Reload this Page >

Need rec. for good remote B&B getaway within 150 miles outside Manhattan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 08:31 AM
JVS

We need a quiet getaway that is less than a 4 hour drive from Manhattan. (our budget is $120 or under). Prefer rural+ good fall foliage+quaint town.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Merilee

Check out any of the numerous websites for Bucks County, Pennsylvania (New Hope and Lahaska). It's about 2 hours from the city and it meets your needs.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 08:38 AM
diann

Try Bucks County Pa. New Hope, Lamberville, area. Extremely scenic, quaint towns, covered bridges. Antiques, nice restaurants. Very peaceful.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Sarah

Try Atlantic City! Not!

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 08:46 AM
JVS

Thanks for the rec- but I usually have bad luck choosing B&B's online (The photographers tend to crop out the highway just behind the Inn). Any specific rec's?

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 08:46 AM
diann

Merille, someone posted the question last week why does someone write the same thing as another poster. While I was writing about Bucks County and New Hope so where you. If you check the times. That is why the suggestions are sometimes duplicated. Well we have good taste.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Merilee

A few that come to mind are The Pineapple Hill Inn (it's about 4 miles to the center of town) and it includes a huge country breakfast, Porches on teh Towpath is situated along the Delaware Canal, and then there's the Inn at Peddler's Village in nearby Lahaska. I think you may prefer to stay in New Hope so that you can pretty much walk to all the shops and restaurants. You can also take a mule barge ride, a train ride, and see a play at the Bucks County Playhouse. Hope this helps.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 10:06 AM
XXX

iVE HEARD THE DELAWARE WATER GAP IS A GOOD PLACE FOR THE WEEKEND

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Jon

Though New Hope/Bucks County area is nice, it would be hard to find a room in most of the B&Bs for under $120 night.It is a very popular area, all year long. I also don't think it qualifies as rural, maybe not even quaint-it's a very busy area. There are places in upstate NY (above Ulster or Dutchess Counties) that are more "remote" and "rural" than anyplace closer to the city

BTW, If you're thinking about this year's fall foliage, you're completely out of luck. Virtually all B&Bs book up months in advance in good foliage viewing areas and have the highest rates of the year.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 10:25 AM
diann

Jon makes a good point. Most B&B's are more than likely booked this time of year. Many promote the idea of calling and checking for any cancallations. According to Jon's ananlogy, remote and rural may be hard to find this time of year. You could always try the Pocono's someplace. I still would vote for New Hope as there are nice things to do around the area as pointed out all ready. If not there is the Hudson Valley. Upstate N.Y. The Catskills.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Merilee

Another option is La Duchesse Anne in Mt. Tremper, New York (Catskills). It's a very quaint and quiet Victorian style b&b with a peaceful porch that you can sit on all day if you want to. There's also a wonderful restaurant on the premises that serves very good food. The woman who owns and runs it is named Martine. The telephone number is (845)688-5260. Of course, I don't know about availability, but the rates are usually in the $80 to $175.00 range. If you stay here you will be right near the very quaint town of Phoenicia and not far at all from Woodstock. Another idea is a b&b named the Caldwell House that is located in Cornwall, New York (Orange County and right over the mountain from West Point Military Academy). It's right near the wonderful Jones Farm, which sells baked goods and gifts. If it's not too cold you can sit outside with coffee and cake or pie. Cornwall has also a nice little Main Street, where there is a great pizzeria named Prima's complete with the original tin roof and soda fountain from years ago. They make delicious pizza and calzones. Cornwall has also a nice marina area where you can sit along the Hudson River. You could also visit West Point or Cold Spring from here.