousine. We always use them for airport trips.
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr View Post
Check with Carmel Limousine. We always use them for airport trips.
This is strictly anecdotal, but we had a horrible experience with Carmel on our last trip. Ordered a car in advance to go from JFK to LaGuardia. Despite assurance after assurance that it was “on its way” (also being told one car broke down on the way in, another couldn’t get into the airport due to construction, etc), after 45 minutes we cancelled and took Lyft. Then Carmel had the nerve to charge my CC (since reversed).
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 07:10 AM

We've used Dial 7 (https://www.dial7.com/index.html) with good results.

We've also used Carey (https://www.carey.com) - they have operations in a number of different cities, worldwide.
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 07:34 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We have used Carmel so many times, including a few weeks a go, as have our friends and everything has always been perfect. I am so sorry your trip was such a disaster.
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 12:47 PM

You don't want a shuttle (like SuperShuttle); you want a private car/van service.

Either Dial 7 or Carmel would work; I usually choose Carmel, but I've used both companies without any issues over the years. You'll need to get a quote because I don't think these prices are usually posted online, but it's going to cost around $200 to $240 before the tolls and tip, and you'll be cutting it extraordinarily close. Make sure you are checked in and have boarding passes, though if you don't have pre-check, you may still not make it. You have picked probably the worst time to do this transfer in the day if this is a weekday. It would be easier (but not easy) on a weekend.

Good luck, but the advice to look into changing airports is very good advice, and if you have any choice in the entire world but United, I'd take that advice. (To be honest, you'd probably be better off flying United into LGA instead of EWR because it's a much easier connection, despite the problems with construction.) The nice thing about LGA is that you could just jump into any two or three city taxis to do the transfer and wouldn't have to worry about a van/limo and that would not be difficult on any afternoon and would certainly cost the same or less.
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll check what the options are for changing to JFK...but these were "purchased" with FF miles about 2 months ago. I don't see them changing that leg w/out significant fees. But I'll certainly make an attempt. At this point we can't pay very much to change 8 tickets.

We will definitely be doing a car/van service, not a general shuttle.

This is a Thursday. We will be booked all the way through from our original destination. We'll have only carry on luggage. I thought 4.5 hours was plenty of time. I've been checking Google Maps multiple times at about the same time on a week day and it's almost always been 1hr 15 to 1hr 30. Assuming that our flight is on time (gamble...I know) I'm assuming the following:
arrive EWR 1:00pm
in shuttle 2:00pm at latest (allows for a little flight delay as well)
arrive JFK 3:30pm
flight out 5:30pm

******IMPORTANT UPDATE*******
Well, upon checking our flight info a few minutes ago I'm seeing they just changed our JFK to Budapest flight to leave JFK at 7pm (vs 5pm), so I'm now feeling better about our travel times.

Last edited by Wekiva; Oct 16th, 2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 09:49 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>******IMPORTANT UPDATE*******
Well, upon checking our flight info a few minutes ago I'm seeing they just changed our JFK to Budapest flight to leave JFK at 7pm (vs 5pm), so I'm now feeling better about our travel times.
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 05:08 AM

If your flight is now at 7pm, then you have plenty of time, and I'm not concerned at all. You'll likely even have time for a late sit-down lunch at JFK (depending on the terminal). If you are flying Lufthansa, be aware that Terminal 1 has JFK's worst selection of food, with nothing good after security (happily, that terminal will be torn down eventually). The food court is pre-security in Terminal 1. Terminal 4 (Delta and a lot of international airlines) has the best food options of any terminal at JFK, with several sit-down restaurants, a Shake Shack, and a decent bbq spot. If you are flying LOT (which has I believe the only nonstop to Budapest from JFK), then you'll be in Terminal 7, not my favorite by any means, but it's been improved recently.
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 05:35 AM
J62

if you are flying Lufthansa perhaps you could use this flight change on their part to get your flight changed to a Newark departure.... worth calling up the airline to check.
If it is on LOT, then they only fly from JFK.
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Yep...it's LOT. With the extra time I don't really mind the airport transfer. My sons had looked at the Verrazzano-Narrows bridge on Google Earth before so they'll enjoy riding across it.

Thanks for the input...I'll look into Carmel and Dial 7, I've seen them recommended other places as well